The Student Room Group

Applying to top US colleges

Alright, so I have written a great essay for the Common App, achieved 7A*'s, 2A's, a B and a C (Additional Maths) in IGCSE and 2A's and 2B's in AS.

I am predicted 4 A's in my A2 subjects of Maths, Physics, Economics and Business and am likely to get a SAT1 score of 2200-2400. Plus, I am also doing Further Maths and I think I will get at least a B.

I am also doing the SAT 2 test in Physics, Maths L2 and Literature and most probably will get a combined score in the range of 2100-2300.

Will my A levels and IGCSE grades be considered akin to the US high School GPA or the AP exams that US students take? And what are my chances at HYP, Stanford, Berkley e.t.c.

What if I apply to Oxbridge, will I be able to get in? I think 4 A's and a B ought to be enough.
I have heard that Oxford's admission process is very opaque so I think I am better off applying to Cambridge. What do you guys think?
Reply 1
2 As, 2 Bs at AS will not get you in to HYP or oxbridge...
I think those are the OP's AS grades... They're predicted 4 A's at A2 and a B at AS...
Reply 3
but it doesnt make alot of difference;
2 As and 2 Bs at AS isnt enough, even with 4 As PREDICTED for A2. Trust me, its not enough.
Reply 4
i was under the impression that you didnt have to publish your AS results?
Reply 5
for American unis, the same way American students include their AP results, I think it is highly advised to include your AS level results, seeing as you wont have your definitive A2 results until after admissions are made. This means apart from SATs; GCSEs, ASs, and predicted A2s are the most important thing.
Reply 6
How do you go about submitting your AS results on the Common App? Even on the supplements, there is no form for submitting any grades earned in the British education system, unless your councilor incorporates your AS grades into your school transcript, which I suppose would make AS grades irrelevant considering that they are sort of preliminary when compared to A2. Maybe you can mention them in the Additional Information section, but that suggests that A levels grades aren't given much value.
Reply 7
they are given value, i believe you enter them in the similar areas where USA students enter their AP scores. AS and A2s are weighted very well in USA and are appreciated greatly.
Reply 8
s3admq
How do you go about submitting your AS results on the Common App?
There's an international supplement to the secondary school report, no? Check that out - it has additional testing sections. Furthermore, there is an 'additional info' section on the Common App, so if there's not a place on your application to mention particular achievements or exam results, I think it'd be a good idea to put that there (or ask your counsellor to mention it on his/her section).
Reply 9
harryj0
2 As, 2 Bs at AS will not get you in to HYP or oxbridge...

I wouldn't say that. Maybe not into Oxbridge as Oxbridge as too dependent of A-Level requirements, but if the OP will manage to get an impressive SAT scores, couple that with impressive ECs, his chances at HYPSM + Caltech, Berkeley would increase.
Reply 10
If you can get a 2200-2400 on the SAT then then they will look very highly on that. US universities put a lot of stock on the SAT.
Reply 11
mleoni1
If you can get a 2200-2400 on the SAT then then they will look very highly on that. US universities put a lot of stock on the SAT.

Depends on the university. I got a 2380 on my SAT. That would get me into a good deal of lower ranked schools, but for an Ivy or a top ranked school, there would be more weight on my GPA (3.973 on unweighted 4 scale :frown: ) and on my essay. For international applicants, there's a whole lot of weight on your A level results (predicted for conditional) or your IB results (predicted for conditional).

Latest

Trending

Trending