The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They Built It As A Barrier/protection Against The Vikings And Scandanavian Fighters From The North, At This Time They Had Just Previously Been In Battle With Them. It Then Became The Official Borderline For England And Scotland.
Reply 2
thank you for that
I need some more
Weapons?
Reply 3
Golz
thank you for that
I need some more
Weapons?

Because they forged their wepeons with iton, etc. Have you never seen GLADIATOR??? OMG?? Joke. Go into goole ant type in what you are looking for.
Reply 4
i tried google and all but i cant find anything.
i saw the first gladiator scene but i need more info
Reply 5
Golz
i tried google and all but i cant find anything.
i saw the first gladiator scene but i need more info

:cool: Oviously you didn't look very hard, here hope this helps:

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/Hadrian's_Wall.htm

http://www.vikingmetalworks.com/roman.html
Reply 6
i went on the first one because i found it on google and i didn't find it much help and the second one is great
thanks
Reply 7
please someone help me
Reply 8
Golz
please someone help me

When is that essay due in? It may be too late, but are you talking about weapons of the soldiers or of gladiators?
Reply 9
B00kwOrm
When is that essay due in? It may be too late, but are you talking about weapons of the soldiers or of gladiators?

Soldiers I'd imagine, since i'ts to do with Hadrian's wall.

Maybe if you told us your essay title we could give you a bit more advice....
Reply 10
B00kwOrm

My essay is due in the tuesday after half term.
I need weapons about everything reallly
Reply 11
theone
Soldiers I'd imagine, since i'ts to do with Hadrian's wall.

Maybe if you told us your essay title we could give you a bit more advice....

Essay title
Why were the Romans so Powerful
Reply 12
Golz
Essay title
Why were the Romans so Powerful

The power of the Romans comes primarily from their armed forces, obviously, but not only. Bear in mind that trade and transport, effcient administration and a good legal system also contributed to their power.

I recommend you get a book called "Roman Armies" (or "The Roman Army") by Peter Conolly. It may be in the children section of your local library, but it gives you a very good overview of how the roman army worked and why it was so powerful. He also wrote separate books on Roman legions and Roman cavalry. Thats where I got most of my knowledge of the Roman army from. These books also explain the weapons- for soldiers as well as siege weapons. They have many illustrations (very good ones!) but they go into a lot of detail.

I could go on and on about the legions, cavalry, navy, auxiliary troops and so on, but I think it'd be better if you got these books, look in your local library or on the school library.

If you still need help or you cannot find the book, I'll tell you more on weapons or on how the legions worked. How many words is th essay supposed to be, and how much detail is expected of you? Is this essay meant to deal mainly with Roman military power, or other factors as well?

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply 13
the romans were powerful bcuz they were tizight
Reply 14
B00kwOrm
The power of the Romans comes primarily from their armed forces, obviously, but not only. Bear in mind that trade and transport, effcient administration and a good legal system also contributed to their power.

I recommend you get a book called "Roman Armies" (or "The Roman Army") by Peter Conolly. It may be in the children section of your local library, but it gives you a very good overview of how the roman army worked and why it was so powerful. He also wrote separate books on Roman legions and Roman cavalry. Thats where I got most of my knowledge of the Roman army from. These books also explain the weapons- for soldiers as well as siege weapons. They have many illustrations (very good ones!) but they go into a lot of detail.

I could go on and on about the legions, cavalry, navy, auxiliary troops and so on, but I think it'd be better if you got these books, look in your local library or on the school library.

If you still need help or you cannot find the book, I'll tell you more on weapons or on how the legions worked. How many words is th essay supposed to be, and how much detail is expected of you? Is this essay meant to deal mainly with Roman military power, or other factors as well?

I hope this helps. Good luck!

To be honest that didn't help very much. The essay hasn;t got a limit but i think its better for me to do quite a bit for my stroct teacher. I am expected quite good quality out of this seeing as i am in top set. Could you tell me about Hadrians wall and more of their weapons. This isn't about one thing, it is about a multiple things but all to do with why the romans were so powerful
Reply 15
Weapons and Hadrians wall. I cdefinately need info about Hadrians wall
Reply 16
come on please some more information
Reply 17
Ok i need to know something about their health and hygiene
How the Romans lived
Reply 18
please everyone i am trying to get it finished but cant do a thing unless i get information and all i need to know is about how the romans lived and about their health and hygiene
Golz
please everyone i am trying to get it finished but cant do a thing unless i get information and all i need to know is about how the romans lived and about their health and hygiene

check this guide out:

http://www.tki.org.nz/r/socialscience/curriculum/SSOL/rome/schedule2_e.php

Ideas:
Health and hygiene - Galen's theories on medicine widely followed for centures; state responsibility to ensure public sanitation system was in place. Belief in cleanliness, regular bathing.

Actions:
Health and hygiene - construction of aqueducts, sewers, bath houses, toilets. Huge investment of resources in these projects illustrates how important they were to the Romans. Regular bathing - part of daily life. But - doctors generally held in low regard - put more faith in gods, omens, sacrifices, etc.

How these ideas/actions are viewed today:
Health and Hygiene
Ideas about medicine - seen as being unscientific by many; but some aspects of ancient medicines (eg. herbal remedies) are still accepted by others. Ideas about hygiene, public health viewed positively. Actions of constructing baths, aqueducts widely admired - especially by tourists.

Also this site:

http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/romanpublichealth.htm
http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/galen.htm
http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/romeinvestigations.htm (nice pics)

Latest

Trending

Trending