The Student Room Group

What do you think is the stereotypical Glaswegian?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
pamelaa
I don't know anyone who speaks Gaelic and I've lived here all my life.
You sure they're not having you on?

Some parts of Glasgow had Gaelic populations at one point when all the Highlanders came down to seek employment, and generally lived together. Partick was probably the most famous Gaelic area.

A lot of it has died out now. The only Gaelic I've ever heard actually spoken (ie, not on the television) in Scotland in over two decades here was by a Minister from the Isles at a funeral because the family of the deceased was from that neck of the woods.
Reply 41
FTC199
:eek: why would they ever say shall?

it would be more like "I cannae be ar*ed goin tae work today so i'll nay be goin" :p:

Or, in the words of the venerable Rab C., "I will neither work nor want!"

namedeprived
I find it ironic that they say "mate" when they're clearly not "mates." eg "im gonnae pure stab yae mate."

Glaswegians typically say "pal" instead of "mate".
Reply 42
Aye and the women get called " Doll" or "Hen".
Annie72
Aye and the women get called " Doll" or "Hen".

I hate being called 'hen':mad: :o:
Reply 44
"Can yeh meuther sew? well 'av 'er stech thes" *glasgae kiss*
Reply 45
DrDuck
"Can yeh meuther sew? well 'av 'er stech thes" *glasgae kiss*

:shifty:
This is quite amusing. I'm from Glasgow and I don't know where half of the stereotypes come from. Yes i am often disgusted with some of the sights i see and yes we do speak fast and use a lot of strange words but most Glaswegians are very kind thoughtful people that can speak proper English if they wish. We're not all wee neds that are passionate about football out to hurt anyone that looks at us the wrong way or big tough men with ginger beards and kilts eating haggis but if that's what people link to think then i see no harm done, i actually thinks its really funny haha!
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Haggis-eating, bearded, and metrosexual. Will kill you if you support the wrong team.

That's not true and I somehow find that very offending but you don't believe that do you?
Original post by L i b
Probably some boozed-up ne'erdowell with a heart problem.

Yes, I do quite like Glasgow some times, but that's the way it goes...

Trainspotting was set in Edinburgh. Renton had an Edinburgh accent.

Ok one I am very hurt by that because I come from Glasgow and I do not have a heart problem! That's a horrible thing to say! And second so what if Trainspotting was set in Edinburgh it's funny!
Original post by pamelaa
Just wondering :P

Lived there for four years so I can say they are some of the most fun and friendliest people you'll ever meet in your life.

Quick Reply

Latest