The Student Room Group
best advice is to speak to your history tutor/master and try and see if he can help you out with a few example, but of advice, research your answer instead of just writing it off the cuff, will help you no end

Tony
it'll get easier once you've got a proper grasp of the period you're studying- what you doing at the moment?
off topic sorry, but what does 'imfao' stand for?
Reply 4
lmfao
I didnt take History at GCSE and am doing it (Edexcel). Anyway we did our first practice essay and scored just a level 2. Does anyone know any pointers/guidelines to writing a history essay in the exam? sourcing also.

Also, an example essay would really be benefical, i cant seem to find any.

you're probably being narrative, ie. "this happened, then this happened, then this" etc. try analyse everything; explain its effects, why it is significant, how significant is it in contrast with other events of the time, cross reference everything, say what source is of better worth ie. primary/secondary and also depending on who it has been written by (bias? propaganda? etc). there's loads of things you could write about, just avoid being narrative -- and instead analyse until your fingers are bleeding.
natalie_gs

its laughing my ******* ass off
natalie_gs

:rolleyes:

it's an L :]

Your best bet is to talk to your history teacher, they'll have some stuff for you to look at most likely.
Reply 7
Make sure if it's for sourcing, you group the common views and you compare and contrast them! For other essays I was always told (although I did OCR hist) that you shouldn't write events chronologically because that will make you list things. The main thing is always to have an argument, make sure with each paragraph there is one also prioritising may be required, what modules are you studying? and can you show an example question?

Latest