The Student Room Group

Interailling - itinery, websites, etc.

Hey guys, thinking of looking at some of Europe and taking advantage of the interail scheme.

I'd like to visit:

Krakow - Auschwitz
Budapest
Vienna
Rome
Florence
Turin
Berlin + other parts Germany for Xmas markets.

More or less in that kind of order, but I'm very open to ideas. Is that a possible itinery? The trek from Vienna to Rome seems difficult; would I be best to fly?

Also, how do I find out the exact train timetables, or at least rough ones?

Any help/tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Ooh and I'd also like to visit the Netherlands, but as I'm on my own, I'm a little apprehensive about Amsterdam!
Get the thomas cook european train timetable, that has all of them in for the entire continent. www.raileurope.com is pretty good too for when you're at home but you can't take that with you in your bag!
Just from looking online it seems it will take you about 10-15 hours on the train from Vienna to Rome- which is perfectly fine, especially if you travel over night as then you don't pay for accomodation. You could stop of in say, Turin or somewhere in Italy or in the west of Austria on the way if you wanted a shorter journey. As you're going to Krakow and Budapest, its worth going to Prague- its only 4 hours from there on the train to Vienna, and then Budapest is a couple of hours from Vienna on the train. Bratislava is half an hour from Vienna, so you should go there too as its well worth the trip even if you only go for the day.

Why should Amsterdam be a problem for you? Its not like you wander around and purely because you're female you'll get dragged into a booth in the red light district and forced to perform!! Its really funny wandering around and seeing how desperate some guys are for sex, and laughing at the girls in the windows. And similarly, if you don't want to do weed you can have a perfectly good time without that- just don't go into the coffee shops which say '18+, we don't sell alcohol'. The Netherlands is a really pretty country- and flat so great for cycling. Go to Utrecht too- half an hour on the train.
Reply 2
oxymoronic
Get the thomas cook european train timetable, that has all of them in for the entire continent. www.raileurope.com is pretty good too for when you're at home but you can't take that with you in your bag!
Just from looking online it seems it will take you about 10-15 hours on the train from Vienna to Rome- which is perfectly fine, especially if you travel over night as then you don't pay for accomodation. You could stop of in say, Turin or somewhere in Italy or in the west of Austria on the way if you wanted a shorter journey. As you're going to Krakow and Budapest, its worth going to Prague- its only 4 hours from there on the train to Vienna, and then Budapest is a couple of hours from Vienna on the train. Bratislava is half an hour from Vienna, so you should go there too as its well worth the trip even if you only go for the day.

Why should Amsterdam be a problem for you? Its not like you wander around and purely because you're female you'll get dragged into a booth in the red light district and forced to perform!! Its really funny wandering around and seeing how desperate some guys are for sex, and laughing at the girls in the windows. And similarly, if you don't want to do weed you can have a perfectly good time without that- just don't go into the coffee shops which say '18+, we don't sell alcohol'. The Netherlands is a really pretty country- and flat so great for cycling. Go to Utrecht too- half an hour on the train.

Hey thanks for the reply. I found a website where you could search train timetables, and yeah, there was a train Vienna to Rome direct or 1 stop which is pretty good.

I was reading around on some forums and a few girls alone had said that they had felt "uncomfortable" on their own, whilst they hadn't in other cities, but I guess it's down to how you feel personally so I'll have a go :smile:
:shifty:
jodie_lee
Hey thanks for the reply. I found a website where you could search train timetables, and yeah, there was a train Vienna to Rome direct or 1 stop which is pretty good.

I was reading around on some forums and a few girls alone had said that they had felt "uncomfortable" on their own, whilst they hadn't in other cities, but I guess it's down to how you feel personally so I'll have a go :smile:

I think it depends how confident a traveller you are, as Amsterdam is slightly different to other European capitals. Especially at the weekend as all of the stag nights are there then. But if you're confident within yourself at your abilities to get by in a city then its not a problem. I felt a lot safer in Amsterdam than I have done in other cities, but if you don't go flaunting yourself about as an alone, single girl then its cool. Also you'll meet people in hostels who you can hang around with if you don't want to go out alone.
Reply 4
Slovakia is very nice to go to. You can go from Krakow to Kosice to Budapest by train. I think from there you can easily get to a lot of places. The Kosice train station has a list of interesting places on its departures board- vienna, split (croatioa), rome etc and they go pretty much every day. basically nowhere is hard to get to.

Latest