The Student Room Group

MSc Econ at top unis - rate my chances

Hey guys i would appreciate any feedback regarding the likelihood of me being accepted into top masters programmes for MSc Economics.

My A level results were poor, ABB, Law/Econ/Biz, i didnt work in my first year of uni and got 58%. But in year 2 I started working, I got 67.5% and i feel i can def sustain that, and imo i am v capable of getting a first (btw my first yr of uni doesnt count), especially considering Soton BSc Econ is weighted 1/3rd - 2/3rds for years 2 and 3 respectively. Im doing econ single honours at southampton uni. What are my chances of getting MSc Econ offers from LSE/UCL/Warwick/Nottingham (I assume Oxford is out of the question). Im hoping i will be predicted a 1st, but i dunno how they base predictions, obv at A level they are v generous w predictions, i was predicted 3 As, uni may be more 'pessimistic'. Will these unis require a first, will they give me an offer even if they dont think ill make the grade or do they only give offers to those who are obv going to get a first, will my poor background hinder me?

last thing, i have done all econ modules at uni, not one management etc module, i have also done the 'harder' units imo; i think the unis will appreciate this. Maths wise, my grades arent great, but not bad; 70%/63% in year 2.

cheers guys, any help is greatly appreciated. charlie
Reply 1
They don't take account of your A-levels, so they won't matter. Nobody here can adequately assess your chances - it's not like we can give you a percentage or anything. You just need to look at the entry requirements for the course on the uni websites. If you satisfy those requirements, then it is worth applying if you are interested in going there. Nobody can really say any more than that.
Warwick is highly over rated ! Plus i have strong feeling that u will get into Warwick for sure!
Reply 3
charlievb
Hey guys i would appreciate any feedback regarding the likelihood of me being accepted into top masters programmes for MSc Economics.

My A level results were poor, ABB, Law/Econ/Biz, i didnt work in my first year of uni and got 58%. But in year 2 I started working, I got 67.5% and i feel i can def sustain that, and imo i am v capable of getting a first (btw my first yr of uni doesnt count), especially considering Soton BSc Econ is weighted 1/3rd - 2/3rds for years 2 and 3 respectively. Im doing econ single honours at southampton uni. What are my chances of getting MSc Econ offers from LSE/UCL/Warwick/Nottingham (I assume Oxford is out of the question). Im hoping i will be predicted a 1st, but i dunno how they base predictions, obv at A level they are v generous w predictions, i was predicted 3 As, uni may be more 'pessimistic'. Will these unis require a first, will they give me an offer even if they dont think ill make the grade or do they only give offers to those who are obv going to get a first, will my poor background hinder me?

last thing, i have done all econ modules at uni, not one management etc module, i have also done the 'harder' units imo; i think the unis will appreciate this. Maths wise, my grades arent great, but not bad; 70%/63% in year 2.

cheers guys, any help is greatly appreciated. charlie

I expect you to get offers. (Including Warwick). But the big issue is funding:. that I expect you to struggle to get.
What are your post uni ambitions?
Why are you looking to do an msc?

Also check out my post on how well prepared you are for doing an msc in economics at a top uni:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10923238#post10923238

Latest

Trending

Trending