The Student Room Group
Ask your referee to push one of those grades up. They really should. I got ***** AS levels but my tutor still predicted me high enough grades to get offers from AAB Unis.
Reply 2
Well no, not necessarily. It depends on the university though, some are more stringent that others. It also depends on the competitiveness of the course, so which course have you applied for ? Also, if you have written an excellent Personal Statement and have glowing references they might look at your potential instead. Finally, was there any reason as to why you've got a lower prediction, i.e. lowers AS grades due to special circumstances? Because universities can also take this into consideration.
Some universities seem to suggest that although they state AAB as their offer, they may expect higher and so it depends on the university and course, however try and get a grade bumped up if you can, I'm predicted AAA but just received and offer for ABB so it won't necessarily affect any ABB application
Reply 4
usually schools are reluctant to push grades up because they feel if the student fails to meet the new predicted grades, they'll feel resentful and unhappy that their chances of university have been messed up. the school would rather predict you BBB and you get into a 'mediocre' university as opposed to AAA only for you to get BBC and be left stranded with no chance of higher education.

also, my school said they were reluctant to a) write glowing references for ****** pupils and b) to give amazing predicted grades if the pupils weren't amazing because the school ITSELF will get a 'bad reputation' with universities, which will make the unis prejudice against future students. because of every student from 'england high school' is predicted AAAs and is an amazing student who found the cure for cancer, got full marks in every AS module, whilst doing a long distance degree in medicine as well as sixth form..there's no way of distinguishing the GENUINELY talented/amazing students from the rubbish ones.

oh, and it's unfair on the people who worked hard for their AAA predicted grades if some one who got CCC at as to get them! :x

your grades sound fine, i wouldn't apply to 5 AAB courses with ABB. but might as well set your hopes a bit higher for 1-2 options, work really hard on your personal statement and if you're called to interview do a lot of practice. hopefully these two features, and your reference, will redeem your one 'iffy' grade.
Reply 5
It depends on the uni and course really. If they're very over-subscribed, they have to cut down the numbers somehow, and that's usually the first way they'll do it.
I'd say go for it.

I was predicted ABB and 3 of the 5 universities I applied to set their entry requirements at AAB, and I got offers from all of them. That was for law aswell, and I didn't really have an especially good personal statement or reference.
Reply 7
meercatman
I'd say go for it.

I was predicted ABB and 3 of the 5 universities I applied to set their entry requirements at AAB, and I got offers from all of them. That was for law aswell, and I didn't really have an especially good personal statement or reference.

sorry i'm such a creep, i'm actually becoming a law-ucas-uni obsessed fiend by the way, but which unis were these? i'm predicted AAA and i'm applying to courses that are AAB and i'm STILL petrified i won't get in. your words are so comforting HAHA. oh dear at me. :frown:

and have you got any LNAT advice? :x
ohaidani
sorry i'm such a creep, i'm actually becoming a law-ucas-uni obsessed fiend by the way, but which unis were these? i'm predicted AAA and i'm applying to courses that are AAB and i'm STILL petrified i won't get in. your words are so comforting HAHA. oh dear at me. :frown:

and have you got any LNAT advice? :x

Hi there - I'm a bit of a dodgy person to ask actually :-P

I applied to York, Liverpool, Leicester (which is now AAA), Lancaster and Nottingham Trent. I ended up getting AAA in the end - but went to liverpool which was my firm.

i didn't do the LNAT so can't comment on that I'm afraid.. :-D
maybe if you go to a not-very-good school they'll be more accomodating?
it does really depend on which uni this is... probably they wont automatically reject you just request an interview as usual and judge on that more than the grades... Make sure you work really really hard though to get those grades and good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending