The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Or_Kiaz
Just out of interest, if you have an AAA offer but end up getting AAB, what are the chances of still getting in?

I don't think there are statistics but basically it's up to two people - thee admissions tutor for the college and the director of studies. Also, it's no use phoning up and begging on results day because they will have already made their decision - if there is a problem you must tell them before results. All i'm saying is that if possible try not to risk it.

MB
Reply 41
Well I'm the only person I know who didn't get AAA+
Reply 42
blissy
Well I'm the only person I know who didn't get AAA+

lol, actually i'm the only person I know who missed grades too.

MB
Reply 43
I don't know statistics either but similarly I don't know anybody with less than AAA!
Reply 44
fishpaste
I don't know statistics either but similarly I don't know anybody with less than AAA!

presumably there are a few at peterhouse who were too lazy too work all that hard for their AAB offers?
Reply 45
fishpaste

Yeah, when I was doing a seminar last term, the consultant man said (to illustrate a point about how we don't have a balanced view of "intelligence")

"So, put your hands up who didn't get straight As"

No hands.

"OK, put your hand up if you didn't get more than three"

One person had 'only' three As. Of course, we're medics so a little weird because they have quotas for us, but still. Go get those grades!

MB - crazy vimto sounds evil! Port is lovely and Blue WKD is vile, how can you mix the two? Blue WKD is what 14 year olds drink and think they're cool, it's just sugar and food colouring in a bottle.
Reply 46
blue wkd is great with port! it tastes quite rich and fruity, and after a pint everything is so much better! :P
Reply 47
musicboy
Also, it's no use phoning up and begging on results day because they will have already made their decision

I disagree, I don't see anything wrong with phoning up, I did but begging is too far. I phoned and argued with the admissions officer who insisted I'd met my offer and I insisted I hadn't because I had the raw exam lists infront of me. I think three people in my school missed their offers, two phoned up and were taken, the other didn't and got a rejection letter three days later. In the end it's such a small thing to do but it shows a certain degree of interest and changes you from a piece of paper to a person.

fishpaste

In terms of points or actual grades? Because I don't have three As, you know me!

I'm sure I've drunk Old Pec in cam and I don't think it was as a guest, have you tried the Pickerel MB?
There are loads of very fine pubs in cambridge with lots of very fine ales and guest ales, even Wetherspoons has some decent ones.

A.
Reply 48
Alaric
I disagree, I don't see anything wrong with phoning up, I did but begging is too far. I phoned and argued with the admissions officer who insisted I'd met my offer and I insisted I hadn't because I had the raw exam lists infront of me.

A.

hang on, you argued with him that you HADN'T met your offer?!! when s/he was still prepared to take you!?!!
In answer to the guy who asked about getting AAB; it's not necessarily entirely up to the college. There is also a summer pool, in case the college doesn't have room but another college's applicants missed their offers by more. A friend of mine missed her grades for Sidney but Jesus took her in.

DO NOT RELY ON THE SUMMER POOL though. The chances of you being one of the lucky ones here are very slim. But just so you know, it does exist.
Reply 50
MadNatSci
In answer to the guy who asked about getting AAB; it's not necessarily entirely up to the college. There is also a summer pool, in case the college doesn't have room but another college's applicants missed their offers by more. A friend of mine missed her grades for Sidney but Jesus took her in.

DO NOT RELY ON THE SUMMER POOL though. The chances of you being one of the lucky ones here are very slim. But just so you know, it does exist.

yes, I think the summer pool is more for majority subjects like maths and natsci.

MB
musicboy
yes, I think the summer pool is more for majority subjects like maths and natsci.

MB

My friend is a geographer. It just depends on what spaces there are in the colleges; it's not limited to any specific subjects in theory.
Reply 52
MadNatSci
My friend is a geographer. It just depends on what spaces there are in the colleges; it's not limited to any specific subjects in theory.

Although much less likely to be an option for quotad subjects like Medicine and Vet Science.
Helenia
Although much less likely to be an option for quotad subjects like Medicine and Vet Science.

Yet, if you just miss your grades, you are more likely to be taken.

No, wrong attitude! :redface:

*beats self with chemistry textbook*
Reply 54
priya
hang on, you argued with him that you HADN'T met your offer?!! when s/he was still prepared to take you!?!!

Well he thought I'd made the offer, so I didn't want to get into any problems later on, so I argued. In the end at about 5 in the evening he rang me up and told me that UCAS still thought I had, and he still thought I had, but he didn't care any more.

So I went to the pub happy :smile:

A.
Reply 55
notyourpunk
presumably there are a few at peterhouse who were too lazy too work all that hard for their AAB offers?

ahem!!! not all offers from Peterhouse are that nice - some of us have AAA offers :y:
platinumki
Yet, if you just miss your grades, you are more likely to be taken.

No, wrong attitude! :redface:

*beats self with chemistry textbook*

Not necessarily!! It all depends on numbers at the time!

*wondering whether I should have mentioned the summer pool at all... but you ought to be aware of it*
Reply 57
MadNatSci
Not necessarily!! It all depends on numbers at the time!

*wondering whether I should have mentioned the summer pool at all... but you ought to be aware of it*

Is the summer pool you get AAB and so they say no thanks but another college might want you?
Its always confused me alitle
notyourpunk
Is the summer pool you get AAB and so they say no thanks but another college might want you?
Its always confused me alitle

Pretty much, yeah.
Reply 59
My offer letter said

'it may prove possible for the college to relax these requirements slightly when the examination results of all who have received conditional offers are to hand in August 2005'

For a subject like mine, there's only two at the most accepted to the college per year. How likely is it that this would be the case? Would it depend how many other has missed their offers as well?

Latest

Trending

Trending