The Student Room Group

Keele OR Manchester?

Hey there,

I have been to visit Manchester along with other universities recently. I cannot make my mind up whether I should apply to Keele or Manchester. This is mostly due to my low UKCAT score at 573 average. I know the Manchester application procedure pretty much inside out after speaking to the people themselves at the university. I know they rank the UKCAT, give the top 50% (at this stage) interviews and still consider the bottom 50%, referring back to their PS and references.

There was a problem with my UKCAT on the AR section and I got an incident report. This threw me off track for the DA section, which was even lower. My scores are 620, 630, 540, 500. I have been told to send emails/phone the universities once I apply to make sure they know about my incident. Apparently, all the universities receive a list of incidents from the UKCAT organisers, but I should send one myself to clarify this.

So, I am not sure whether to apply to Keele as I know they put less emphasis on the UKCAT. I got 5 As in maths, english language & literature, dual award science at GCSE with 4 Bs in electronics, french, german and history. I am taking my A2 having dropped english language, and achieved AAA(d) at AS, with the d (in english language) being remarked. My other subjects are biology, chemistry and maths. I am predicted AAA.

I really want an interview from either of this universities, but I don't know which one to go for. Don't particularly love Manchester although it is a good university. I Haven't even visited Keele, which is a bit annoying but I would get to on an interview at least.

Could you guys/girls please help me out here and give your honest opinions?

Also, does anyone know the applicants per place for Keele? I know it was 7.9 at Manchester in 2007, which isn't too helpful but it's not a lot. I was wondering if Keele has more per place as there are only 130 places.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think you'd be more likely to get an interview at Keele; I know some great medics who couldn't get interviews last year at Manc. mostly down to their UKCAT score.

I'd also imagine the applicant:redface:ffer ratio is higher at Manchester than Keele. I would suggest reading about the Keele course/visiting if you can before applying, since if all goes well you could potentially be spending five years there.
I agree with the above, but the Keele interview is a very, very intimidating experience! Trust me...

I'd personally apply to Manchester. It's just an awesome place to study, although I've heard some people haven't had the best clinical experience in the world there...:p: But for the socal side of things and all that it's unrivalled :smile:
graemematt
I agree with the above, but the Keele interview is a very, very intimidating experience! Trust me...

I'd personally apply to Manchester. It's just an awesome place to study, although I've heard some people haven't had the best clinical experience in the world there...:p: But for the socal side of things and all that it's unrivalled :smile:

Except by Leicester of course:biggrin:

If I were you OP, Id apply to Keele- but then you have to consider if all does goes well would you be happy spending 5 years there?
Reply 4
Miss_Scarlett
Except by Leicester of course:biggrin:

Pffft, not likely! Manchester is huuuge :biggrin:
Reply 5
graemematt
But for the socal side of things and all that it's unrivalled :smile:

Except by Newcastle :yep: :p:

No, they're both fairly equal.
Newcastle sucks. It is the worst red brick university. Do not go there at any cost. I would rather go to Durham if I had the choice between durham and newcastle.
Reply 7
Newcastle doesn't suck. It's a fantastic university, with a great reputation (not that it actually matters in this context).
Reply 8
nottinghameconomist
Newcastle sucks. It is the worst red brick university. Do not go there at any cost. I would rather go to Durham if I had the choice between durham and newcastle.

The latest incarnation of 'good'?
Keele is amazing!

OP i'd suggest taking a visit to here tho if you're thinking of applying...
Reply 10
nottinghameconomist

For medicine? The degree is jointly taught by Durham and Newcastle. You don't spend all the years at Durham (only pre-clinical, I think).

I really don't think you'd rather be in Stockton than Newcastle, the country's party and student capital :wink:

It's also techincally not a redbrick, but that's just being pedantic. It's redbrick in nature/history. Fantastic for architecture, agriculture and the sciences (particularly medical related subjects and stem cell research).

Edit: - Also, no one with any knowledge of medical schools would call Newcastle (or any medical school) crap.
Reply 11
Danielisew
Don't particularly love Manchester although it is a good university

Anyway, to get things back on topic, what is it you don't like about Manchester (the university, city or both?) Is it really the right environment for five years worth of study?

Also, there are no poor medical schools. It's not as if Keele is bad.
HauntingCrashed
Keele is amazing!

OP i'd suggest taking a visit to here tho if you're thinking of applying...

I agree with this. Some people thinks it's a lovely place to live - especially when it's either snowy or sunny but some people think it's too quiet. There's a pretty huge difference between Keele and Manchester in terms of nightlife and the type of campus.

You should probably be looking at these extra factors when you make your decision - you'll be at either of them a rather long time. There's a guide somewhere about the qualifications and ratios for each subject at Keele. I can't remember where though. I'll try and hunt it down after class :yep:
River85
For medicine? The degree is jointly taught by Durham and Newcastle. You don't spend all the years at Durham (only pre-clinical, I think).

I really don't think you'd rather be in Stockton than Newcastle, the country's party and student capital :wink:

It's also techincally not a redbrick, but that's just being pedantic. It's redbrick in nature/history. Fantastic for architecture, agriculture and the sciences (particularly medical related subjects and stem cell research).

Edit: - Also, no one with any knowledge of medical schools would call Newcastle (or any medical school) crap.
Not the medical school nor the city or even the university.

All three are fantastic.

To the OP:
back when I was applying there was barely a difference between the course structure at either. Try thinking about it in terms of whether you want life in the thick of a major city, or whether you prefer life in a more relaxed area. The difference in the course quality wont be anywhere near as big as the differences in location.
Reply 14
I'm sort of in a similair situation

i got 585 average on my UKCAT but loved manchester. i was trying to phone them today to ask whether they thought i should apply.

i have Work experience and voluntary work and academia is predicted 3A's and GCSE=6A*s,3and a half A's and half a C. i think it just comes down to UKCAT for me:frown:

sorry to sort of jump in with my own question but any advice please?
Tomber
The latest incarnation of 'good'?

You wish :shifty:
Reply 16
graemematt

Thanks for this but how is the interview intimidating especially? Aren't they all?

Also, I am able to see positives for both Manchester and Keele:

• Manchester is very well-known and a good university, which has been going for a lot longer than Keele.
Manchester is in a large city with everything you need nearby.
Keele is apparently a better medical school (arguably) according to the latest university league tables for medicine.
Keele is a much nicer area in my opinion.

I basically want to know: Where do I have MORE chance of getting an interview?

I would be willing to apply to either. Does anyone know figures for Applicants Per Place for each university? Need some more advice please as I need to make a rather important decision here! :smile: Just concerned with my low UKCAT score..

Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Danielisew
Where do I have MORE chance of getting an interview?

Keele, I think.
Reply 18
Danielisew
Keele is apparently a better medical school (arguably) according to the latest university league tables for medicine.

:eek:

*heads for cover*
Reply 19
More chance of an interview? I think Keele, personally.

Latest

Trending

Trending