The Student Room Group

University Attendance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Got a reply saying that if I had missed any assessed work (which I didn't) , I would have to fill in a medical form and hand it in, so I guess it is all sorted now.
Reply 21
They never take registers in my lectures o_O Then again, the lecture theatres are always full, and you'd likely fail if you didn't turn up regularly.
Reply 22
Does nobody attend lectures that are not for their course? Signing a registration for a course you do not study might have interesting consequences, computer systems meltdown. I think part of the fun of University was attending non course lectures, I even managed to attend one Chinese lecture as I was friendly with a girl who took the course.

When I attended Edinburgh I never had any form of registration for lectures; however tutorial and seminar attendance was always monitored.
foxo
They're not psychic.

Just say you were ill.

Lecturer's arn't stupid. If a reasonable proportion of the class didn't turn up to a lecture that year after year many people consistantly don't turn up to, the lecture is probably going to realise why.
Do not give the answer word by word of what you said on this forum. Your lecturer might try to google up those words to see if you're lying.. and find out people here and teaching you to lie.
Reply 25
Ewan
They never take registers in my lectures o_O Then again, the lecture theatres are always full, and you'd likely fail if you didn't turn up regularly.

I got 89% in a module that I went to 3/48 lectures for. Sitting and listening to a lecturer write Mathematics does absolutely nothing for you when it comes to sitting down and writing that Mathematics for yourself. Everything your lecturer will tell you will be written down at least a dozen times in books you can get at your library. Hence, I don't bother going to lectures. It completely wound me up the wrong way last year when attendance was registered in my lectures last year, I got warnings for my attendance, which made me feel like I was 16 again(at the ripe old age of 21, that did not please me one bit) luckily they've abolished it this year.
Reply 26
Barny
I got 89% in a module that I went to 3/48 lectures for. Sitting and listening to a lecturer write Mathematics does absolutely nothing for you when it comes to sitting down and writing that Mathematics for yourself. Everything your lecturer will tell you will be written down at least a dozen times in books you can get at your library. Hence, I don't bother going to lectures. It completely wound me up the wrong way last year when attendance was registered in my lectures last year, I got warnings for my attendance, which made me feel like I was 16 again(at the ripe old age of 21, that did not please me one bit) luckily they've abolished it this year.

Ace, so your paying 3000 pounds a year to take an exam, nice! You are right though, but the thing is, if you don't go to lectures you'll only end up making your own notes from textbooks. At university the lecturer will decide whats in the exam, depending on what he teachs. There isn't a textbook that will cover all the topics, so you'd end up using quite a few I would suspect. Expensive, and time consuming. You could rent them, but then what if their not available when you really need them? (exam time for example)

Having lecture notes put onto the net would save you from these problems, but my uni doesn't do it :x
Reply 27
Ewan
Ace, so your paying 3000 pounds a year to take an exam, nice! You are right though, but the thing is, if you don't go to lectures you'll only end up making your own notes from textbooks. At university the lecturer will decide whats in the exam, depending on what he teachs. There isn't a textbook that will cover all the topics, so you'd end up using quite a few I would suspect. Expensive, and time consuming. You could rent them, but then what if their not available when you really need them? (exam time for example)

Having lecture notes put onto the net would save you from these problems, but my uni doesn't do it :x

Indeed, that's exactly what I pay my money for, some examinations and a certificate, and use of the library when it's not crammed at exam time. I use typically 2-3 textbooks per topic and the lecture notes. You can get them from the library for free, and most people don't get the more obscure/old textbooks out even though they're just as good as the recommended ones. Particularly when you have a range of them to consult.
Ewan

Yeah over 3 grand a year for a piece of paper, a few letters at the end of your name and £20,000 worth of debt. University makes a lot of sense doesn't it :rolleyes: And that's if you pass and graduate. If not, it's just £20,000 of debt plus 1095days (1096 if you go during a leap year) of wasted time.

Those exams will get marked by that lecturer and then checked by someone else from the department whoever if you uni is anything like Glamorgan then I would have thought that the lecturer would be putting their notes up on the uni student webpage so you could get away by not going as several people I know did.
Reply 29
Pete_@_the_atrium
then I would have thought that the lecturer would be putting their notes up on the uni student webpage so you could get away by not going as several people I know did.

Unfortunately not :frown:
you are stupid m8
Original post by Ascient
Why would you think a plagiarism lecture isn't important? At most universities, every year there's a couple (at least) cases of plagiarism and it's a serious issue, which could even lead to expulsion.

It's very important, for example, that you know how to reference works properly because a lot of the time when people don't know how to do it, it could end up looking like they had plagiarised and tried to be snide about.

I don't think it was wise missing the lecture, thinking you know it all, but I don't think telling that to your lecturer is going to do you much good either.

you are wrong im afraid its not AT ALL IMPORTANT U STUPID GOODIE GOODIE TWO SHOES

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending