The Student Room Group

Grammar schools

What are your views on these?

Personally (coming from one) I fail to see why they are regarded so poorly by some people, who accuse them of being elitist and not giving everyone a fair chance. But heres my argument - in a town where there is a grammar and a comp, all students will benefit, because they are being taught at a speed and level that suits them. At the grammar school, the pupils can work faster and without anyone to pull the class back. Meanwhile, in the comp the pupils will not be forced on through a subject to meet the needs of the top of the set, and so can learn things in there own time. But thats just what I think. Let the discussion begin :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, cool.
Grammars are fine but comps ain't terrible or anything.
Reply 3
Tbh, I go to a grammar school and half the people are dumb as ****.
Reply 4
For grammars
Oh no.....
*ducks*
Reply 6
They aren't even particularly academically elitist, as far as I can tell. I went to one, and many people I know came out of their GCSEs and A-levels with Bs and Cs. You got a somewhat higher proportion of A-students and very, very few D-to-U-students, but the majority were just getting average grades and going off to average universities.
Reply 7
Grammar Schools 4eva

People of superior intelligence (grammar schools) OR wealth (public/private schools) have the right to superior education.
Well I guess because I am not on mainland Uk my opinion will be less valid but I will give my 2 cent anyway.

I am from Northern Ireland, the proportion of grammar schools to second schools is crazy. Our system is by which you do an 11+, get A, B1, B2, C1, C2, D and the A's generally go to Grammar school. Many Grammar schools where I live require no fees so as long as you are smart you can get in hence no poverty divide.

However when I went to an university interview at Strathclyde, they were enamoured merely because I went to a grammar school - that amused me. Others in my year have experienced similar things at university interviews on the mainland.

Oh, note that N. Ireland got higher percentage of A's than mainland UK in A-levels and there is greater ratio of Grammar School : Secondary Schools here.
AWZC
What are your views on these?

Personally (coming from one) I fail to see why they are regarded so poorly by some people, who accuse them of being elitist and not giving everyone a fair chance. But heres my argument - in a town where there is a grammar and a comp, all students will benefit, because they are being taught at a speed and level that suits them. At the grammar school, the pupils can work faster and without anyone to pull the class back. Meanwhile, in the comp the pupils will not be forced on through a subject to meet the needs of the top of the set, and so can learn things in there own time. But thats just what I think. Let the discussion begin :yep:

I was going to do my AS at a grammar after applying and failing the tests but getting a place afterwards cos of grades but I left after spending a day becuase of the fact that it wasnt how I would learn best,
they do give everyone a fair chance, we all got the same test but the fact is I wasnt good enough at the time
Reply 10
cke_xx
Tbh, I go to a grammar school and half the people are dumb as ****.

I'll say 75% are dmub, including myself
Reply 11
I approve of the grammar school system and I'm from a state school.

The upset caused by grammar schools is mainly due to people thinking its unfair for some people to get different opportunities to others.

I'm always amused at where grammar schools manage to get to. This summer, I was in Zakopane (in the mountains between Poland and Slovakia, ie. miles away) and there was a Torquay Boys Grammar minibus. As if they drove for a week solid to get there... I recall seeing another one in the middle of Spain as well. Grammar school people clearly have something against flying :tongue:, or perhaps they just want to show off their impressive coats of arms on their buses.
not much of a difference really people get As and A*s but loads get Bs and Cs same with comp albeit a higher proportion of the former but not much
but of course some grammars get better grades than others
Reply 13
grammar schools ftw
Reply 14
I'm a Grammar educated student, and while it is quite obvious that the middle class are more likely to get a spot in one, this is a trend across the entire educational system that working class kids due to circumstances do not do as well in education so it's not something we can just accuse grammars of. Theres also no way you can accuse Grammars of solely accommodating middle class kids, there truly is a broad spectrum of girls in mine from all different backgrounds.

On the whole I think Grammars are a positive input in the education system and it's a shame both the labour and now the conservatives want to phase them out.
aKarma
I approve of the grammar school system and I'm from a state school.

The upset caused by grammar schools is mainly due to people thinking its unfair for some people to get different opportunities to others.

I'm always amused at where grammar schools manage to get to. This summer, I was in Zakopane (in the mountains between Poland and Slovakia, ie. miles away) and there was a Torquay Boys Grammar minibus. As if they drove for a week solid to get there... I recall seeing another one in the middle of Spain as well. Grammar school people clearly have something against flying :tongue:, or perhaps they just want to show off their impressive coats of arms on their buses.

yeah your right and their particularly formal attire
and thanks for the Physics help from before:cool: :smile:
Reply 16
I swear the differences in standards and purpose of grammar schools is diminishing?

Grammar schools were supposed to be for the "clever" ones but now you can go to a comp and come out with equally good results or even better results.

Case in point: me. I go to a comp and have come out with pretty nice grades for GCSEs.

However, I do understand not every situation is the same but my personal experience has shown me otherwise.
There're no grammar schools in my town, just two equally **** high schools.

Well, I like to think mine is slightly better, but really they both are bad. Bad.
the 'prestige' attatched to them also has an effect
Espada
More often than not, grammar schools will offer a much wider variety of GCSE and A-level courses than those of state schools.

Thus, grammar schools rock :smile:

Most people who get into grammar schools are filthy rich though...

That's not true.

Latest

Trending

Trending