The Student Room Group

First Order Differential Integration (Integrating Factor?)

Hey, I was wondering whether anyone could help me with the first part of a question I am stuck on, integrating:
xy(dy/dx)=1 xy (dy/dx) = 1
I would assume that I have to find an integrating factor, however to do this we have been taught to get the equation into the form
(dy/dx)+P(x)y=Q(x) (dy/dx) + P(x)y = Q(x)
However the closest I can get is
(dy/dx)(1/xy)=0 (dy/dx) - (1/xy) = 0
This gives me an integrating factor of -ln x if I just assume that y^-1 works the same as y however I assume that it doesn't as this doesn't seem to help. Any advice?
You don't need an integrating factor; the differential equation is separable.
Reply 2
Don't use the integrating factor method. It is separable.
Reply 3
The integrating factor method only works if you can get it in the exact form dydx+P(x)Y=Q(x)\frac{dy}{dx} + P(x)Y = Q(x), which you can't for this DE. Luckily, it separates easily.
Reply 4
Aha :smile: I did think that, however we've never really been taught WHEN an equation is separable, I don't really like the idea of just 'multiplying' across dx and my physics teacher says this doesn't always work. But thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Mithra
Hey, I was wondering whether anyone could help me with the first part of a question I am stuck on, integrating:
xy(dy/dx)=1 xy (dy/dx) = 1
I would assume that I have to find an integrating factor, however to do this we have been taught to get the equation into the form
(dy/dx)+P(x)y=Q(x) (dy/dx) + P(x)y = Q(x)
However the closest I can get is
(dy/dx)(1/xy)=0 (dy/dx) - (1/xy) = 0
This gives me an integrating factor of -ln x if I just assume that y^-1 works the same as y however I assume that it doesn't as this doesn't seem to help. Any advice?

Also you cant use integrating factors for this as it is in the form y' + P(x)/y = Q(x)
which isn't the right form.
Reply 6
Mithra
Aha :smile: I did think that, however we've never really been taught WHEN an equation is separable, I don't really like the idea of just 'multiplying' across dx and my physics teacher says this doesn't always work. But thanks :smile:

I don't know why it works either, but at A-level, you can safely assume that it does :yep:
Reply 7
tommm
I don't know why it works either, but at A-level, you can safely assume that it does :yep:

Hehe, ok if I have to :biggrin:

Latest