The Student Room Group

What Are You Doing In Your Gap Year (2009-2010)?

I am hoping to do the following:

July - December
Work and earn as much money as possible, with a summer holiday with friends somwhere in between, along with other little trips to festivals, sports events, and so on.

January - March
Teach English and Science in Bangalore, India. Travel extensively through south India (Kerala, Goa, etc.)

April
Travel New Zealand, with a bit of Thailand!

May - University
Flying lessons (work towards a PPL), work extensively to earn as much money as possible, summer holiday with friends... have a generally good time!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Going to University.
Try and get a job :shifty:
Oo that's really interesting. I'd love to do more than I'm doing (which isn't much really) but I don't have the time, and had to compromise what to do/where to go with a friend.

Really want to do overlanding and voluntary work but I'll just do those in my Uni holidays. I'd love to go to India - jealous!

Now - February or so
Work work work. Eurgh.

Early March then..
Off with my friend to: Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, China, Vietnam and New York.

Early September
Back in UK. Will no doubt be depressed after travelling for 6 months in amazing countries. But as I'm doing a language at Uni, when I get back (apart from getting ready for Uni) I'll learn some Japanese.

This is hard though now. I mean it's hard to see everyone going off starting their new lives etc - I know it'll be worth it for sure and I'm glad I'm travelling, but it's not so good right now.
september - december, working as a health care assistant

december-march- university interviews, may still be doing full time work but bank work

march - september- TRAVEL!!
Going to do europe via backpack and the train by myself..started saving alredy!

september-forever - hopefully nursing at nottingham!
Reply 5
anna_spanner89

december-march- university interviews, may still be doing full time work but bank work

Im thinking about that backpacking with the interrail pass :biggrin:
but im still unsure :P seems a bit scary =]
jack252
Im thinking about that backpacking with the interrail pass :biggrin:
but im still unsure :P seems a bit scary =]

Its the fear that makes it so much more exciting :smile:
Going to Thailand (maybe even Japan if I'm lucky!) for a whole year, thanks to Project Trust. :smile:
Reply 8
anna_spanner89

By yourself?

I was thinking of doing so. But i might get bored of my own company lol
Reply 9
Well my main priority is to find out what I would like to do at uni!

I'll be getting a job aswel and maybe towards the end of the year do a bit of travelling.
Reply 10
franpgb
Oo that's really interesting. I'd love to do more than I'm doing (which isn't much really) but I don't have the time, and had to compromise what to do/where to go with a friend.

Really want to do overlanding and voluntary work but I'll just do those in my Uni holidays. I'd love to go to India - jealous!

Now - February or so
Work work work. Eurgh.

Early March then..
Off with my friend to: Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, China, Vietnam and New York.

Early September
Back in UK. Will no doubt be depressed after travelling for 6 months in amazing countries. But as I'm doing a language at Uni, when I get back (apart from getting ready for Uni) I'll learn some Japanese.

This is hard though now. I mean it's hard to see everyone going off starting their new lives etc - I know it'll be worth it for sure and I'm glad I'm travelling, but it's not so good right now.

Now that's what you call a gap year!! I'm hoping to do some travelling towards the end of my gap yea, if I have enough money left over that is! Are you going with a voluntary organisation?
Copyrighteous
Going to Thailand (maybe even Japan if I'm lucky!) for a whole year, thanks to Project Trust. :smile:

Wow. Project Trust are really great too I've heard - lucky. What are you doing?
T kay
Now that's what you call a gap year!! I'm hoping to do some travelling towards the end of my gap yea, if I have enough money left over that is! Are you going with a voluntary organisation?

Ha classic, though slightly unoriginal :biggrin:

Nah - just doing it all ourselves. Get a RTW Ticket (not through STA though as they ain't good for it apparently) and go. When we get to Thailand, we'll travel on foot through Asia and just get a flight from China to New York.
MKJL450
By yourself?

I was thinking of doing so. But i might get bored of my own company lol

well if anyone fancies coming..lol

no i want to do it alone i get more freedom..plus i want time to really find who i am and what i can achieve alone!!
I really don't see an issue...
Reply 15
May to September= Work experience in Hospital in England, Work to save money the rest of the time, maybe volunteer work etc.

September to January= Travelling to New zealand and Germany, maybe a stay in Australia. Try and further language skills but also have a good time.

Febuary to whenever= Off to Camp America. Maybe some travelling, working around America around that time.
^ Go to Hawaii - my friend went and the sun shone out its arse basically. Everyone raves about it.
franpgb
Wow. Project Trust are really great too I've heard - lucky. What are you doing?

Teaching English as a foreign language. At the minute though, I'm figuring out just how to raise the rest of the money!
Reply 18
anna_spanner89
well if anyone fancies coming..lol

no i want to do it alone i get more freedom..plus i want time to really find who i am and what i can achieve alone!!

Yeh thats good.

I think its cause i was planning on a year in Thailand. And id be alone - i think its just a daunting prospect and so far away. But i dont know. I might even go for it yet :smile:
Copyrighteous
Teaching English as a foreign language. At the minute though, I'm figuring out just how to raise the rest of the money!

Makes sense. Do you know where you're based at all or anything? When you off?

Ha, so do you get paid for what you do or is it voluntary? How much do you want to take? Question time :biggrin: Don't know much about it I'm afraid. Thailand is cheap compared to the UK, but not compared to other nearby countries in Asia, so I think finances there won't be too tight.

Latest