The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
It's not really an either or choice, seeing that Palin isn't running for president, while Obama is.

Oh come come, it is not a completely far fetched notion to envisage that in a few months time McCain will have walked towards the light. One must always plan for the worst :o:
Reply 61
Bismarck
Because it attacks her for her physical characteristics. Men don't get attacked for being ugly, now do they? Just like men don't get attacked for not abandoning their career to take care of their children, while Palin was.

I think that's making a bit much of it. Calling someone ugly isn't sexist and I'm sure plenty of men get attacked for being ugly. McCain's physical appearance is often attacked, for example.

Democracy
Oh come come, it is not a completely far fetched notion to envisage that in a few months time McCain will have walked towards the light. One must always plan for the worst :o:

^This, on the other hand, is a more serious crime IMHO. I can't detect whether you're being a mite facetious or not (apologies if you are) but I think ageism is equally as bad as racism/sexist/homophobia etc. I guess everyone laughs at McCain's age a little, but I don't think it should honestly count against him.

EDIT: Although, he has already had a heart attack before :/
Ascient

^This, on the other hand, is a more serious crime IMHO. I can't detect whether you're being a mite facetious or not (apologies if you are) but I think ageism is equally as bad as racism/sexist/homophobia etc. I guess everyone laughs at McCain's age a little, but I don't think it should honestly count against him.

:wtf?: Sport, I'm so not laughing at him. The fact is that if he is elected at 72 years old he will be the oldest POTUS ever. And let's face it, 72 year olds drop dead every day why should he be any different, considering a history of cardiac problems, factoring in the fact that he has one of the most stressful jobs in the world.

Bismarck
Sure it is. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not probable either. No more probable than Obama getting lung cancer anyway, seeing that he's smoked for 25 years and only stopped year ago.

Well perhaps not, but the likelihood of a 72 year old man with a history of health problems dying in the next five years and a 47 year old man getting lung cancer and dying are very different.

I mean look at Ariel Sharon, he goes into a coma leaving Olmert in charge. I'd rather that doesn't happen with McCain and Palin, Olmert was bad enough.
Reply 63
All this executive work that Palin has done is good but she doesn't seem to have the slightest clue about foreign policy. At least Obama gives the impression that he knows something about foreign policy and how to solve the economy etc whereas Palin doesn't even believe that global warming is man made!

If she could talk confidently about the main issues, then you could make the case that she is more qualified than Obama. At the moment, despite Obama being just as inexperienced as Palin, there is no doubt he would make a better president than her.
Reply 64
Bismarck
Really? I don't recall someone calling Obama or McCain ugly.

Do you mean in this conversation or just generally?

In any case, I think it's a bit much to assume that attacking someone on the basis of their appearance is sexist.

Democracy
:wtf?: Sport, I'm so not laughing at him. The fact is that if he is elected at 72 years old he will be the oldest POTUS ever. And let's face it, 72 year olds drop dead every day why should he be any different, considering a history of cardiac problems, factoring in the fact that he has one of the most stressful jobs in the world.

Touché.
Reply 65
I can see Russia from my house!
Reply 66
i'd be quite scared if she became president.

"relies on the heartbeat of a 72 year old man"

lolz
Birchington
Following on from the Anti Obama Society, does anyone here share my dislike of Sarah Palin?

Dont waste your time.
Once she loses this election, she will vanish into her animal torturing, gun running, swear word filled world.:eek:

She is poor white trash.:no: :no: :no:
Ascient

I don't have anything against McCain's age (still don't like McCain though). But heaven forbid that he is elected then somehow drops dead, leaving Palin as pres.

Bismarck
Her views aside, why is she any less qualified than Obama?

Not sure where Obama stands with international relations but "I can see Russia from my house!" just doesn't cut it with me.
Hasan
whereas Palin doesn't even believe that global warming is man made!

To be fair, it isn't. Although the natural effect is (most likely) magnified by pollution, etc. :p:
Democracy

Well perhaps not, but the likelihood of a 72 year old man with a history of health problems dying in the next five years and a 47 year old man getting lung cancer and dying are very different.

I mean look at Ariel Sharon, he goes into a coma leaving Olmert in charge. I'd rather that doesn't happen with McCain and Palin, Olmert was bad enough.

Ronald Reagan's second term started when he was 74. If we assume McCain is a one term candidate?
Democracy
Or maybe most people have a brain and engaged it to realise she's a complete retard.

I'm not saying she's clever, I'm just saying that most people haven't even tried to get an own impression of her, and just jumps the bandwagon. Same as with Obama
Reply 72
cucumber sandwich
I'm not saying she's clever, I'm just saying that most people haven't even tried to get an own impression of her, and just jumps the bandwagon. Same as with Obama

Don't be so snide, great one who has gone through the effort to know every little detail about the candidates. What a **** attitude to have. Many people have been paying attention to what she has been saying. The fact is - they don't like what they hear. Look at the amount of hits on videos of her being interviewed etc - that's as close as you can get to an impression of her given all the political rallies etc are heavily stage-managed - it's not surprising people don't like her! She's a real case of "only in America...." - she wouldn't move beyond her local council in Europe.

I thought this was a serious response society to another serious society. But peeweedan? come on, the guy could be Bushs' son in law. No need for this society...it should be taken as a given the majority of european students are anti-this-very-crazy-weird-woman. I have to agree with an earlier poster who asked where this notion of being average qualified you to run for high office. It's a terrible world we live in.
RyanT
Don't be so snide, great one who has gone through the effort to know every little detail about the candidates. What a **** attitude to have. Many people have been paying attention to what she has been saying. The fact is - they don't like what they hear. Look at the amount of hits on videos of her being interviewed etc - that's as close as you can get to an impression of her given all the political rallies etc are heavily stage-managed - it's not surprising people don't like her! She's a real case of "only in America...." - she wouldn't move beyond her local council in Europe.

I thought this was a serious response society to another serious society. But peeweedan? come on, the guy could be Bushs' son in law. No need for this society...it should be taken as a given the majority of european students are anti-this-very-crazy-weird-woman. I have to agree with an earlier poster who asked where this notion of being average qualified you to run for high office. It's a terrible world we live in.

Again, please tell me why Obama is more qualified to become PRESIDENT then Palin is to become VICE President
Reply 74
cucumber sandwich
Again, please tell me why Obama is more qualified to become PRESIDENT then Palin is to become VICE President

Foreign policy experience for both.

P.S. Only person qualified to be president is the current president, ditto for vice.

I would also argue that a law professor who was president of the harvard law review has a lot more going for him then a "hockey mum" who took 6 years to complete a 4 year communications degree. Hmm!
RyanT
Foreign policy experience for both.

P.S. Only person qualified to be president is the current president, ditto for vice.

I would also argue that a law professor who was president of the harvard law review has a lot more going for him then a "hockey mum" who took 6 years to complete a 4 year communications degree. Hmm!

whatever you say, she still doesn't have less experience than Bill Clinton had in 92. Mind you.. i don't like her either, I'm just pointing out the facts. I would support a Biden / Obama ticket, but now it's the other way around, which isn't really as good.
PeeWeeDan
Ronald Reagan's second term started when he was 74. If we assume McCain is a one term candidate?

Fine, I meant, 'when elected for the first time' :p:
Reply 77
shes a milf!
Ascient
Why do you make that assumption?

Because, peopele says she's unqualified.. No she's not, she has the equivalent of Obama and Bill Clinton at the time he took office. She has a problem with being good looking. Becasuse of that, people have trouble taking her seriously.
cucumber sandwich
Because, peopele says she's unqualified.. No she's not, she has the equivalent of Obama and Bill Clinton at the time he took office. She has a problem with being good looking. Becasuse of that, people have trouble taking her seriously.

I think that's due to what she says rather than what she looks like.

Latest

Trending

Trending