The Student Room Group

The Arabic Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
XAlonso
Yalllah means 'oh my god'

are you sure? that's Ya Allah as in 'oh my god' but this was different pronunciation, i think i spelt it wrong :colondollar: oh well lol x
i_<3_you
both please! shukran :smile:

Classic:

You have beautiful eyes - "Aynak jameelatan"
How are you? - "Kayfa haluka?"

Colloquial:

You have beautiful eyes - "Eneik hilween"
How are you? - "Keifak?" or (in Egyptian Arabic) "Ezzayak?"

:biggrin:
XAlonso
Yalllah means 'oh my god'

No it doesn't...

Yalla means MOVE! I yell it at my sister like everyday ("omg Lilly yalla yalla get out!" etc...).

W'allah means I swear to God.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|_0ST
are you sure? that's Ya Allah as in 'oh my god' but this was different pronunciation, i think i spelt it wrong :colondollar: oh well lol x
Bubbles*de*Milo
No it doesn't...

Yalla means MOVE! I yell it at my sister like everyday ("omg Lilly yalla yalla get out!" etc...).

i go with bubbles! :biggrin:.. wa'llah definately means i swear to god and yalla, i think it also means move, i heard my friend saying it to his friend, and they speak arabic.. and i asked him what he meant, he said i said move. lol
xBillyBrownx
Classic:

You have beautiful eyes - "Aynak jameelatan"
How are you? - "Kayfa haluka?"

Colloquial:

You have beautiful eyes - "Eneik hilween"
How are you? - "Keifak?" or (in Egyptian Arabic) "Ezzayak?"

:biggrin:

SHUKRAN! :biggrin:, iv noted it down :smile:
another thing, hehe.. how do you say:

you look nice today (to male and female)
your funny
hi or is salam enough?
smile
Bubbles*de*Milo
No it doesn't...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

C'est vrai ca. But "Ya Allah" can also mean "Oh my God". I think.
i_<3_you
SHUKRAN! :biggrin:, iv noted it down :smile:
another thing, hehe.. how do you say:

you look nice today (to male and female)
your funny
hi or is salam enough?
smile

Afwan :biggrin:

Alrighty. Classic:

You look nice today: Male: "Shakluka jameel alyawm", female: "Shakluki jameel alywam"
You're funny - Male: "Anta mudhik", female: "Anti mudhika"
I think salam is enough :yep: .
Smile - Male: "Ibtasim", female: "Ibtasimi"

Colloquial:

You look nice today: Male: "Shaklak hilw enaharda/alyom", female: "Shaklik hilw enaharda/alyom"
You're funny: Male: "Inta betdahhak", female: "Inti betdahhakki"
Smile: Same :yy:
xBillyBrownx
C'est vrai ca. But "Ya Allah" can also mean "Oh my God". I think.

True, but 'ya allah' is a different word to 'yalla'. Don't mix em up, you say it differently too.
Bubbles*de*Milo
True, but 'ya allah' is a different word to 'yalla'. Don't mix em up, you say it differently too.

Indeed.
Reply 29
its sooo confusing that colloquial and standard arabic are so different. plus the fact every country has its own dialect. i just want to learn stanard arabic for now and then learn the dialects depending on where i go i think
Reply 30
good luck :smile:
yalla - both a's are pronounced as schwas

ya allah - pronounced "yaa allaah" (1st and 3rd a's are long vowels)
Reply 32
arabic is so cool. me is loving it!
Reply 33
Anatheme
Ich auch :yep:

du willst deutsch in den Arabisch society sprechen? lol
Reply 34
Anatheme
Ach, ja, ich liebe Deutsche. Errr, ok, I'll stop here, my knowledge of the German language is pretty poor :frown:

ana taaghbana, weh ana mushgrula, ghandee lots of shohol

how do you say lots of? as in i hae lots of work?! :confused:
lavalse
ana taaghbana, weh ana mushgrula, ghandee lots of shohol

how do you say lots of? as in i hae lots of work?! :confused:

You say "andee shoghl keteer" as in you put keteer/ketir at the end of that sentence :yy:
Reply 36
xBillyBrownx
You say "andee shoghl keteer" as in you put keteer/ketir at the end of that sentence :yy:

yay thank you!
OO wow its great to see some people are intrested in arabic
Im arabic & speak arabic although i have lived here all my life i do actually get stuck on some words, So i would say my english is stronger i can express myself mor ein english
Witch is a discarce really lol :P
But i speak arabic with my mate who is arabic, because we have both realised were getting bad.
Reply 38
Vintage <3
OO wow its great to see some people are intrested in arabic
Im arabic & speak arabic although i have lived here all my life i do actually get stuck on some words, So i would say my english is stronger i can express myself mor ein english
Witch is a discarce really lol :P
But i speak arabic with my mate who is arabic, because we have both realised were getting bad.

thats really great that you're being conscientious about keeping your arabic up to scratch!! i always look for people to practise languages with and i think its such a shame when people dont use their skills and consequently have a much lower level than they should. most of the other people i know who are lucky enough to be bilingual dont make the most of it!

anyway, ive had enough of "defective verbs" in arabic, they're rather confusing...
lavalse
thats really great that you're being conscientious about keeping your arabic up to scratch!! i always look for people to practise languages with and i think its such a shame when people dont use their skills and consequently have a much lower level than they should. most of the other people i know who are lucky enough to be bilingual dont make the most of it!

anyway, ive had enough of "defective verbs" in arabic, they're rather confusing...

Lmao i know what u mean ... But i hope ur not giving up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending