The Student Room Group

Pop Music in France

Hi,

I'm doing my A2 French coursework on globalisation (including aspects of culture such as music), and just wondered what music is popular in France, excluding stuff from the UK/US. Looking at the recent Top 40, it seems that tracks like Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" and Rihanna's "Take A Bow" are quite popular, and there are a few French artists (that I've never even heard of - I was surprised to see that Carla Bruni isn't in the singles chart). However, what other types of music do you listen to? My teacher's just told me about la musique raï (Algerian), but do you listen to Asian music? Somehow I got the impression that Japanese rock is la mode"! :s-smilie:

Responses from les Français would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not French, but when I lived in France all I ever heard was French rap music and to a lesser extent, British or American pop music.
Reply 2
80s UK pop if they have any taste.
Reply 3
A lot of r'n'b seems to be going around at the moment - like shy'm

Yelle/mondotek/fatal bazooka type songs seem to be popular as well

There's also the old rock lovers as well making a comeback - Mademoiselle K is one to watch
Reply 4
Are you focusing about Pop or just music in France?
It's quite heavily influenced by the UK/US for the Pop/R'n'B/Rap stuff, but we do have a lot of French artists for every kind of music, be it Rap, Rock, Pop or Electro. I think it also depends on the social background (a bit sad but well… ), like middle-class people will stick to stuff like old French pop (mainly 70's-80's, like Emile et Images, Début de Soirée, Claude François), Rock (M, Camille, BB Brunes), Electro (Justice, Daft Punk, Vitalic), whereas others will listen to Rap (Diam's, Sinik, IAM), R'n'B (Shy'm, Melissa, Sheryfa Luna), and Pop is a bit shared, like both will listen to David Guetta, Bob Sinclar, Martin Solveig. But of course you'll find like Adele, Kate Perry, Rihanna, Kings of Leon, Coldplay, Calvin Harris as well.

If you have questions, I'd be happy to help!
Reply 5
Anatheme
Are you focusing about Pop or just music in France?
It's quite heavily influenced by the UK/US for the Pop/R'n'B/Rap stuff, but we do have a lot of French artists for every kind of music, be it Rap, Rock, Pop or Electro. I think it also depends on the social background (a bit sad but well… ), like middle-class people will stick to stuff like old French pop (mainly 70's-80's, like Emile et Images, Début de Soirée, Claude François), Rock (M, Camille, BB Brunes), Electro (Justice, Daft Punk, Vitalic), whereas others will listen to Rap (Diam's, Sinik, IAM), R'n'B (Shy'm, Melissa, Sheryfa Luna), and Pop is a bit shared, like both will listen to David Guetta, Bob Sinclar, Martin Solveig. But of course you'll find like Adele, Kate Perry, Rihanna, Kings of Leon, Coldplay, Calvin Harris as well.

If you have questions, I'd be happy to help!

Thanks, I'm really looking at the culture as a whole. We were allowed to choose whatever topic we wanted for this research project - others are doing immigration etc., but being "lazy" I thought I'd do globalisation, since it gives me a wider range of aspects of culture to talk about. I was going to mention music in passing, but just wondered if it was mainly music from the UK/US that you listen to (aside from the French artists you gave), or if Asian music's popular too. I picked the music charts as a starting point to get a feel for the current trends, and it'll also give me some evidence to back up any claims I make. I'll look into Algerian music too, but I'm curious to know where I got the idea that Japanese stuff's popular. It's no longer about the music - it's about proving I'm not insane! :p:
Reply 6
Muppety_Kid
Thanks, I'm really looking at the culture as a whole. We were allowed to choose whatever topic we wanted for this research project - others are doing immigration etc., but being "lazy" I thought I'd do globalisation, since it gives me a wider range of aspects of culture to talk about. I was going to mention music in passing, but just wondered if it was mainly music from the UK/US that you listen to (aside from the French artists you gave), or if Asian music's popular too. I picked the music charts as a starting point to get a feel for the current trends, and it'll also give me some evidence to back up any claims I make. I'll look into Algerian music too, but I'm curious to know where I got the idea that Japanese stuff's popular. It's no longer about the music - it's about proving I'm not insane! :p:

Asian music is really nothing to compare to the rest, I mean it's only people interested in Asia that listen to it, I don't, and I've never seen it on TV, nor did I hear it on the radio :no:. You do have channels and radio broadcasting Algerian music, but that's mainly in the south of France, I suppose that's because most Algerians live there. I think these charts (here and here) are quite accurate, I can't really judge now that I'm in the UK, but that's pretty what it was when I left France. We do have a lot of artists singing in English as well (Aaron, Air, Justice, David Guetta).
Reply 7
Anatheme
Asian music is really nothing to compare to the rest, I mean it's only people interested in Asia that listen to it, I don't, and I've never seen it on TV, nor did I hear it on the radio :no:. You do have channels and radio broadcasting Algerian music, but that's mainly in the south of France, I suppose that's because most Algerians live there. I think these charts (here and here) are quite accurate, I can't really judge now that I'm in the UK, but that's pretty what it was when I left France. We do have a lot of artists singing in English as well (Aaron, Air, Justice, David Guetta).

OK, thanks for your help. :smile:
Reply 8
Algerian music is quite popular in Paris, too- not exclusively in the south of France. I remember going to a warehouse with my parents in Rouen (Normandy) of all places, and there was a massive Rai concert there with Algerians attending from all over! Rai singers such as Khaled and Faudel who live in Paris are well known (and Faudel recently because of his controversial allegiance to President Sarkozy, which was splashed across newspaper Le Monde). Anyway, like Anatheme said there are a whole range of Francophone artists French people listen to...and I have to mention among the talent MC Solaar who is very popular! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending