The Student Room Group

Suits and men with long hair

Perhaps most men with long hair don't tend to wear a suit very often, but when they do is it just me or does it always look pretty weird? Try to seperate it from your feelings towards long hair on men in general, if you can.
What are your thoughts? Can it ever look alright for formal occasions, e.g. a wedding/funeral, or business, etc.? Does anyone have any pics (I don't mean of themselves neccessarily).
I'm talking about very long hair, btw, not just touching the collar. Like enough for a pony tail at least.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

No, doesn't look like a gentlemen at all.
it looks daft, but more so with straight long hair. For instance, when I think of Marc Bolan in a suit, I think, that kind of works, doesn't look too bad. But then I think of long, straight, ratty hair (kurt cobain) in a suit, that looks a mess.

Oh and er RIP the pair of them.
Reply 3
a man with long hair is totally unacceptable, and adding a suit just makes him a ****
Reply 4
I think its hot
Reply 5
Mark266
a man with long hair is totally unacceptable, and adding a suit just makes him a ****

Better a man with long hair than a patriarchal, sexist neanderthal.
Reply 6
It looks better than a skinhead in a suit.

At the end of the day, the only reason people wear suits is because of the associated image it puts forward. Long hair contrasts with that image completely, and goes against people's common perception of what a person in a suit should look like. So people think it looks odd.
Reply 7
I personally don't think long hair (i mean shoulders and lower) looks good anyway.. so many other shorter styles can look a lot hotter.

In a suit, erm, well i do like men in suits. :yes: But then again, i have the typical image of a suit with long hair, and it's not great. But if you can pull it off, good for you. :smile:
Trigger
I think its hot

Seconded.

Imagine him wearing a suit! Corrr.
Reply 9
Sometimes long hair looks good on a guy, but rarely. Suits always get me going :o:
The two together, nuh-uh :no: Reminds me of drug dealers.
Reply 10
I think it doesn't look right. Like you said you don't see men with long hair normally wear suits because people with long hai are seen as the artsy/music type, at least to me and putting them in a suit makes it look like they're trying to be something they're not.
Reply 11
I think it works well enough with a dress suit for performance (ie orchestra), but really doesn't work in any other situation. The only option really is to tie it back, which can either look ridiculous or respectably formal. Even with just a shirt and tie, long hair really ruins the formal image as its forever falling forward and making the stark contrasts in the shirt scruffy with random hair.
Reply 12
iGurpreet
I think it doesn't look right. Like you said you don't see men with long hair normally wear suits because people with long hai are seen as the artsy/music type, at least to me and putting them in a suit makes it look like they're trying to be something they're not.

The little boys with short hair, whose only common interests are chasing a pigs bladder and getting bladdered look way more fake. Oddly, they're also more likely to wear one...
Mark266

Erm, why? Just coz u must be so narrow minded it doesnt mean that other people don't think long hair on guys is nice and / or sexy.

Like me, for example. Long hair on guys :love: :yep:

and i think it can look nice in a suit too, as long as the hair is brushed and clean i don't see why it can't look smart :smile:
Reply 14
Trigger
I think its hot

I just had to say that picture on your profile looks like a guy has come over your mouth.

Suits and long hair.... i can not be biased, long hair is ****.
Reply 15
How long are we suggesting here? I mean mine is pretty long by standards, but it only reaches about the level of my chin. I think that looks alright in a suit :smile:
Reply 16
P.S some guys look stupid in suits anyway
Reply 17
layla_1234
I just had to say that picture on your profile looks like a guy has come over your mouth.

Suits and long hair.... i can not be biased, long hair is ****.

:rolleyes: Well DUH
I like men with long hair in suits, looks contrapuntal :biggrin:
Reply 19
Fjarskafinn
Trigger
I think its hot

Seconded.

Imagine him wearing a suit! Corrr.

Thirded. :yep:

Latest