The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
n_251
I swear the differences in standards and purpose of grammar schools is diminishing?

Grammar schools were supposed to be for the "clever" ones but now you can go to a comp and come out with equally good results or even better results.

Case in point: me. I go to a comp and have come out with pretty nice grades for GCSEs.

However, I do understand not every situation is the same but my personal experience has shown me otherwise.

Yeah I do agree there - grammar school people aren't all clever and comp peopl aren't all dumb. I'd be arrogant and naive to think that. Its what you make of your situation that matters. Nonetheless, at my grammar school (http://www.kings.lincs.sch.uk/page_viewer.asp?page=Home&pid=1) my year got a 98% A*-C rate at GCSE and something like 40% of all A levels were A's :yep: But I totally see your point and I'm sure that there are some rubbish grammar schools and some great comps.
Reply 21
Espada

Most people who get into grammar schools are filthy rich though...

Wrong.
Espada
More often than not, grammar schools will offer a much wider variety of GCSE and A-level courses than those of state schools.
Thus, grammar schools rock :smile:

Seriously?
Mine only offers the basics - no Law, no Psychology, Economics only at AS/A2, Business Studies at GCSE only, no Media etc etc.
We don't offer many at AS/A2 at all - only one technology, for example. I'd say we offer far less courses - but then, being skint, maybe we're the exception.

And your last sentence is wrong. Not even generalised, wrong.
Surely if someone was filthy rich they'd go to a private school?
Reply 23
Espada

No they're in private schools
Reply 24
Espada
More often than not, grammar schools will offer a much wider variety of GCSE and A-level courses than those of state schools.

Thus, grammar schools rock :smile:

Lolwut? Grammar schools don't cost money - at least mine didn't.
I went to a grammar school. It was a good environment, but they never pushed you which was really annoying, so I basically never tried (I have nooo self discipline :P) and that meant I didn't do well in my GCSE's.. which means that unis will look at me and go "she got no a*s and she went to a grammar school!" :/ grr.

and my school hardly offers anything... ermm. the "softer" ones are sports science, english language and.. is sports science a soft one? the pe teacher wrote the syllabus, so... :P.

it offers: biology, chemistry, (which 3/4 of the year take), physics, maths, furthur maths, latin, music, english lit, english lang, psycology, philosophy, french, german, spanish, history, geography, re, sport science.. that's it i think..

oh and does chinese/japanese for any native speaker of there.. they don't do any lessons, just sit the exam..
n_251
Case in point: me. I go to a comp and have come out with pretty nice grades for GCSEs.

Because you live in London and had you lived in Bucks or Kent you would have gone to a grammar??
I go to a Grammar school and some people are complete fishes ¬¬

But I do think they're more beneficial to more students than comps [though obviously not all]
i love the 'grammar schools are full of the middle class' argument

not surprising when 50-60 of them are found in kent and buckinghamshire, hardly beacons of lower class are they?
Reply 29
billydisco
Because you live in London and had you lived in Bucks or Kent you would have gone to a grammar??

What?! Such a flawed argument. I think you will find that two of the country's top grammars are quite close to my school.

btw, you really seem to have a dislike for Bucks and Kent...why?
n_251
What?! Such a flawed argument. I think you will find that two of the country's top grammars are quite close to my school.

btw, you really seem to have a dislike for Bucks and Kent...why?

No im just saying you werent thick, went to a comp and suddenly popped out with As and A*s. You would have probably taken the 11+ and passed it, or did you not?

Not at all, but when people moan saying grammar schools are full of middle class what do they expect when labour councils closed them and conversative councils kept them?
deja vu deja vu deja vu

my, what an old thread

Latest

Trending

Trending