The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Anyone think that "Unite Students" dont know how to run student flats?

I cant say whether this applies to every Unite-Student flats, but I live in Snow Island and there are some seriously stupid mistakes on their part for trying to accomodate us.

For a start the room was pretty run down, it smelled of smoke, the walls and carpet were all dirty and the matress was all cut up (I also listed a few other things in one of my earlier posts). But fortunatly most of the problems were cleared up as they repainted the walls, washed the curtains and got me a brand new mattress. The smoke smell still remained but i've been working on that, although the carpet could have done with a wash or even putting in a new one, but it seems they didnt think about that.

Anyway, aside from my room the kitchen system is about strange. For a start we have 6 people in our flat and we have 1 fridge and 2 freezers. Now I don't know how many people use fridges but for 6 people that seems kind of ridiculous. We asked the people at reception about it but they say we cant have another one in so many words. The worse thing is that we have a dishwasher when we havent used it and dont ever plan on using it. I mean forgive me if im wrong but wouldnt it be more convenient to have 2 fridges, 2 freezers and no dishwasher?

Moving on. The previous accomodation I was at was Storthes Hall (which had 2 fridges just to note) and in our second year our flat was slightly upgraded so we got a mini living room but also a TV. Fine Snow Island didn't mention anything about a communial flat TV but in my opinion it would at least give the flat abit more atmosphere and "homelyness". Something else which is only a minor point, but when you consider the amount of people in the flat it is kinda major, is that the oven only has 1 rack which usually fits enough room for one, two max, leaving the only space at the bottom. Like I said its pretty minor but when the time comes that everyone wants to use the oven it would seem logical to put in 2 racks. Also when I was at Storthes we had kichen cleaners and room cleaners which was very convenient, unfortunatly here we dont have anything, except a note to remind us to take out the rubbish, so I do kinda question where our money goes.

You could say that it would probably be worth having a open day check of the flat before I moved in, but I had heard lots of good reviews about snow island and it seems like a nice place, but unfortunately I had been on a placement year and hadn't had the time to give each accomodation a twice over. Of course the accomodation does have some good points. The reception staff are pretty helpful and are always there, the room isnt that big but its good enough for what we need with definatly enough space for storage at least its a roof above our heads, but for the price we pay I would say that it is overpriced and there have been some overlooks to accomodate us (or at least perhaps just me if you dont agree).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Everyone!

I had major issues while my stay in firth point Huddersfield and I strongly recommend finding accommodation elsewhere. I moved out after 3 months to a much better and economical place.

On my first day to the UK, I met the first receptionist who dint even knows whether she can take money by cash or not. As you know not many will have a bank account before entering UK. Secondly the room which they allotted me belonged to civil service flat and I did not fit there. Also I asked for a change of room in matter of 10 minutes but they refused and asked me to pay fine of 50 pounds for the same. Also they don’t allow to see the rooms before you book. To make it worse they did not arrange my room and it was very cold. It was told that they will provide sleeping kit, but I went all the way to Snow Island to purchase a kit and they say it’s not available and that we can get in supermarkets. It was 2am in the morning and they expect an international student to go to a supermarket when it’s not even open at that time. I had to sleep without a blanket or bed sheet for the whole night and was shivering with terrible cold, thanks to Unite.

That’s not it guys I had regular problems with the rent payment as they did not tract my payments properly. Also the customer service in the main headquarters is also bad and there is no communication between them and the unite employees, both speak differently.

And one more thing they keep increasing the rent amount almost everymonth and inform about this without fail.

Please guys please find a better accomodation from internet searching!

Gud Luk!
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Has anyone managed to leave unite without paying?

I don't think they deserve our money...

My guarantor has moved outside of england... I'm also moving outside of england... just analysing to check what are the implications of this...

I was on short stay, payed a deposit...

it's all so disorganized.. people at reception don't seem to know what they're doing... it's all looking too easy...

anyone who ever done this care to share the experience?

appreciate it.
Well yeah I’m in the middle of finalising my accom. for Snow Island which was due on 31 August yet they are telling me they haven’t received anything and are considering dropping my booking which is ******* annoying. I sent it in on Wednesday 1st class so i have no idea what they are on about the room is good and its at snow island.
They are also asking for a 1st instalment payment a month before my course starts and a month before student finance even pay me my first instalment for my loan, yet they don’t have the kindness to postpone this date which sickens me. I’m only having problems with them in the booking process hopefully no problems with the actual room.....
Reply 4
Nigerianspartan
Well yeah I’m in the middle of finalising my accom. for Snow Island which was due on 31 August yet they are telling me they haven’t received anything and are considering dropping my booking which is ******* annoying. I sent it in on Wednesday 1st class so i have no idea what they are on about the room is good and its at snow island.
They are also asking for a 1st instalment payment a month before my course starts and a month before student finance even pay me my first instalment for my loan, yet they don’t have the kindness to postpone this date which sickens me. I’m only having problems with them in the booking process hopefully no problems with the actual room.....

i had this problem, absoulute idiots, i had to borrow £1200 to pay my first installment in order to keep my room, as its 20 days till my loan comes through!:mad: :confused: :eek:
RyanSparks
i had this problem, absoulute idiots, i had to borrow £1200 to pay my first installment in order to keep my room, as its 20 days till my loan comes through!:mad: :confused: :eek:

Well yeah I've spoken to them today they said i can pay for it within 4 days as many students are having this problem or pay at the desk of which they will incur an APR charge so its "ok" at the moment going to take out an overdraft and pay these ******* :smile:
Reply 6
I live in Firth Point in Hudds, and i've absolutely had enough of it now. Been here since january, the first day i moved in i had to travel up to snow island and was handed a bunch of keys handed to me by the security guard, and had to make my own way to find my room and work out what the keys were for. I'm not originally from the area, so after travelling 6 hours to get here it wasn't the warmest welcome ever.

From jan - july everything was ok, basic but fine to live in. However my flatmates left the kitchen in a disgusting state leading to us failing many "inspections" meaning I had to clean up after everyone.
From july i rented my room for a "summer let" as i needed to stay in my room over the summer holiday. I was then charged £10 for a mess that my last flatmates had left in the kitchen, and had endless problems with maintanence work men letting themselves in to my room without knocking to fix showers/paint walls and whatever else they felt like doing, total lack of respect for my privacy. I've now just been away for a few days to find that another "inspection" has been done, and this time they've decided to turn off my fridge and freezer, so lots of my food has had to be chucked out without any warning that this would happen. They also took some cleaning products and new bin liners that i had bought for the kitchen, again for no apparant reason.

Communication in this place is diabolical, and there's NEVER anyone at the firth point reception, we have to travel to snow island to get any chance of sorting out problems.
In my opinion they are not student friendly at all, and like many people have said, a total ****** rip off!! Grrrr....:mad:
Reply 7
Original post by Nigerianspartan

Yeah I had paid my deposit and it went through fine as I did it over the phone. If you sent a cheuque in maybe cancel that and pay by direct debit? Also I noticed that they wanted money before we got any loans through and they said to me "We realise a lot of students staying here won't be able to pay the first installment on the due date as it does not co-incide with the payments from the loands company, however if you bring in a letter/screenshot stating that you wil be getting it then we are more than happy to wait". She said that to me when I went for a visit. The room was beautiful and much more 'worth it' compared to Ashenhurst and Aspley. Bad point about Ashenhurst is the rooms are small, the show flat was messy, communial showers were messy. Bad points about Aspley are the internet is not included in the rent, there is a gym on site but you have to pay and the smell was simply awful. However Snow Island was clean, en-suite shower, toilet, sink, large rooms/communial areas, and the staff were helpful.

Just hold on on it will be worth the wait :smile:.
This is a review for the == [UNITE STUDENT] ==, student halls. The one I am going to talk about is == Woodland court == near caledonian road station , London.

== '''My experience in the Unite halls was awful,''' ==
I have to admit I met great people and some of the people I lived with were excellent, but in terms of the service and everything that is advertise on the website, it was the most ridiculous , waste of time and money consuming thing I have ever done. I want to also make clear that this opinion is not just mine but most of the student in the building.
To start with we pay £200 p/w which come £800 a month, which is already overprice.

== Construction next door ==
two months or less into the contract we started noticing that just next door (literally outside my window) a construction company called "Ardmore" started demolishing the buildings next to us, in some places the building almost share the same wall. It is a big site and it goes around 60 to 70% of the halls.
It produces unbelievable amounts of dust , noise and in some occasions it shake the building the beds and even in the showers it can be felt.
To prove that I am not exaggerating any of these I have posted 3 videos on youtube (woodland court - united student ) showing what it is like.
We were never told that there was going to be that next door and we sign a 53 week contract with the company because there was no choice of any shorter contracts ( I am aware that in some other buildings there is ).
We never received an explanation or even an apology. Then we tried to contact the main office about the situation. first we called and they said that we could not complain about it on the phone we had to do it by email , they gave us the email. I have too add that on the website it does not provided any email addresses , in fact when you go to the complain section it says " we hope you never anything to complain about BUT IT DOES NOT PROVIDE THE EMAIL.
When contacted by email , we had a response from the building manager who met with us. He was vague and gave us the (we look for the benefit of our clients speech) which was poor and lacked professionalism.
After the meeting he sent us an email saying "They will be working from 8am-5:30pm Monday-Friday and 8am-1pm Saturday (although they will try to avoid working Saturdays where possible) We will ensure all residents are given advance notice of these times so you can decide whether you can tolerate the noise, or whether you prefer to plan your studies elsewhere for that period of time, e.g. library or a friend’s house."
Basically if we could not stand the noise then we had to leave the building we pay for everyday of the week and saturdays!. After a few emails with really poor excuses of a response , we decided to contact the council , who came and told us that we deserved some compensation for it. She said that noise was more than the legal limit and the hours and were the hours of work. we emailed them and we had not have any response yet.
Ardmore also add when talking to the council that there have met with them previously at least 4 times, and they assumed we were told about the situation.

Additionally in exam time and assignment time, the noise was unbearable, very difficult to work in and uncomfortable.

== Washing machines ==
: the whole building which has a capacity for at least 500 students , has a laundry room of about 10 to 12 washing machines and and 10 to 12 dryers. They are owned by an external company called Circuit , meaning that every time they brake or take your money , you have to call them and tell them what happened. the call takes about 15 minutes and the stuff on the other side of the line is unbelievable rude. In average there is one to two machines broken every week and there is nothing they can do about it. sometimes all the machines are broken at the same time.

== fire alarms ==
are constantly going off in the middle of the night without any explanation this happens at least 3 times a month. sometimes is goes on for an hour long. Because have been so use to the sound we do not go downstairs anymore; in case there was a real fire we will all die because we are so use to it going off. The "security" down stairs has no idea what to do when this happens , and does not know how to switch it of sometimes. What they do, is they call another number so they can tell them what to do in the middle of the night ( the call can take up to 20 minutes to be answered).
Reply 9
I was planning on booking with Unite when I go to Uni in a couple of years time and this has put me off. Would it be better to stay in the University accommodation then?
Reply 10
Just wrote a review for Snow Island - we had an awesome time.
Unlucky if you didn't though!
Reply 11
I had an ace time at snow island, i think unite have gotten a lot better because i haven't known anyone to have the problems that the people are posting about from 08/09. i'd check the dates on reviews because a lot of them seem out of date now!
Reply 12
Hey
Has anyone stayed at the Wedgewood court unite building? I'm considering staying there. Any experiences advice?
Reply 13
i stayed at firth point last year and the actual Unite were awesome, the security were a phone call away and would come up and sort most things, you tended to get on first name basis if you became friendly and that always helped if you were the noisy flat :smile: you can smoke in the buildings, but its on if all flat mates agree to this (this is obviously up to the flat apart from E block that is non smoking) the rooms are larger than places like storthes which i found a plus, ok reception is only open a few hours a day which was a pain as we managed to loose our post box key within like a month so had to wait for it to be open to get the spare if we wanted to see for post, only got charged a little bit out of the deposit (so got most of the deposit back) and that was for repainting a wall in the kitchen coz yeah we left it in a disgusting way but we tried washing it and it didn't work, personally my experience was pretty awesome i just kinda fell out with my flat mate in the final term :P so yeah don't get put off they have got better they take criticism and change it like for next year there now putting kettles in the kitchen, theres now 2 fridges 2 freezers as people said no need for dishwasher, we failed every inspection going but didn't get charged in the end, its to do with living with people that don't know how to tidy up that gets in the way of student accom, but you'll get that wherever you are :smile:
Reply 14
I'm moving there soon and they want the first term rent on 3rd September, I don't get my loan til the 19th, will they let me postpone it til then?
Original post by luke93
I'm moving there soon and they want the first term rent on 3rd September, I don't get my loan til the 19th, will they let me postpone it til then?

yeah i just phoned them about that, they said that I could pay £500 for now to arrange a "late payment agreement" then pay the remainder when my loan comes on the 19th, but the loan usually are late so tell them 24th or around that time.

Oh and they were so rude omg. i felt like i got threatened over the phone and that's something!
Original post by LilMonster
yeah i just phoned them about that, they said that I could pay £500 for now to arrange a "late payment agreement" then pay the remainder when my loan comes on the 19th, but the loan usually are late so tell them 24th or around that time.

Oh and they were so rude omg. i felt like i got threatened over the phone and that's something!

Hi LilMonster,

My names Frankie, I work for UNITE.

I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful as I’m here to give help and advice to TSR users.

I’m sorry to hear about your telephone experience, that certainly isn’t our intention. Is there anything I can look in to for you?

Has your payment query been resolved?

Frankie
Reply 17
My friend had the same experience when she rang up about it! They do realise we're the paying customers right?!

And what's this £500 late payment rubbish about? What student has £500 they can just give like that? Do you know what market you're providing here, one that's not very wealthy!! What is the issue with waiting til we get our student loans? You'll obviously get the money WHY THE RUSH? There's no way I can afford the £500, but you'll get over 3 times that if you wait til loan day, this is going to be a VERY common problem amongst all students, why make things hard? I know DIGS have no problem with postponing payments and look at post #8! What's changed?
Original post by luke93
My friend had the same experience when she rang up about it! They do realise we're the paying customers right?!

And what's this £500 late payment rubbish about? What student has £500 they can just give like that? Do you know what market you're providing here, one that's not very wealthy!! What is the issue with waiting til we get our student loans? You'll obviously get the money WHY THE RUSH? There's no way I can afford the £500, but you'll get over 3 times that if you wait til loan day, this is going to be a VERY common problem amongst all students, why make things hard? I know DIGS have no problem with postponing payments and look at post #8! What's changed?

DIGS was great last year!!! Unite is just something else.
Original post by luke93

Hi luke93,

As I mentioned in my post to LilMonster, my names Frankie, I work for UNITE and I’m here on The Student Room to give help and advice about UNITE to TSR users.

We’ve got a number of payment options we can discuss if you feel you are going to struggle to make your first instalment before your loan comes in.

If you send me a PM with your full name and DOB I can have a look at your booking and arrange for someone to give you a call to talk you through some alternatives?

I hope this helps,

Frankie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending