The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7280
I honestly have a hard time believing Portswood was ever a nice place to live :tongue:
But hey, rather Portswood than St Marys...
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Portswood's ok... it's definitely worse in the last few years though.
I've made Southampton my firm now and I'll be studying Fashion & Textiles Design at the Winchester School of Art, my dilemma is that I'm not sure where to stay in Halls. Southampton halls sound A LOT more exciting than Winchester but then again Winchester would be easier to get to and from uni. I really don't want a dead-end social life and to be honest I can't see myself getting a 1hr bus to Southampton for either a night out or Freshers. Help!
Original post by jonnythemoose
This place is going to pot! I swear in 2nd year it was quite a nice place to live...

I swear even last year stuff like this didn't really happen, then again as my housemate pointed out we were in a little halls bubble last year, oblivious to the nasty world outside monte, uni and jesters.
Original post by angelafusco
I've made Southampton my firm now and I'll be studying Fashion & Textiles Design at the Winchester School of Art, my dilemma is that I'm not sure where to stay in Halls. Southampton halls sound A LOT more exciting than Winchester but then again Winchester would be easier to get to and from uni. I really don't want a dead-end social life and to be honest I can't see myself getting a 1hr bus to Southampton for either a night out or Freshers. Help!

Do you know your contact hours roughly? If you're only in a couple of days a week it would probs be worth living in Southampton and getting the bus (the train is pretty regular too), otherwise I'd go for Winchester.
Reply 7285

I know someone in Monte at WSA, and she says the journey isn't too bad. Having gone past Winchester myself on the train many times, it doesn't take that long and uni will pay for it.
Don't apply to Glen Eyre though, otherwise you may as well double your journey time.
Yeah, if you do commute, make sure you stay at Wessex Lane, because the bus to Airport parkway train station goes right past there, and from there there are regular trains to Winchester. Staying in any other halls of residence would make it longer and less convenient to get to the train station.
You could stay in Archers Road and go to central... it's probably about the same convenience as being in Monte.
Bus stop is probably more convenient though for Monte
Yeah, a little bit more so, I reckon a 5 min walk to the one on the avenue from archers.
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
Do you know your contact hours roughly? If you're only in a couple of days a week it would probs be worth living in Southampton and getting the bus (the train is pretty regular too), otherwise I'd go for Winchester.

Firstly, thank you SOOOO much everyone! this has been so helpful! I wouldn't have had a single clue which halls were most convenient so cheer :smile:

Also how do I find out my contact hours? I feel quite naive at this stage haha
Reply 7291
Firstly, thank you SOOOO much everyone! this has been so helpful! I wouldn't have had a single clue which halls were most convenient so cheer :smile:

You wouldn't really. I guess your best bet would be to call your department and ask them how many days on average students would have classes. They should be able to give you a rough idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff is spread over 4/5 days though. I guess it's down to you how much you're willing to travel. I can definitely see that it's easier traveling to lectures rather than traveling to Southampton for nights out, you'd probably just go out in Winchester if that's where you lived.
Although Archers is so much closer to the city centre you'd have to battle with the traffic through the city centre on the bus every morning or walk 20 mins to the station, so monte's probs the best option as the trains run through airport anyway.

Yeah like Alibee said the best way would be to simply ring up and ask, though check the course description and any other course info you can find online if the first idea doesn't work: often you can find module descriptions which stipulate how many contact hours there are for the module, add them up roughly and you've got a rough idea of how many hours/days you might be in Winchester.
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll ring up and see if I can find out what my contact hours are but to be honest with my subject its more of a case of being in both lectures, seminars and studio time so I'm imagining a lot of hours at the moment.

Original post by tooosh
I know someone in Monte at WSA, and she says the journey isn't too bad. Having gone past Winchester myself on the train many times, it doesn't take that long and uni will pay for it.
Don't apply to Glen Eyre though, otherwise you may as well double your journey time.

But I was just wondering, your friend thats in Monte at WSA, how do they find it? Are they glad they decided to live in Southampton?

I think I definitely am swaying towards Southampton, I really don't mind travelling at all and getting home to London during breaks would be so much easier from Airport Parkways, plus Its generally easier to commute to places like Portsmouth etc rather that Winchester.
Reply 7294
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll ring up and see if I can find out what my contact hours are but to be honest with my subject its more of a case of being in both lectures, seminars and studio time so I'm imagining a lot of hours at the moment.

But I was just wondering, your friend thats in Monte at WSA, how do they find it? Are they glad they decided to live in Southampton?

I think I definitely am swaying towards Southampton, I really don't mind travelling at all and getting home to London during breaks would be so much easier from Airport Parkways, plus Its generally easier to commute to places like Portsmouth etc rather that Winchester.

Going to London doesn't matter since Southampton-London trains run through Winchester anyway, as for Portsmouth you can change at Eastleigh so it isn't that big a factor. But she definitely prefers the social side at Southampton.
Anyone know what week in August referrals are held?
Thanks everyone for all the info, I've decided to go for Monte 3, it'll take me 30 odd minutes to get to WSA. I was wondering how to apply to get my travels paid for though?
Thanks everyone for all the info, I've decided to go for Monte 3, it'll take me 30 odd minutes to get to WSA. I was wondering how to apply to get my travels paid for though?

First year you get a bus pass with your student ID so you won't have to pay for buses. Beyond that I don't know if you can get any help.
Reply 7298
Original post by chrislpp
Anyone know what week in August referrals are held?

The term dates sheet I have on my wall says 20th-30th August.
Do we have lectures on Monday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending