The Student Room Group

Gap year then a maths&psychology degree?

I've decided I want to do a joint honours in maths and psychology at uni but I don't know whether a gap year would be a good idea if I want to do maths.
I really want to have a gap year but some people have said it's a bad idea because I may forget a lot of my maths.
Is it better not to have a gap year or is there something I can do in my gap year alongside a bit of travelling and a few months in a ski lodge that would help me to retain my maths skills?
Reply 1
look into the BEST maths programme offered by loughborough university, buy make sure that you talk to the applications tutor for whichever uni's you plan on applying to and make sure they support the idea too.
Reply 2
Thanks for that. =].
Reply 3
Erm, its not that bad, just do some work at the end. You'll find it comes back very fast. I did no maths my entire GAP year, and looked it over quickly a few days before starting uni. I've started, disaster hasnt struck. A lot of uni stuff is brand new, and actually doesn't build on A level. The stuff that does build on A level is staggered, so you have time to revise it while your at university.

Four modules (I guess other universities are similar): Analysis, Algrebra, Stats/Mechanics, and one more which is mostly just further maths in more detail (1401). Analysis is completely new, and so far hasn't included anything you'd know from A level, apart from algebraic manipulation, but you won't forget that. Algebra has included some stuff from A level so far (only matricies, and some people might not of even done them anyway). Stats/Mechanics is taught as if you have no previous knowledge. 1401 has included a lot of A level stuff, but then a lot of A level stuff is being retaught in this module too (albeit much faster).

You have a lot of time to revise your A level stuff, if you make time to do it. I'm in week 4 at the moment, and if I joined the course now I could probably still catch up. Don't worry about it.

Latest