The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not sure about any other universities but in my first year doing maths at uea and I haven't had any free options to use this year. As far as I'm aware I wasn't going to have any choices for first year at Nottingham either for maths! Just letting you know! I wasn't that impressed with the maths department at York but that's just my personal opinion! Goodl uck deciding!
Reply 21
steerpike1985
oh yeah I know, I just meant that if you're wondering what course is best at different uni's, York's isn't absolutely amazing, but then it depends on what sort of things you want to study.

I dropped out because I changed my mind about maths and wanted to do English. I kept changing my mind before I went to York, and when I got there just a word with my supervisor who basically said 'go home if you don't want to do it' which was a pretty good idea really. If you're doing physics though, won't they let you switch to maths?

Yeh they're letting me switch, my supervisor also told me to either go home or change, as I hated Physics..
I'm in my 4th year doing maths at York. I have to say I'm very impressed with the department. As has been pointed out, the course is very rigid for the first couple of years, but it gives you quite a solid background in most areas of maths except finacial mathematics (unless you do the maths/stats option). But when you get to the 3rd and 4th years the options are quite large. It's possible to concentrate almost soley on a single area of maths such as mths phys, algebra or analysis only needing to do the odd course in other areas to make up your total. But also, you can do pretty much any mix of the modules available. I don't know how this compares to other unis, but I think it's quite good.
The teaching ain't too bad either. Obviously there are differences between the abilities of the staff. But most appear to be very commited to their subject and want to see you do well. They also have a excellent research rating.

Someone was asking about Physics at York...from my experience I'd say it's the worst department there I've come across. I've shared houses with several physics students over the years as well as doing several elective modules in the department. Compared to the maths department Physics seems very disorgansied with very little support for the students and has poor communications.
Reply 23
I know loads of people who have already dropped Physics, and loads more who hate it but are gonna carry on doing it. I just cant see the point in doing something Im not enjoying at all!

Hopefully Maths will be better then!
imasillynarb
I know loads of people who have already dropped Physics, and loads more who hate it but are gonna carry on doing it. I just cant see the point in doing something Im not enjoying at all!

Your doing physics right now aren't you? Are you in your first year? If so, do you do the mathematical modeling course with Dr Probert?
Reply 25
imasillynarb

at a level maths is all the hard stuff of physics, so if ur good at maths u get ur A

Latest