The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

musicalimogen
i got a b for january, low a for coursework and full marks in my last module - and yeh i didn't do an awful lot last year

Well the full marks should help you. Just tell your teacher that you will resit the other two modules, which will boost your UMS and give you a good chance of an A.
squeak
but you want your teacher to do that :confused:

she doesn't, she wants her prediction to be an A and she got an A at AS.

i'd take this further OP, go to the head of your school.
Reply 22
squeak
but you want your teacher to do that :confused:

no, I got an A and he's predicting me a B :s-smilie:
Yeah, because AS ----> A2 is a harder leap than GCSE ----> AS many predict lower for A2.

However I see your problem as being you intend to pick degrees which require A in english. Firstly illustrate your module marks and show a fervent desire to do english. If all else fails get parents to intervene. :yep:
Reply 24
musicalimogen
no, I got an A and he's predicting me a B :s-smilie:

the way you phrased it made out like they were being predicted higher when they're in the same situation as you. nevermind.
Reply 25
numb3rb0y
Even if you're borderline you really ought to at least be predicted A/B. I know teachers are discouraged from giving two predictions but the system allows it for exactly that kind of reason.

I'd talk to your parents and have them contact your school.

The system doesn't let them put in 2 grades as of this year, so you couldn't have A/B. Apparently it's now a drop down menu or something
Reply 26
These teachers are idiots and don't realize that being harsh on predicted grades only affect their students because in other schools the equivalent teachers aren't as harsh so they will predict higher grades for their students even if they don't deserve them.

Having said that, I got ABC at AS and got predicted AAA at A-Level which is actually what I got :!
Reply 27
JayneDoe
I thought it was common-place to predict a lower grade at A2? - Well it certainly was at my school..A2 is harder than AS afterall - I found that especially with English. But you should be able to talk to someone else - the head of English? Surely your teacher can't have the only. final say.

really? I have many many friends who are predicted a lot higher than they got, but if another school predicts people lower surely this makes for an unfair system...mmm it all seemed so simple in my parent's day
bex2306
The system doesn't let them put in 2 grades as of this year, so you couldn't have A/B. Apparently it's now a drop down menu or something

Really? I wasn't aware of that, all I know was last year when I first applied I got two A/Bs after some negotiation. Sorry.

A B prediction makes more sense with that in mind. Still worth arguing your case, though, it can't hurt as it's not as if you're going to be predicted a C for annoying the guy.
ugh! my german is the same. i got a D in my AS despite the fact that in my module mock exams i was getting A, B, C. in the real thing i messed up and came out with a U, B, E - so instead of predicting me the B that he even admitted he reackons i'll get...he says he wants to be on the safe side!
Reply 30
numb3rb0y
Really? I wasn't aware of that, all I know was last year when I first applied I got two A/Bs after some negotiation. Sorry.

A B prediction makes more sense with that in mind. Still worth arguing your case, though, it can't hurt as it's not as if you're going to be predicted a C for annoying the guy.

lol I wouldn't be suprised...he's predicting many other people in my class a grade higher :frown: he says it's because I have a bad attitude which honestly I can't understand since I'm a lit obsessive and the average class mark was a C hence I got a really high grade for my school :frown: i don't understand
predicted grades can be a bitch.
my friend got a C in eng, predicted an A even though her+her teacheer know she prolly won't get an A. got a D in psychology butbeing predicted a B, even though she's doing so bad she's been put in for extra classes!
and meee? ee, i missed the A in physics by a few UMS screwing up the easy paper reeeeally bad. i'm resitting the paper, prediced an A for the resit which would give me a good A at AS. but i'm only predicted an A/B :frown: my old teacher+me+everyone knows i will do the work for an A and get an A, but blahhh!

talk to the teacher, if nothing happens, talk to the head of english/your form tutor?
musicalimogen

lol I wouldn't be suprised...he's predicting many other people in my class a grade higher :frown: he says it's because I have a bad attitude which honestly I can't understand since I'm a lit obsessive and the average class mark was a C hence I got a really high grade for my school :frown: i don't understand
It sounds like the teacher doesn't like you and is being very unprofessional about it. Get your parents involved; they'll sound a lot more credible as far as the school is concerned. If complaining does get good results, the teacher isn't going to be happy but from the sounds if it you won't see much of a change.
Reply 33
THIS IS TOTALLY UNFAIR!

I GOT AN A IN SOCIOLOGY AT AS LEVEL HOWEVER, MY HEAD OF SOCIOLOGY DECIDED TO GIVE ME B FOR UCAS PREDICTION. I TRIED EVERYTHING, INCLUDING ASKING FOR 2 EXTRA UNIT TESTS, AS A FURTHER ASSESSMENT TO PROVE THE TEACHER WRONG. ALTHOUGH I GOT 80% IN BOTH THESE UNITS, I STILL GOT A PREDICTION OF B. THE TEACHER DID NOT WANT TO DISCUSS THIS FURTHER.

MY PARENTS INSISTED THAT THEY TALK TO THE HEADTEACHER BUT I STOPPED THEM - I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT MY REFERENCE!

ANYWAY, THE BIG DAY CAME - I ACED ALL 3 SUBJECTS, ALTHOUGH THE TOP UNIS THAT I APPLIED TO REJECTED ME - PURELY DUE TO MY AAB PREDICTION (MY PS WAS STRONG). I DID TALK TO THE HEAD REGARDING THE 8 MONTHS OF HELL. WHEN I SAW HIM, AFTER MY RESULTS - HE COULD NOT LOOK ME IN THE EYE - JUST SMILED AND SWIFTLY WALKED AWAY. THE WORST THING IS RE-APPLYING AND GOING THROUGH THE WHOLE PROESS AGAIN.

POSITIVE OUTCOME - I AM NOW ON A GAP YEAR, HAVE RE-APPLIED TO THE ELITE LONDON UNIS, WORKING AND TRAVELLING - MEETING PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE.
Reply 34
In AS I was predicted BDDE but I got AABC (my E went to a high A).

Predicted grades are unreliable, but universities see them as extremely important. Talk to your teacher, make a fuss.
Reply 35
samanthaelizabeth
in my college some ALIS predictors go up a grade for A2...no one has ever gone down :s-smilie:

Eugh, the ALIS predictor was a waste of time.
Thought I was gonna get an A in Biology, D in pyschology and E's in English.
Turned out I got D in Biology, A in Psychology and B's In English.

Stupid thing. Thankfully, our school was using us as a 'test into its reliability' and because of this the teachers did not use this for our predicted grades, only to see whether it was a good estimate of predicted grades!
Tbh, I got an A in one of my AS subjects, was predicted a B and got a B... Maybe I'm just an idiot lol
I'm slightly mythed at why people who get A's in AS level automatically assume they must be garunteed an A at A-level.

The teacher was probably being conservative - if u applied to uni's with A's predicted and failed to reach them and got B's you'd look like a right plonker wouldn't u - however if u applied with B's predicted yet got A's you'll look like a shining star.
Reply 38
somemightsay
That's a fair point, but there's also a lot of people that get a C at AS but are predicted A at A2.

Have you got another English Lit teacher? If so have a word with them and see whether they think the prediction is what you deserve.

Most people actually go up a grade from AS to A2.
MKJL450
Most people actually go up a grade from AS to A2.

More people drop a grade...

Latest