The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economcs: Need advice from past students

We've been told by our teacher, that we should define the key term in the question in any question before starting to answer the question. This seems like a ridiculous way of approaching a question :s-smilie: I've looked past papers and in the mark scheme, it doesn't say anything about that.

Any advice from past students? (Or present ones that know)
Reply 1
v1oXx-
We've been told by our teacher, that we should define the key term in the question in any question before starting to answer the question. This seems like a ridiculous way of approaching a question :s-smilie: I've looked past papers and in the mark scheme, it doesn't say anything about that.

Any advice from past students? (Or present ones that know)

Yes theres always at least 1 or 2 marks to be gained in every question just from definitions, especially in the AS units.
Reply 2
Definitely do it. Yes it's ridiculous but this is A-levels - it's all about jumping through hoops, and this is one of them
Reply 3
suneilr
Yes theres always at least 1 or 2 marks to be gained in every question just from definitions, especially in the AS units.

So is it best just to define the key terms at the start of a question?
Your teacher knows more than you, trust them
Reply 5
v1oXx-
So is it best just to define the key terms at the start of a question?

Yeah definitely. Its the easiest way of picking up marks...
Reply 6
suneilr
Yeah definitely. Its the easiest way of picking up marks...

Are you all sure about this? I got an A* in IGCSE economics without following this definition method. It seems to repetitive and most questions dont ask for the a defenition and focus on someother variable, perhaps an analysis of an outcome of a decision. In those cases, i think providing a definition wasn't called for, so youre just wasting your time. But then again, I just started my AS level, so i may be wrong.
Reply 7
jammer
Are you all sure about this? I got an A* in IGCSE economics without following this definition method. It seems to repetitive and most questions dont ask for the a defenition and focus on someother variable, perhaps an analysis of an outcome of a decision. In those cases, i think providing a definition wasn't called for, so youre just wasting your time. But then again, I just started my AS level, so i may be wrong.

Well the first time I took the exams I didn't bother giving definitions and ended up with a C but when I retook them and included definitions I managed to get an A. Thats for edexcel, I'm not sure about any other exam boards.
Reply 8
You can get all the marks without defining but, as previously stated, defining terms is the easiest way to pick up marks really
i am doing sameboard as you and our teacher said the same thing.... this is especially so with the "supported-choice" (i.e. multiple choice) micro ones i think...
Reply 10
Teacher said the same thing too. Also said writing out the formula needed for that question gets you a mark, like PES.
Reply 11
Definitely define all the key terms in the question in the beginning.. you score atleast 2 or more marks for that! I've already appeared for 3 units and scored very high A's in all. Also include formulae wherever possible, as suggested by the last post.
Reply 12
Mr Nonsense
i am doing sameboard as you and our teacher said the same thing.... this is especially so with the "supported-choice" (i.e. multiple choice) micro ones i think...

I just noticed I did the exact same A levels as you lol
Reply 13
Thanks everyone. :yy:
suneilr
I just noticed I did the exact same A levels as you lol

... and did you enjoy them? rewarding? difficult? how did you find those subjects? and how much work was 5 a-levels? sorry for the interrogation about all this...
what are you doing now then?
Reply 15
Mr Nonsense
... and did you enjoy them? rewarding? difficult? how did you find those subjects? and how much work was 5 a-levels? sorry for the interrogation about all this...
what are you doing now then?

Yeah it was challenging but it was definitely worth all the extra work. I found Further Maths and Economics the hardest but if you put in the time you can definitely get good grades. I'm currently doing Physics at Imperial.
suneilr
Yeah it was challenging but it was definitely worth all the extra work. I found Further Maths and Economics the hardest but if you put in the time you can definitely get good grades. I'm currently doing Physics at Imperial.

oh wow! congratulations! i am thinking of doing physics at uni (at this stage anyway...although anything could change in the next year) :biggrin:

Latest