The Student Room Group

Idiots who think grades below C are a fail

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bacon_Sandwich
Yes...... because performance in GCSE exams are indicative of intelligence....

No but if you cant get a C then there is no hope for you.!!!
Reply 21
If you have common sense and aren't a politically correct indoctrinated pussy, then you will know that anything below a C is as good as a fail from an academic perspective. You may as well throw it straight in the bin for the benefit it will bring you.
rock_ten
in what sense, or by what measure, is he smarter than you?

He knows way more general knowledge than me, he's good at computers and technical things and much better at maths.
Reply 23
coffeym
If you have common sense and aren't a politically correct indoctrinated pussy, then you will know that anything below a C is as good as a fail from an academic perspective. You may as well throw it straight in the bin for the benefit it will bring you.

We know.

Getting Lower Than Grade C in a subject at GCSE shows that you were not good at it, did not like the teacher, or just dint care about it.

But getting lower than a C in All the GCSEs you sit shows you have low intelligence.
lol this thread is just going to cause a huge debate!!!

For my GCSE's I achieved 1 B, 2 C's, 5 D's, and a U... so surely I'm not intelligent??

I wonder if Wollsmoth would care to add his views on this topic :biggrin:
jjkkll
We know.

Getting Lower Than Grade C in a subject at GCSE shows that you were not good at it, did not like the teacher, or just dint care about it.

Yeh the reason I did rubbish in Physics was because I found it boring and confusing. Every other subject at school though (apart from PE which I didn't do a GCSE in) I loved.
Reply 26
IcEmAn911
lol this thread is just going to cause a huge debate!!!

For my GCSE's I achieved 1 B, 2 C's, 5 D's, and a U... so surely I'm not intelligent??

I wonder if Wollsmoth would care to add his views on this topic :biggrin:

you have inteligence as you managed to get Bs and Cs
Reply 27
Smart people wouldn't measure intelligence via GCSE grades.
Reply 28
Good bloke
If someone put anything lower than a GCSE C grade on their CV and it came across my desk I would bin it immediately as belonging to someone who was deluded.

can i ask what type of jobs do you advertise/interview for?
lol, general knowledge. Almost everyone can beat me in some form of quiz game, I suck at general knowledge, but I wouldn't say that makes them smarter than me. Generally it means they watch more t.v. than me. Not that you should judge people by intelligence or grades or anything like that, that really would be a lack of intelligence. People have their own lives, who cares what grades they have.
Reply 30
They might not be a fail, but are still utterly useless. Aiming for less than a C (or even B) is just lazyness IMO.
Rosaaa
I thought F stood for fail.

Nah U does.
Reply 32
Oh come on. Essentially anything below a C is worthless. It doesn't say you're a bad person or a worthless person, but the qualification itself is worthless. It's like going round saying a 3rd class degree isn't technically a fail, sure that's true but in reality it simply is.
Malsi101
My ''mate'' only needed 2 D's to get onto a beauty course she wanted to do

they're not fails, they're just not the best are they, I mean C minimum is acceptable to appreciate i'd say.

Was it Sophie3?
D,E,F and G grades at GCSE being passes is merely a technicality (and one that leads to a somewhat misleading 'pass rate'). 5 A*s to Cs is set as the minimum for entry to A Levels at most sixth forms/college, and universities will often ask for Cs or above in maths, English or another subject. Whilst a D is not complete useless; some programmes (e.g. BTECs) require Ds, it's effectively a fail.
Reply 35
Powersymphonia
Nah U does.

No U obviously doesnt stand for 'Fail'
it stands for unclassified which is a fail
Reply 36
Everyone I know calls anything below a C a fail, even though it's technically not a fail.
Reply 37
Glutamic Acid
D,E,F and G grades at GCSE being passes is merely a technicality (and one that leads to a somewhat misleading 'pass rate'). 5 A*s to Cs is set as the minimum for entry to A Levels at most sixth forms/college, and universities will often ask for Cs or above in maths, English or another subject. Whilst a D is not complete useless; some programmes (e.g. BTECs) require Ds, it's effectively a fail.

Basically, this.
Lol whoever just neg repped me saying "I know you are probably young, but dont be a snob UNTIL you have a job kiddo."

That made me laugh :biggrin:

And I have had a job, and more, and have things lined up for the future - you know nothing about my businesses or employed past/future and therefore cannot make that assumption - fact is you couldn't get into my Sixth form without at least a C in every GCSE, so yes they are a fail because then you can't get into 6th form, and end up at some dodgy college round the corner. But whatever.
This is dumb. You can throw all the technicalities you want at us about D-G being pass grades - that won't make people accept them as such. To whoever said a girl was accepted onto a beauty course with DD: you're either talking about her bra size, or they'd have accepted a cycling proficiency certificate too. There's no way getting two Ds proves anything other than that you went to school with your eyes open. I know no one who's incapable of two Ds at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest