The Student Room Group

Which uni should I drop?

Aaah right. I'm sorry if I'm annoying with all the things related to IR (International Relations) and my application :p: However, I'm in need of serious piece of advice - will you help me, pleeease? :smile:

I'm thinking of dropping one of the unis I've already chosen and probably filling the free space with either Manchester or Queen Mary.
I want to do so because they seem to be good insurance choices and moreover, my friends would have a real chance to get in so we could possibly end up at the same uniiii! They prefer city to countryside...

Which one of these should I swap with Manchester/Queen Mary?

* LSE
* York
* Warwick
* St. Andrews
* Durham

Also, do you know any other good unis which should I consider?

Thanks in advance!
I'd drop York if you like the city - aparantly its got the worst university night life
Reply 2
I suggest you don't allow your friends' choices to affect your own.
Reply 3
robotic_dancer
I'd drop York if you like the city - aparantly its got the worst university night life

I actually thought Warwick campus is in the middle of nowhere... Had no clue York is nowhere near the city.
Reply 4
Please please please please don't drop a uni you like to go somewhere with a friend. You'll be able to keep up the friendship without being in the same city, and it might be easier to get to know poeple if you don't already know someone too. All of the unis you list have high offers (or at least they do for IB). What are you hoping / expecting to get? Have you considered where you'd go if you don't do quite as well as youre expecting?
limonadita
Aaah right. I'm sorry if I'm annoying with all the things related to IR (International Relations) and my application :p: However, I'm in need of serious piece of advice - will you help me, pleeease? :smile:

I'm thinking of dropping one of the unis I've already chosen and probably filling the free space with either Manchester or Queen Mary.
I want to do so because they seem to be good insurance choices and moreover, my friends would have a real chance to get in so we could possibly end up at the same uniiii! They prefer city to countryside...

Which one of these should I swap with Manchester/Queen Mary?

* LSE
* York
* Warwick
* St. Andrews
* Durham

Also, do you know any other good unis which should I consider?

Thanks in advance!

:no:
Kittten
Please please please please don't drop a uni you like to go somewhere with a friend. You'll be able to keep up the friendship without being in the same city, and it might be easier to get to know poeple if you don't already know someone too.

:yes:
Reply 7
saxty
I suggest you don't allow your friends' choices to affect your own.

The thing is I was thinking of the very same thing even before... or to make it easier, I might let my choices unchanged, doing the best to get to LSE and suggest them to apply to Queen Mary. Sounds good?

Does anyone know how far is LSE from Queen Mary? I know I sound silly but both of them are my bestest friends ever and it would be awesome to study in the same city...:yep: :love:
Reply 8
Hopeful_Dreams
:no:

Well, actually I prefer city to countryside too but I wouldn't mind staying in York or Warwick either... The education is priority for me although I like to party from time to time :yep: :yep:
But think if two of you got into the same uni, how crap would it be for the other best friend? She'd be left out... Sucks for her in that situation.

Don't you have a sister called cocacolita as well?:smile: What uni is she going to?
Reply 10
Kittten
Please please please please don't drop a uni you like to go somewhere with a friend. You'll be able to keep up the friendship without being in the same city, and it might be easier to get to know poeple if you don't already know someone too. All of the unis you list have high offers (or at least they do for IB). What are you hoping / expecting to get? Have you considered where you'd go if you don't do quite as well as youre expecting?

I don't like that idea myself... moreover I think I wouldn't be able just to say goodbye to any of my 5 choices because they want to. I lurv them but on the other hand, I know what I want and as I said above, education is prior to me.
I'm working hard to get AAA (History, Geography, Economics) and already got B from English & Lit and A from Slovak & Lit.
Hm, yes I was. I don't think I'll do worse than AAB even though **** happens... that's why I was thinking of Manchester - their entry reqs are only BBB for IR course. :yep:
Reply 11
Hopeful_Dreams
But think if two of you got into the same uni, how crap would it be for the other best friend? She'd be left out... Sucks for her in that situation.

Don't you have a sister called cocacolita as well?:smile: What uni is she going to?

Yeah I know. :frown: I'd feel like I was betraying them :frown:. But I don't think any of them would aim as high as I do - well, maybe my guy friend would but the girl probably wouldn't :frown:.

Yep, Coca-Colita's my sis :smile:. We initially wanted to apply to same unis but since she wants to read Earth Sciences, she will be applying to Liverpool/Manchester, Cardiff, Durham, Glasgow & St. Andrews. Eeek... such a low probability we'll end up together... but will staz sisters forever :love:
limonadita
I actually thought Warwick campus is in the middle of nowhere... Had no clue York is nowhere near the city.

Yeah i suppose it is but Warwick has an amazing campuss and a buzzing atmosphere, but yes, it is in the middle of nowhere!
The area around QMC is not so lovely.
Reply 14
robotic_dancer

Subjective......

limonadita

Both are 1960s campus unis. Warwick is on the edge of coventry, York is close to a village just outside the city.

Neither are in "countryside". Certainly not Warwick. York is semi-rural at best (or, in this context, worse).

limonadita
The thing is I was thinking of the very same thing even before... or to make it easier, I might let my choices unchanged, doing the best to get to LSE and suggest them to apply to Queen Mary. Sounds good?

Erm...call me miserable and I know you must really appreciate and value your friendship. But I do think you should chose according to what are best for you and shouldn't influence others' choices.

limonadita
Does anyone know how far is LSE from Queen Mary?

Google maps but, at a guess, three miles?

robotic_dancer
Yeah i suppose it is but Warwick has an amazing campuss and a buzzing atmosphere, but yes, it is in the middle of nowhere!

It's on the edge of a large city, only 20 minutes from its centre. How is that "middle of nowhere". I really think peopl exaggerate it.

I get tired of saying this :p:
River85
It's on the edge of a large city, only 20 minutes from its centre. How is that "middle of nowhere". I really think peopl exaggerate it.

I dunno, I think 20 minutes from the centre of a city can be "middle of nowhere" for someone who wants to go out on nights out and stuff. Certainly it'd put me off not being right in the thick of things. It is exaggerated in that it isn't actually "countryside" but, well, that's remote if you really want to be near stuff.

I'm 30 minutes drive from Newcastle, for example, but I'd certainly not say I'm near there.
Reply 16
Juustuburger
I dunno, I think 20 minutes from the centre of a city can be "middle of nowhere" for someone who wants to go out on nights out and stuff. Certainly it'd put me off not being right in the thick of things. It is exaggerated in that it isn't actually "countryside" but, well, that's remote if you really want to be near stuff.

I'm 30 minutes drive from Newcastle, for example, but I'd certainly not say I'm near there.

I know, but when I hear "middle of nowhere" I think of somewhere twenty minutes from the nearest small town, let alone large city and somewhere that's part of one of the largest urban areas in the country. But, maybe that's just me.....I live twenty five minutes bus ride from Newcastle (probably about the same distance as Warwick uni to Coventry city centre) and I certainly don't consider myseld in the middle of nowhere.

You're from these parts. I wouldn't say somewhere like Rothbury is in the "middle of nowhere", let alone the very edge of Coventry. Allendale, perhaps.

Plus Warwick's campus does have a vibrant social scene of itself (probably better than Coventry itself which I hear is a bit crap).

Latest

Trending

Trending