The Student Room Group

A (small) STEP dilemma

(Not entirely sure where to put this, but I think that this is the best place.)

A little bit of background (please don't accuse me of posting this to show off or anything, I'm looking for some help) - I've just started year 12, I've done my A-level in Maths, I've finished learning all of Further Maths, I'm doing 3 other AS-levels and I'm looking to apply to Cambridge/Warwick for Maths next year.

It might be a little early to be thinking of this yet, as I've got plenty of time to decide, but I'm going to sit two STEP exams in June. My problem is deciding which two I should sit. Would it be worth me sitting II and III, or should I stick to I and II? With a bit of preparation, I think I could be ready to do well in III by June, but I'd probably find I and II easier. However, I'd love to get STEP III out of the way so there's less pressure on me than if I had an offer resting directly upon it. Has anybody got any advice?

Also, if I did do a STEP exam early and got a 1/S, I wouldn't have to sit it again, would I?
Reply 1
No you wouldn't have to resit. Go for II and III. its not like you can lose anything from doing that. I seriously regret not having taken II and III this year, I was too easy for me really..
Reply 2
You have to do II and III for Cambridge, so if you're worried about the pressure being on, then do those two, and you will still have another year and another chance to improve if all goes horribly wrong (I'm sure it won't though, you clearly have a great aptitude for maths!)
if you dont do II and III cambridge would know you were taking the easy option...

if youve done f. math, do II and III, thats like the rule
Reply 4
Hmm, you're a year younger than I thought you were!

My advice would be to prepare for II and III, and then decide at Easter whether you think you can get a 1 on STEP III or not. The deadline for deciding is a long way away, and lots of things can happen before then.
Reply 5
Kolya
My advice would be to prepare for II and III, and then decide at Easter whether you think you can get a 1 on STEP III or not. The deadline for deciding is a long way away, and lots of things can happen before then.

This probably seems the way to go, thanks for everyone's advice. I'm surprised actually, I thought people would be telling me to do I and II.

Another question: I'm going to do M4 and M5 in June anyway, but is it worth me learning S3 and S4 to help me with STEP?
Reply 6
tommm
This probably seems the way to go, thanks for everyone's advice. I'm surprised actually, I thought people would be telling me to do I and II.
Kolya's right: it does no harm to aim at STEP III and decide later. My guess is that you will be more than ready for STEP III by the time of the exams.

Another question: I'm going to do M4 and M5 in June anyway, but is it worth me learning S3 and S4 to help me with STEP?
To be honest, my feeling is S3/S4 is a lot of material to cover when it is likely there'll only be one question needing the material over the whole of STEP I/II/III.

Of course, if you've finished everything else, you've got nothing to lose by learning more maths...
Reply 7
Dave knows much more than I do, but I think it rare for a Stats question (even on III) to require the kind of things that occur on S3/S4? Unlike Mechanics where they may ask you about inertia, or something like that, I think the Stats questions tend to involve more of the core probability/stats that is mostly covered in S1/S2? Not that it makes them easier by any stretch, but it means you don't need to know a wad of theory to approach them.

(I could be wrong on this.)
Reply 8
Um, that's what I was trying to say. I'd say there's a roughly 50:50 chance you'll get a question on S3/S4 material in STEP III, and very unlikely you'll get more than 1.

Which means it's unlikely to be worth it, unless you've got nothing better to do with your time. (Which if you've already finished the main FM syllabus, may well be the case by June).
Reply 9
DFranklin
(Which if you've already finished the main FM syllabus, may well be the case by June).

Sadly enough, I've already finished it (overall I've learnt C1-C4, FP1-3, M1-3, S1-2.)
I'll say go for II and III. You'll have more time to prepare for STEP III than the average Cambridge offer-holder anyway.

Latest