The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Southampton's a perfectly nice city. There are some grotty bits near the Wessex Lane halls, but generally it's ok. Tbh most uni life is party driven but Soton has loads of ways you can make friends and have a nice social life without it being one big club event. Hope that helps.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I think university life everywhere is party driven. It's up to you to go to things which aren't party driven if that's what you want. I do quite fine with the societies I'm in... prior to the end of term pub crawl I can't remember the last time I went out.
Thanks for the info! still can't decide where I'd prefer to go though :frown:
Well, have you visited both places? It makes a big difference - I definitely wouldn't have chosen Southampton had I not actually visited! It's just a feeling kind of thing.
Reply 7224
Anyone care to reply to my thread about living in Southampton?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1964020

:puppyeyes:
Original post by princess.leia
Thanks for the info! still can't decide where I'd prefer to go though :frown:

Defo visit both if you can. That's how most people I know made this choice.
Yeah I've visited both, even went back to Southampton a few times! I didn't see much of Leeds though, quite far so didn't have much time, so I might go back and visit again..
Yeah I've visited both, even went back to Southampton a few times! I didn't see much of Leeds though, quite far so didn't have much time, so I might go back and visit again..

I was in literally the same situation as you, I had exactly the same offer from leeds and soton. In the end I made a list of all the things I wanted from a uni. Soton snuck in by one or two things but I think over all it was the better choice - they're both awesome though!
Ven a southampton!! The languages department is asombroso!! :biggrin:
Yeah I'm making a table of pros and cons for both, modules and city life - i'm even considering the fact southampton has a little portuguese cafe (i'm portuguese and will miss the little cafes in london :P)
At the moment I'm probably more keen on Southampton but Leeds is very tempting.. will let y'all know of my decision! and thanks for the advice!!
Reply 7230
Is anyone else struggling with their soton email account? I can't click on any e-mails or anything, everytime I go on it it's just frozen :s-smilie:
Mine's fine, sent a load of IM team sheets off this morning. :dontknow:
Mine's fine too, it's probably just your computer.
Reply 7233
It's so annoying, I sent an e-mail a few weeks back regarding coursework and I can't finish it until I get the reply from the lecturer :colonhash:
Reply 7234
Just checked on my sister's laptop and it isn't working properly on that either :frown:
Reply 7235
If you have that problem, go to the outlook page rather than the sussed email page.. That's how you do it at reception - if you go straight in via sussed, then it's always frozen
Reply 7236
Original post by cloop
If you have that problem, go to the outlook page rather than the sussed email page.. That's how you do it at reception - if you go straight in via sussed, then it's always frozen

GENIUS!!

I've never had to do that before though, hopefully it isn't a regular thing for me.
Reply 7237
Original post by Deshi
GENIUS!!

I've never had to do that before though, hopefully it isn't a regular thing for me.

Yay, glad it worked :smile:
Heyy, sorry for butting in :tongue: I'm hoping to study portuguese and spanish either at southampton or leeds and was wondering if you could tell me more about life at southampton? Some people I talk to seem to think soutampton city is 'grotty',though I've seen it a few times and it seems alright!? Leeds is a biggger city and all but I worry its too party driven as a whole..

I had the same choice, took me weeks to decide which to put as my firm, Soton or Leeds! Glad with my decision though :smile: Leeds is so big, which has its advantages, but Southampton has everything you would need without being too big, and the campus is lovely (have you seen Avenue campus? I slightly fell in love with it when I visited 2 and a half years ago, its resources are very geared up for languages, plus it's like we have our own little community, you rarely walk down a corridor and not see someone you know).
That's what makes Leeds so tempting. I just worry it'd be more of an experience there because it's a big city, but people keep telling me any uni city/town is going to have all you need anyway, like you say, so I guess it's time I just stop worrying I'll regret my decision :P
and yeah i loved the difference between the modern science buildings of Highfield and the cute traditional one at avenue! thanks for the advice and all :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending