The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not brilliant at these myself but I'll see if I can help.
When you say "1/x squared", is it just the x that is squared, or is the whole fraction all squared?

Edit: Taking it to mean just the x was squared, I got 3/xsquared - 26 if that's any help?
I can scan and post my working for that if you want.
C274
When you say "1/x squared", is it just the x that is squared, or is the whole fraction all squared?

Edit: Taking it to mean just the x was squared, I got 3/xsquared - 26 if that's any help?
I can scan and post my working for that if you want.

That would be really helpful.Thnx

Also, could you help with this one.

Sketch the graph of the function f(x)=3 to the power of x. On the same diagram sketch the graphs of b) f(x)=3to the power of x (all) -2
c) f(x)=3 to the power of x+2
Reply 3

If there's anything in there you want me to explain further, let me know.

I'll have a look at the graphs :smile:

Edit: I've done all 3 graphs on the same diagram as the question wanted, then underneath those I've included each graph on separate diagrams to make it a bit clearer for you.

Hope that helps you a bit, but I can't guarantee those are right because we only got taught them a few weeks ago!
Reply 4
C274

Edit: I've done all 3 graphs on the same diagram as the question wanted, then underneath those I've included each graph on separate diagrams to make it a bit clearer for you.

Hope that helps you a bit, but I can't guarantee those are right because we only got taught them a few weeks ago!

just wondering what topic are you on now??
Reply 5
C274

For future reference; to save time scanning your work and uploading it, TSR has LaTeX which will let you type your maths up clearly.

E.g. f(x)=1x29f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2} - 9
C274

Cheers for that. We got taught this before the summer. lol. so I can't remember anything about it.
Reply 7
Calira
For future reference; to save time scanning your work and uploading it, TSR has LaTeX which will let you type your maths up clearly.

E.g. f(x)=1x29f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2} - 9

HelloHello ImI'm Pelican.Pelican. HaveHave aa nicenice day!day!

I shouldn't abuse it like that but damn that's cool.
Reply 8
rosie9391
just wondering what topic are you on now??

I'm doing differentiation and should be finished it by the end of the week. My teacher wants to give us a practice NAB to do over the October break and then we'll get the real NAB when we come back :frown:

Thanks for the LaTeX info by the way :smile:
Reply 9
C274

1/x all squared is the same thing as 1/x squared
Reply 10
C274
I'm doing differentiation and should be finished it by the end of the week. My teacher wants to give us a practice NAB to do over the October break and then we'll get the real NAB when we come back :frown:

Thanks for the LaTeX info by the way :smile:

The NABS for Higher Maths are so easy btw! The general layout and questions are always the same! Just different numbers.

Differentiation was good until I got to Unit 3's 'Further Diff' lol
Reply 11
javjamoll
The NABS for Higher Maths are so easy btw! The general layout and questions are always the same! Just different numbers.

Differentiation was good until I got to Unit 3's 'Further Diff' lol

Thanks! Yeah, I was reading the course summary in the guide to Highers and I was annoyed when I saw that what seems so complex is actually "basic".
javjamoll

This. The questions are so similar it's a joke. Not even just the same layout but the same questions in general too. eg one of the questions asked you to find the gradient of the line when the angle made with the posittive direction of the x - axis was 38 degrees. The one in the real NAB just used a different figuree like 35 degrees. Do a practice NAB and you'll have no trouble with it, though i've been told the pass amrks are fairly high.

Mind you this is only the first unit.. not sure about the other ones yet. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Pass marks for what are really high?

In the NAB aslong as you get half marks in each outcome you pass that section I think. (I'm not entirely sure if its half marks, but its something like that). You must pass all 4 outcomes to pass the Unit1/2/3 NAB. Also for the Wave Funtion there is only one question in the NAB :tongue: You have to pass it, but its easy once you do one.
Totally agree about the same questions in the practice and the really nab, they are really simple as i passed them all first time last year, however still managed to fail the exam so don't think because you sail through all the nabs its going to be an easy pass!

But anyway second time round seems to be going much better and i know what to expect!!
javjamoll
Pass marks for what are really high?

In the NAB aslong as you get half marks in each outcome you pass that section I think. (I'm not entirely sure if its half marks, but its something like that). You must pass all 4 outcomes to pass the Unit1/2/3 NAB. Also for the Wave Funtion there is only one question in the NAB :tongue: You have to pass it, but its easy once you do one.

I heard that to pass each outcome you had to get marks like 3/4 and 6/8. Unreliable source obviously. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Not sure..... I passed all mine first time last year....

and yeah rosie the NABS are so much easier than the final paper, although I passed it.
Reply 17
javjamoll
Not sure..... I passed all mine first time last year....

and yeah rosie the NABS are so much easier than the final paper, although I passed it.

My teacher said they're around C standard.
Reply 18
C274

Yup. The NABs are set at C level to ensure a minimum competence in the final exam.
C274

The NAB questions are also different from the C standard in the exam as it is multiply choice. It makes you believe that they are going to be like the nabs when they are slightly different and well, harder! Well for me it was as I'm no maths genius and did struggle last year.

Latest