The Student Room Group
Anyone? :smile:
Practice makes perfect.
Keep writing them out.
Okay, practise is obvious (worked for maths, talking of which I have formulae to learn for that too...fuuun), and writing them out - I use it with my German vocab, but I usually forget it quickly (bad memory lol)...Hmm, what was that chant we were taught for spelling in primary school, that might help lol
Write them out on a big piece of coloured paper and put them on the wall near your bed.
Read them every morning and night when you get ready and stuff :smile:
It really helps it go in.
What are the ones you're trying to remember? For example...
Reply 6
Write them with one letter representing a part of the forumla. I.E. No. Moles could be written as J for example. Therefore, if you can remember J = M/C. Then you can remember the formulea like that.
lucyhol1012
Write them out on a big piece of coloured paper and put them on the wall near your bed.
Read them every morning and night when you get ready and stuff :smile:
It really helps it go in.
What are the ones you're trying to remember? For example...

seconded.

for my one module last year you needed to know 28 different types of reactions. I just wrote them all on a sheet and stuck them on the back of my door - saw them every morning ever night.

i also wrote the reagents, catalyst/conditions, products on like 3 different pieces of paper. (so i ended up with like 81 little sheets if you get me) and i then tried putting them in the right order.
What forumula are you on about? At AS the only thing I recall knowing was the one for moles/mass and similar one for volumes of gases. That's it. :s-smilie:

If you are talking about the actual reagents/conditions, then try to understand what's going on in the reaction and what type of reaction it is. Also try to understand what each reagent/condition does. Then it's much easier to put these together... otherwise you are using brute force to memorise stuff which can get confusing.

You said you were doing AS so you I presume you haven't done organic yet. There aren't that many reactions to remember yet.
Reply 9
silent ninja
What forumula are you on about? At AS the only thing I recall knowing was the one for moles and similar one for volumes of gases. That's it. :s-smilie:

If you are talking about the actual reagents/conditions, then try to understand what's going on in the reaction and what type of reaction it is. Also try to understand what each reagent/condition does. Then it's much easier to put these together... otherwise you are using brute force to memorise stuff which can get confusing.

You said you were doing AS so you I presume you haven't done organic yet. There aren't that many reactions to remember yet.

There is some organic in AS. At least, there is in AQA.
Try Quizlet. It really helps, believe me!
ezia

formulae and equations (& their mechanisms, reagents and conditions) are different
ezia

In the first term? I thought the boards began organic after Unit 1.
150 pages of equations? What?

What are these equations?

Also I found triangles better for learning stuff, but I only remember learning a few for AS chem.
Just write them out a lot and practice using them in questions.
silent ninja
What forumula are you on about? At AS the only thing I recall knowing was the one for moles/mass and similar one for volumes of gases. That's it. :s-smilie:

There are about 7 so far (mainly/possibly all to do with moles) but 1) I have maths ones to learn too and 2) It's a new course.

I already have quizlet and will try that! (stupid for not thinking about it)

150 pages refers to the practice questions...Should've made that clearer.
Reply 16
I love this. Maybe it will help you:

M = Mr*Mol

M = Mister Mole ;p
Reply 17
Alternatively, work the equation out 'on the spot' using the units...

e.g. for Moles = Mass / RFM:

Moles is measured in moles
Mass measured in grams
RFM is measured in grams/mol

So, Grams / (Grams/Mol) = Moles

If that makes sense...!

Latest