The Student Room Group

A nutritionist is a doctor or a dietetician ?

Hello everybody!

I am just wondering if to become a nutritionist in UK people have to get into bsc Dietetics & Nutrition or if they have to do first medicine then an internship in nutrition ?

Because in France, Dietetician and Nutritionist aren't at all the same.
A dietetican study 2 or 3 years after A-levels whereas a nutritionist is first a doctor, so he study approximately 8 or 9 years (I don't know how long is an internship in nutrition). And consequently the salaries are differents!

What about United Kingdom ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Can be both.

I used to work for the Food Standards Agency - nutritionists (most were actually dieticians) there were largely by BSc training. The head honcho was a medic though.

However, IIRC anyone can set up as a nutritonist in the UK - where as the title dietician is a regulated term. However, if they are registered with the Nutrition Society, they have done an accepted undergrad degree.
Reply 2
Fluffy
However, IIRC anyone can set up as a nutritonist in the UK
Dr Gillian McKeith?
Reply 3

*snorts* Quack!
Reply 4

Indeedy!
Reply 5
Dietitians in the uk, on average, are paid more than nutritionists because the degree leads to a wider variety of job prospects. To train in medicine and then become a nutritionist would be a waste of time and money- u'd be better of just doing a nutrition degree, and so the bsc is better option.
Reply 6
I don't think Prof Powell Tuck would agree :wink:
Reply 7
What's this rubbish doing in 195?
Reply 8
Thank you for your answers !
and thanks niccy, it was what I'd like to know!
Reply 9
fair comment, i suppose in some cases doing medicine and then nutrition may not be pointless- but i think its an uncommon and timely route to become a nutritionist. Obviously if you want to do research then a medical background will help (sorry fluffy!). I don't understand why this is rubbish renal the angry medic? x
Reply 10
niccy
I don't understand why this is rubbish renal the angry medic? x
Cos it's languished in GD, answered, for the last couple of weeks and has now appeared in here so that it can be bumped.

Latest

Trending

Trending