The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm doing a ten-week internship in malta with the leonardo scheme, anyone else doing that scheme this year?:smile:, and two months in hong kong
franpgb
Makes sense. Do you know where you're based at all or anything? When you off?

Ha, so do you get paid for what you do or is it voluntary? How much do you want to take? Question time :biggrin: Don't know much about it I'm afraid. Thailand is cheap compared to the UK, but not compared to other nearby countries in Asia, so I think finances there won't be too tight.

Lol. 20 questions!

Nah, won't know where I'm actually based until the training session in Scotland in July '09. And I don't get paid for it, but I do get a 'daily allowance' whilst I'm out there for food and stuff. In terms of money, I've been told about £1000 is more than enough for most places, but in terms of stuff I'll probably take everything and the kitchen sink!
1) July '09 - September '09
Trudge and sweat in the forest wearing army combat gear.

2) October '09 - February '10
Trudge and freeze in the forest wearing army combat gear.

3) March '10 - July '10
Repeat part 1).
Copyrighteous
Lol. 20 questions!

Nah, won't know where I'm actually based until the training session in Scotland in July '09. And I don't get paid for it, but I do get a 'daily allowance' whilst I'm out there for food and stuff. In terms of money, I've been told about £1000 is more than enough for most places, but in terms of stuff I'll probably take everything and the kitchen sink!

Oh that's it, you get training. I was looking this up on their site. Ha that's ok then. £1000 for a year though seems tight, but you do get an allowance so that should be alright. Have fun there!
franpgb
Oh that's it, you get training. I was looking this up on their site. Ha that's ok then. £1000 for a year though seems tight, but you do get an allowance so that should be alright. Have fun there!

Yeah, but that £1,000 is for the holiday period (working in a school, so I won't be working all the time). I hope £1,000 is enough anyway!

And thanks. Check out my blog on my profile next year! Lol.
Copyrighteous
Yeah, but that £1,000 is for the holiday period (working in a school, so I won't be working all the time). I hope £1,000 is enough anyway!

And thanks. Check out my blog on my profile next year! Lol.

Oh that's alright then. Should be.

Will do - got one too in my signature, which I'll be doing when travelling. I'm in Thailand for 3 weeks or so, so I can see where's good in Thailand from yer blog. I do love blogs :biggrin:
Reply 26
mintyoreo
I'm doing a ten-week internship in malta with the leonardo scheme, anyone else doing that scheme this year?:smile:

When are you doing this?

I was interested in applying for 09, but it appears they won't be running the scheme again next year. Well, there's no information about it anyway...
Reply 27
during the summer i worked in luxembourg with eurocamp, was amazing!
oct-early jan working in tesco?! to earn some money.
jan-feb thailand for 6 weeks
march: working :frown:
apr: central america for 10 weeks
summer: Unplanned :frown:
then uni :smile:
Reply 28
Can I ask what you guys are doing when you actually get to these foreign countries?
Me? I'm teaching English to kids in secondary schools.
mintyoreo
I'm doing a ten-week internship in malta with the leonardo scheme, anyone else doing that scheme this year?:smile:, and two months in hong kong

On it at the moment in Bordeaux. It's great fun, if the people you go with are good.

Wow, I'm amazed that so many people are planning their gap years this far in advance. Everyone I know is more of a "see where it takes you" kinda person.

Don't be afraid to break your plans though, please. Take it one step at a time. I only planned this first three months of my gap year and from the people I've met on that bit, the plans for the rest of the year are following. Thing's I would never have planned originally! :biggrin:
OnlyMe!
When are you doing this?

I was interested in applying for 09, but it appears they won't be running the scheme again next year. Well, there's no information about it anyway...

They will be. Just be patient, they just haven't updated the website yet. I got an email asking me if I fancied going on another one next summer.
Reply 32
If all my five choices reject me (and there is that possibility) I have given myself 3 options:

1. Go to Jordan and teach English while learning Arab
2. Study Languages and Culture of Mesopotamia and Anatolia for 1 year in the Netherlands OR study Game Design and Development for 1 year in the Netherlands
3. Improve my French, learn Italian and 1 or 2 more languages by spending time in those countries.
Swayum
Can I ask what you guys are doing when you actually get to these foreign countries?

Enjoying myself. Soaking up the sun, exploring different cultures, seeing how big the world is and how different some places are. Site seeing too of course.
Reply 34
Joanna May
They will be. Just be patient, they just haven't updated the website yet. I got an email asking me if I fancied going on another one next summer.

Oooh right, I see...thanks! :smile:

Has your internship finished now?
Reply 35
OnlyMe!
When are you doing this?

Hey, trips for 2009 ARE up! It's only the website which hasn't been up dated yet. Call the number at the bottom when you're on the page you want. And cool, Bordeaux, what are you doing there?
Reply 36
mintyoreo
Hey, trips for 2009 ARE up! It's only the website which hasn't been up dated yet. Call the number at the bottom when you're on the page you want.

Ah, so I just ring up for an application form?

The "normal" website is down...
Reply 37
franpgb
Ha classic, though slightly unoriginal :biggrin:

Nah - just doing it all ourselves. Get a RTW Ticket (not through STA though as they ain't good for it apparently) and go. When we get to Thailand, we'll travel on foot through Asia and just get a flight from China to New York.

Sorry to jump randomly into this thread, but which company did you get your RTW ticket from if not STA?
Haven't go it just yet but we will try random airlines.

STA are a good company generally, but say you want to change your stay in one country (like extend it by a week) they're really hard to deal with and it's tricky - so I've heard from several people who've gone with STA. I'll probably post on here/my blog with what exactly we'll get.
Reply 39
Swayum

thailand, travelling, 4 day trek through the jungle and 2 weeks working with the hill tribe people

central america: 4 weeks working with animals (i think) and the rest of the time travelling around.

Latest