The Student Room Group

Is it not early days for predicted grades?

My year has been predicted grades for AS already. We've only had 5 weeks of lessons. Is it normal for alls chools to do this because a few of my friends have been predicted 4 A's. One of them is absoloutely rubbish at French and hasn't done very well in the vocab tests so I dunno what the teachers are reflecting off.:s-smilie: Is it not a bit silly to predict grades at this stage?

I haven't see mine yet, but I've been told I'm predicted "good".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah its pretty stupid
Reply 2
i got a maths predicted grade in like, oct/nov time ish.
the rest of my subjects didn't.
i think that the maths people just did it so they could have fun with some complicated logarithms to predict things.
Yes it sure is.

The career's lady said we're going to start filling in UCAS forms in Feb/March!

ME and University? I don't think so :no:
that happened to us, but they are usually undestimated
Reply 5
It is!
I got predicted two B's so far which is abit odd cuz the subjects they've looked at from GCSE to predict them have been A's :confused:
I hope I can pull them up :frown:
Reply 6
I've only started AS Psychology this year and I've already been predicted an A.
They are utterly pointless, I don't think I can actually remember my AS predicted grades.
Are these the official predicted grades or the stupid 'expected grades' thing the school gave us. They took our gcse's and basically picked a letter out a hat, I was predicted C's in maths, physics and chemistry, despite having A*'s in maths and double science gcse. Worst idea ever. But they did send AAAB as my prediction to uni's, which was reasonably close.
Reply 9
we're getting these soon but they aren't the teachers' predictions, they're statistical target grades based on your gcse grades. we had similar stuff given to us at the beginning of year ten, based on SATs levels. only one of mine was right.
i think they're a bit pointless, tbh.
that said, i think teachers will be able to tell fairly accurately what we'll get now, unless someone drastically changes the amount of work they do/effort they make.
it's easy to see in year 7 where abouts someone will be in the yeargroup ranking for gcse, which is 4 years later, so why not now, for AS levels?
How do the teachers predict grades? Test-wise or...?
The "predicted grades" are predicted from GCSEs.
Yep, they're predicted based on the GCSEs you got, and they're not accurate. Mine came out to predict me 4 D's (if you have a couple of off grades like me, expect these to lower your score dramatically) and I ended up with ABBB at AS (two B grades were 3-4 UMS off an A grade respectively) :p: Complete and utter crap.
Oh don't listen to them.

Because of how I did in my GCSE's i was predicted BCCC for AS, but i ended up with AAAB. So meh...

x
So if I got:
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
German: B (2 mark off an A)
English Language: A

(not taking these but might contribute:smile:
Maths: C
Literature: A
Physics: B

What grades could I be looking at maybes?
Our english teacher came around on our first day giving us predicted grades based on what we got at GCSE

:s:

Pretty stupid really.
We haven't had any from other subjects though, more likely they'll give us those after the October Mocks (:o:)
Reply 16
yeah, they base them on your gcses, though i know at our school they say they're minimum target grades as opposed to predicted grades. so basically what you'd get with a fairly minimal amount of work. if you're predicte a B, no one's saying its impossible to get an A!
Well 5 weeks if one sixth of the way through the AS level course. How long do you want them to wait?
At my school they gave us minimum target grades based on GCSE results and ALPS points scores. Based on my GCSE results I should be achieving bccc at AS.
Reply 19
They gave mine based on my GCSE average score fingy majig. (check sig :mad: :frown: :mad: )

Latest