The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Kenya

Hey all,

I really want to do some volunteering as part of my travels, and although I'm planning on organising pretty much everything when I'm out there I would quite like to book a voluntary project in Kenya for the first month or so.

I have been searching the internet and getting a lot of very similar sounding projects/prices but really was looking for recommendations. I want a project which will actually make a difference, as I've read so many terrible reviews of companies who charge a fortune and make you do pointless things in places you're not really needed. ANYBODY who has volunteered in Kenya or knows anything about projects, perhaps run by less well known organisations, that I could look into, I would be so so grateful!
Reply 1
http://www.wwv.org.uk/

Go to the Rift Valley (farmers)/Nakuru (lake- flamingos, rhinos)/Mombasa (sea- coral) if you can, probably the best parts of Kenya
Reply 2
have a look at www.travellersworldwide.com
they're a founder member of the year out group - www.yearoutgroup.co.uk
check out both websites. year out group is a group of gap year providers who commit to a set of rules to enable students to select good gap years from reliable companies. have a look about the website, i'm sure there will be some other good companies on there that offer volunteer placements in kenya, and i think they offer tips too.

Latest