The Student Room Group

Number of AS Levels for medicine

Does doing five AS levels (excluding GS and CT) put you at an advantage for medicine compared with those doing four?

Personal insights from Cambridge medics would be helpful, as Cambridge policy probably SAYS that there is no advantage, just like it says "2 science subjects is enough" but then in practice, doing only 2 sciences puts you at a big disadvantage based on people emailing colleges.

Thanks.
Doing 5 ASs does not put you at an advantage at all.
Reply 2
piece_by_piece
Doing 5 ASs does not put you at an advantage at all.

I don't mean to distrust you, but is that like the "2 sciences is enough" one?

Cos they say that on their website, but I read someone emailed colleges and they said that someone being admitted with only 2 science subjects happened like once every 4 years or something.
DaveJ
I don't mean to distrust you, but is that like the "2 sciences is enough" one?

Cos they say that on their website, but I read someone emailed colleges and they said that someone being admitted with only 2 science subjects happened like once every 4 years or something.

I think only certain colleges ask for 3 sciences to do Medicine. The majority of colleges are happy with 2, but in my experience, people who I know who have applied to Cambridge have had 3 sciences.
Reply 4
piece_by_piece
I think only certain colleges ask for 3 sciences to do Medicine. The majority of colleges are happy with 2, but in my experience, people who I know who have applied to Cambridge have had 3 sciences.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. The website basically contradicts real life. In real life, colleges reply to emails by saying getting in with 2 sciences is INCREDIBLY rare, even the ones who supposedly don't mind only 2.
Reply 5
In no way are you advantaged by doing more than four AS levels, at any medical school. You'd be much better spending your time doing voluntary work and extra curriculars (as well as having a life!) or if you're particularly interested in Cambridge - doing something academic outside of college.
Reply 6
DaveJ
Does doing five AS levels (excluding GS and CT) put you at an advantage for medicine compared with those doing four?

Personal insights from Cambridge medics would be helpful, as Cambridge policy probably SAYS that there is no advantage, just like it says "2 science subjects is enough" but then in practice, doing only 2 sciences puts you at a big disadvantage based on people emailing colleges.

Thanks.

do 4, because you'll want to make sure you can get the highest UMS as possible and your intensity of study is less concentrated across 5 subjects. this makes it harder to get really high As. it puts you in no advantage to take more than 4...
also most cambridge applicants do have 3 sciences...and half of them will have maths on top of that. a friend who applied last year got asked why they didn't take physics as a 4th AS in their interview and was bombarded with tough gcse physics Qs.
Reply 7
You have to think about it from their point of view, someone with 3 sciences will be an advantage, whereas having a 5th AS probably won't.

With medicine a student with Chemistry, Maths and Biology is going to be a good asset, as they have it all, but the 5th AS is unlikely to be worth a lot
Reply 8
You definitely need to have THREE sciences even thoug it says two. However, five AS levels will do jack all compared to someone woth four. If you had like seven or eight or nine ... then you would definitely have a wow factor - but nothing else.
Reply 9
Isometrix
do 4, because you'll want to make sure you can get the highest UMS as possible and your intensity of study is less concentrated across 5 subjects. this makes it harder to get really high As. it puts you in no advantage to take more than 4...
also most cambridge applicants do have 3 sciences...and half of them will have maths as well. a friend who applied last year got asked why they didn't take physics as a 4th AS in their interview and was bombarded with tough gcse physics Qs.

Hmm I'm doing 2 sciences and maths, which should be enough. I know of people who have gotten in with that. I was counting maths as a science.
Are you doing GS and CT as well? If so, try and drop them. They're next to useless.
Reply 11
Piricad
You have to think about it from their point of view, someone with 3 sciences will be an advantage, whereas having a 5th AS probably won't.

With medicine a student with Chemistry, Maths and Biology is going to be a good asset, as they have it all, but the 5th AS is unlikely to be worth a lot

But it may perhaps suggest they can cope with large volumes of work?
Reply 12
DaveJ
Hmm I'm doing 2 sciences and maths, which should be enough. I know of people who have gotten in with that. I was counting maths as a science.

Yeah. Maths is science. Or a more pure science, so it is seperately called mathematical department in Uni's and not associated under a general banner like chemistry and physics.
DaveJ
But it may perhaps suggest they can cope with large volumes of work?

Four AS levels is seen as a large enough volume of work.
I repeat, loud and clear (do you hear me?): you would be much better spending your time on voluntary work, extra curriculars, and not getting stressed out. It would make your application a much more rounded one.
Fair enough, Oxbridge seem to focus more on the academics, but remember you're applying to three others which look for well-roundedness as a top priority.
Reply 14
scaryhair
Four AS levels is seen as a large enough volume of work.
I repeat, loud and clear (do you hear me?): you would be much better spending your time on voluntary work, extra curriculars, and not getting stressed out. It would make your application a much more rounded one.
Fair enough, Oxbridge seem to focus more on the academics, but remember you're applying to three others which look for well-roundedness as a top priority.

I'm doing loads of ECs and some voluntary work already.
DaveJ
I'm doing loads of ECs and some voluntary work already.

Don't stress yourself out then. Yes, you may be some kind of superhuman that can handle 100 A levels and voluntary work and extra curriculars...but you won't be able to handle anything if you burn yourself out.
It's quality over quantity, always.
DaveJ

that's fine, but it will restrict your college choices when applying as there are colleges that want 3 sciences. remember, you may still get 5 A's, but chances are that you'll score much higher UMS by doing 4 (which is far more important), i.e. 280/300+ for 4 is much better than 240/300+ for 5.
Reply 17
Isometrix
that's fine, but it will restrict your college choices when applying as there are colleges that want 3 sciences. remember, you may still get 5 A's, but chances are that you'll score much higher UMS by doing 4 (which is far more important), i.e. 280/300+ for 4 is much better than 240/300+ for 5.

Colleges that want 3 mean 3 from maths, chem, bio, phys. Maths is counted as a science for medicine.
Reply 18
You really don't need 5. Especially if that 5th is Further Maths (was it?) I have 4, as do many many of my friends.

Get 4 high As, get lots of volunteering and work exp, and have a life! Enjoy 6th form! I mean this.

Latest

Trending

Trending