The Student Room Group

The world's Wife-By Carol Ann Duffy

I'm currently doing AS english literature and i'm stuck on an essay question. I don't really know what to write ::confused:
" 'The World's Wife' is all about relationships and nothing more". Explore this statement using either two or three poems from the collection.

We're looking at the poems in depth(well most of them anyways) so i only know about these: (for now)
mrs midas
from mrs tiresias
mrs sisyphus
Circe
Eurydice
( i also know a little of Anne hathaway, and Salome)

I'm just wondering what poems should i choose to explore the statement and any basic tips/advice on how to write the essay would be very very helpful.

I'm thankful for anyone who tries to help.
Reply 1
hi improved,
i did the world wife last year and i'm trying to look for my notes but cant really find any. the thing is, we did the annotations and notes in the anthology booklet thingy as we were allowed to take it into our exam so i dont have much on paper as they took it at the end of the year (+ i've got a bad memory and cant remember things :s-smilie:)
so im not sure i would be of great help to you but i'll still try:
you can argue that the statement is not entirely true as duffy is "ultimately sabotaging the stereotypical roles of sexes in order to expose male dominancy and suffering of women" in her collection. also, the world's wife is also about revenge (lil red cap- which you havent done yet), power(Mr Beast- how she;s dominant over mr beast).
thats actually all i can remember for now :frown: ill post again if i find something more accurate to your question. good luck!

edit- i just read my post and it actually doesnt make sense :s-smilie: o_O
*Improved*
I'm currently doing AS english literature and i'm stuck on an essay question. I don't really know what to write ::confused:
" 'The World's Wife' is all about relationships and nothing more". Explore this statement using either two or three poems from the collection.

We're looking at the poems in depth(well most of them anyways) so i only know about these: (for now)
mrs midas
from mrs tiresias
mrs sisyphus
Circe
Eurydice
( i also know a little of Anne hathaway, and Salome)

I'm just wondering what poems should i choose to explore the statement and any basic tips/advice on how to write the essay would be very very helpful.

I'm thankful for anyone who tries to help.

Salome would be a good one to use in order to counter-act the statement, if that's what you so wish to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending