The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dunno why everyone says London - wouldn't the higher prices mean that you can't go out as much? :/
Reply 2
is there a website that tells u stuff like this?
Reply 3
i'm guessing the worst is at oxbridge...? or not?
isnt Oxbridge just Oxford? what's all this Oxbridge talk about?
Reply 5
I've heard that if you want a party Uni then you can't beat Leeds or Newcastle. We called Leeds Uni 'Party central' at my old sixth form....
They have loads of student deals and nights, as many as London, but not at London prices.
bluelou

i heard the worst was chester.
Reply 7
Oxbridge is 'Ox'ford and Cam'bridge', Ox-bridge.
Reply 8
Leeds.
JohnnyHouse
isnt Oxbridge just Oxford? what's all this Oxbridge talk about?

Oxbridge = Oxford and Cambridge

And there's no reason why the social life would be any worse there; perhaps not as much in Cambridge as it's smaller but the collegial system sort of makes up for it in that respect.
Reply 10
And the 'Push' guide to Uni tells you stuff like this, and includes stuff like how much a pint is in the city and at the union, and what the general atmosphere is like etc. Its really quite a good book, I think it has a website too.

Basically any city Uni will have a good social scene, but as I said Leeds and Newcastle seem to have got the thumbs up from my friends who go there, but then I've also got friends at Manchester and Liverpool who say thats there's great nights there too....
Reply 11
there's actually a book you can buy with student reviews of every uni in it. i can't remember what it's called, i think it might be virgin's (as in the richard branson company..haha) guide to uni or something. if you ask about a student guide to university at the front desk of waterstones, they SHOULD know what you're talking about.

i've read it and it gives you info like crime rates, average rent per week for a flat (for second year+), party life, etc. and reviews of little bits by student. AND a male:female ratio too..it's quite useful. i didn't use it to influence my choices, but it's nice to know these things about places you ARE applying to.
Newcastle = best student city in the UK (Times)
Reply 13
bluelou

No - I know it's nice to assume that being quite smart is offset by being boring and having a crap time, but it's just not true. I have had a far better time at Oxford than many of my friends in universities up North.
Going uni is gonna suck for going out, i'm used to spending about £100 every time I go out, what are u surposed to do?
SpiritedAway
i heard the worst was chester.

until recently it only had one club and the city is quite small plus everyone I know at chester commutes from home so thats probably a very true reputation...
I'd assume any big provincial city would be good for social life, particularly in the Midlands/North/rest of UK because it's cheaper to go out and stuff. London is very expensive. You could have loads of fun in Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool...
Reply 17
not necessarily. ucl is good from what ive seen
Reply 18
any city will be good. even st andrews in the middle of no where is what you make of it, and someone i know who went there said that there's a lot of social stuff but not necessary going out *shrugs*

i'm in manchester but not as a student, and there are so many offers and cheap drinks for students it's cool :smile: i would imagine it's really good, there's so many different events and types of music etc etc...

bristol, my home town, is ok, i like that everything just leads on from each other because you start at the top of a hill effectively lol, and work your way down. i find there's actually more variety in restaurants there (weirdly), but there's only 2 kinda superclubs, and neither are that amazing (syndicate/oceana). oceana's better i guessssss, depends which night you go. can't speak for students at uni as i wasn't there.

it really is what you make of it though..
Reply 19
Cardiff! Very friendly. Good atmosphere.

Latest