The Student Room Group

History AS Help?!?!

Ok so i've just started my A Levels and i know i shouldn't think I'm going to get A's and B's just yet but I'm thinking of dropping History...

I've taken English Lang and Lit, Media and History and Maths GCSE re-sit...

In history I'm getting U's in the three pieces i handed in... In English I'm getting B's atm... I feel like I'm struggling with most of the questions... I really like history, most of the time, but for AS i was kind of pushed into it... my college wasn't able to fit all of my courses in... I just don't want to carry on with history at the risk of my other A Levels.

Should i drop history now or carry on regardless ofthe result?!?!:confused:

Thanks
Reply 1
only drop history if you are going to take up another AS level - you'll be really disadvantaged with only 3 AS when it comes to uni applications
Reply 2
history is a really good AS/A level to have, ask your history teacher for advice. at the start of yr 12 it's common to get low grades because you aren't used to the style of work, you'll get betetr over the year
Reply 3
Honestly it'll get easier. Read around your subject, make sure you know more than you need to, and plug away at the essays. Bear in mind what your teacher says, and why you get bad marks, and you'll improve in no time :biggrin:
History's a good AS Level to have, seriously.
It's not that hard. I don't know a single fact and I still got a high grade.
It's all about how you write your essay, which can be taught within a few minutes.

PM if you want help.
Reply 5
As someone said, History AS level isn't that hard if you can nail the technique. Just work at it. For my first essay I got a U and by the end of the year with a little bit of effort I got an A on that paper, considering I thought I had failed it due to not putting down enough facts. Just make sure your are analysing and evaluating events constantly, while backing it up with facts/dates and you'll be fine. All the best :smile:
Reply 6
SuicideCommando
History's a good AS Level to have, seriously.
It's not that hard. I don't know a single fact and I still got a high grade.
It's all about how you write your essay, which can be taught within a few minutes.

PM if you want help.

I spoke with my history teacher early today, he says that he doesn't think history is the right subject for me. I can't take any other A Levels i would want to take at my college as it is a small college and they won't fit in with my timetable...
I think one of my problems is the structure of my essays so any help there would be great:biggrin:
But I don't think that's my only problem...:frown:

Thanks
Reply 7
VampireKnight
I spoke with my history teacher early today, he says that he doesn't think history is the right subject for me. I can't take any other A Levels i would want to take at my college as it is a small college and they won't fit in with my timetable...
I think one of my problems is the structure of my essays so any help there would be great:biggrin:
But I don't think that's my only problem...:frown:

Thanks

well here is the structure I followed (not sure how clear this will be lol):
Introduction - I introduce a bit of background about the topic around the question and rephrase the questions
Next you talk about the main focus of the question - (I'm assuming all of the question are 'to what extent' 'assess how far' type questions) - this should make up the bulk of your essay
Then you talk about other factors and bring in some judgement
Conclusion - here is normally where I make a judgement and sum up my answer to the question - try to have a sustained argument throughout, there isn't really a 'right' or 'wrong' answer just as long as you back everything you say up. I also try to include a quote from a historian in the conclusion as well lol they love that apparently

I don't know how much help that is - this is how I did it for my topics. What topics/modules are you doing?
Reply 8
Dont drop History. Its just a change in technique. At GCSE you just really have to describe and still get away with an A. iN AS history you just gotta change yout style. And relative importance, analysis and evaluate.

I found History one of the hardest to change to from GCSE. But i got my A =)

Good luck & if you drop, defo take up something else =)
Reply 9
nemnem
well here is the structure I followed (not sure how clear this will be lol):
Introduction - I introduce a bit of background about the topic around the question and rephrase the questions
Next you talk about the main focus of the question - (I'm assuming all of the question are 'to what extent' 'assess how far' type questions) - this should make up the bulk of your essay
Then you talk about other factors and bring in some judgement
Conclusion - here is normally where I make a judgement and sum up my answer to the question - try to have a sustained argument throughout, there isn't really a 'right' or 'wrong' answer just as long as you back everything you say up. I also try to include a quote from a historian in the conclusion as well lol they love that apparently

I don't know how much help that is - this is how I did it for my topics. What topics/modules are you doing?

Thanks for the help :smile: I'm doing Politics in the USA and how the Treaty of Versailles contributed to WW2

Thankies:biggrin:

Latest