The Student Room Group

Anyone Studying Pharmacy... Help with choices please

Hey, im applying to pharmacy and would like some help with picking my 5 choices. My GCSEs were very bad i got 3As 4Bs 3Cs. My AS were a slight improvement but were still a shocker: BBCD in English, Sociology(dropped), Chemistry and Biology. I am predicted ABB in English, Biology and Chemistry. So far my choices are:

Nottingham (AAB-ABB)
Manchester (AAB-ABB)
Cardiff (ABB-BBB)
Kingston/Keele (BBB)
Bradford Clinical Science (200points)

can anyone please advise me if i am doing the right choices or should i look to apply elsewhere with my mediocre grades?

urgent help please
Reply 1
Manchester and Nottingham will be very competitive. They will get a lot of ABB-AAA applicants. Cardiff/Keele look like decent choices though.
Reply 2
yeh i know that nottingham and manchester will be really competitive but i like to think of it like: if i aim high, if i miss the high target ive set il still get a good target, wheras if i aim for a BBB pharmacy school, if i miss that il be screwed.

I really like nottingham so i want to go there, but i understand my chances are very very slim
Reply 3
I think your choices are fine as long as you know manchester and nottingham are hard to get into
You should get some offers, I even think u could get an offer from Manchester and Notts. The fact you dropped your doss subject and your predicted ABB i think you should be fine. However if you don't feel confident why not try Reading? Great uni!hmmm or am i being bias...
Reply 5
i never thought of reading actually. I might apply there instead of keele, keele is my local uni you see so i was going to apply there even though i would have no intention of going anyway lol.

is reading uni in the city or the countryside?
reading is new, not sure if it's accredited.
it is not accredited yet, but will be by the the time OP will have joined
Reply 8
UHHH I HATE MY SCHOOL!!! They predict everyone lower than what they can actually get, I got BBCD too but i'm predicted BBC and the teachers won't change anything and even though i was a mark off in english they not to change the predicted grades from before AS' levels unless you got better :angry:
Reply 9
what does acredited mean?

and yeh i suppose my school are fairly generous, we had a lot of people who got CCCC at AS and predicted AAA because they had good GCSEs.

my head of year told me its because most people in our school improve by at least a grade at A2 cus of resits and that, and they take into account people might not have put enough work in at AS or dossed at AS level
Reply 10
oh wow, your well lucky, accredited means the university doing the pharmacy course needs to be acknowledged by the RPSGB. A Uni needs to wait for their 4th yr students to graduate. Keele has to wait a few more yrs and if they don't actually get accredited and you study there you'll have wasted your time because you won't get the degree in the end they'll just stop the course and u'll have to go somewhere else lol.
Reply 11
Muzzi2006
Hey, im applying to pharmacy and would like some help with picking my 5 choices. My GCSEs were very bad i got 3As 4Bs 3Cs. My AS were a slight improvement but were still a shocker: BBCD in English, Sociology(dropped), Chemistry and Biology. I am predicted ABB in English, Biology and Chemistry. So far my choices are:

Nottingham (AAB-ABB)
Manchester (AAB-ABB)
Cardiff (ABB-BBB)
Kingston/Keele (BBB)

can anyone please advise me if i am doing the right choices or should i look to apply elsewhere with my mediocre grades?

urgent help please

Brighton also very good, you would only need BBB, to get in because of your AS. Though if keele is near you I mgiht have gone for that, except don't forget that they are not accredited yet. Why did you choose Bradford, isn't that course the one used for getting into medicine? Becasue if it is that one that to be honest you have a very slim chance of getting in, as that course is highly competitive due to the fact that they work along side with leeds university medical school and quite a small number of students studying the course get transfered to medicine there.
Reply 12
possibly keele might not a very good choice then i suppose.

can anyone give me a list of the accredited ones?
Muzzi2006
possibly keele might not a very good choice then i suppose.

can anyone give me a list of the accredited ones?

so what? loads of unis r not yet accredited. There was a point when Kings wasnt accredited. Most Unis get accreditation, and i am sure Keele will get it. As they already have an accredited medicine school
Reply 14
Muzzi2006

Nottingham (AAB-ABB)
Manchester (AAB-ABB)
Cardiff (ABB-BBB)
Kingston/Keele (BBB)

urgent help please

I got BBC in my AS' and am predicted AAB :smile:
Cardiff is my 1st choice, Its my dream *Pharmacy @ Cardiff* hehe!

I just think we should work really really hard this year!

I'm retaking some modules to boost my AS... are you?

xoxo:biggrin:
Reply 15
rushhour72
so what? loads of unis r not yet accredited. There was a point when Kings wasnt accredited. Most Unis get accreditation, and i am sure Keele will get it. As they already have an accredited medicine school

I never said that not being accredited is bad, I just mean to warn you that basically the course is new.

Latest

Trending

Trending