The Student Room Group
AFAIK, between about 8 applications per place for the less popular or larger intake courses (Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham) to 20 for Manchester.
i got my offer from Manchester today (:
Reply 3
Really, already!! What grades and for which course?
Reply 4
Oh and by the way, what does AFAIK mean.. sorry if it's really obvious! :smile:
f.burton
Oh and by the way, what does AFAIK mean.. sorry if it's really obvious! :smile:

Not at all - As Far As I Know :smile:
f.burton
Really, already!! What grades and for which course?

the offer was AAB for Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
I got the same offer from the University of York yesterday as well :biggrin:
Reply 7
Wow, congrats :smile: Which is your top choice at the moment? Haven't even sent my application off yet, sorting out a dodgy reference, how long does it take to process once you have applied online?
f.burton
Wow, congrats :smile: Which is your top choice at the moment? Haven't even sent my application off yet, sorting out a dodgy reference, how long does it take to process once you have applied online?

the process is really quick once you've sent it off,
i got confirmation emails the next day so it's pretty speedy (:
my top choice is Oxford, but i havn't heard back from them yet-
pretty sure i'll get an interview though if two have accepted me.

what course&universities are you applying for?
x
Reply 9
My form tutor has said that once I apply online she has to attatch references etc, and then it goes off to some sort of administrative person at school.. just thought it might take a couple of weeks after the stage of paying online for ucas/universities to acknowledge your application?

Good luck for Oxford, like you said having two offers already and from prestigious universities it's looking good for an interview! :smile:

I'm applying for a mixture of Politics courses that vary slightly, mainly internationally focused. At the moment I'm thinking Manchester, Leicester, Aston, Liverpool and Nottingham.. Notts is only BBB for European politics (I'm predicted ABB), but I'm not sure whether it is worth the risk as I've heard it's very very competitive to get a place there. What do you reckon?:smile:
Ah, well I guess it depends how fast your school is at typing the reference. I go to a pretty bog-standard state school and we manage to get the references etc typed up usually within a day of pushing the "send to referee" button-
so with enough nagging of your form tutor I'm sure you'll be able to get it sent pretty quickly (:
and once it's sent they acknowledge it almost straight away, I was quite impressed with it all tbh.

and thanks (: eugh i'm just pretty gutted as the Oxford test is two days after my 18th birthday!
which means my hangover can't be that bad aha.

well, as you have really good predicted grades (ABB) and it's above the standard offer- I'd definately give Notts a go!
definately apply to Manchester as well, as they got back to me really quickly (:
x
Reply 11
My predicted grades are ABB not AAB silly! :smile: But yeah, not sure at the moment.. kind of thinking a less risky choice is probably better considering I'm about 99% sure I will never get into Notts with ABB!!

I am so impatient, I just want to start getting offers/rejections. Enough with the whole ucas thing already! I can't wait to move out of my town and into a big city! :smile:

Did you feel your personal statement was strong? My geography reference was shocking but I'm hoping my form tutor can sort it out for me. I usually do fairly well in exams, but if I'm honest I put very little effort in, relative to what I'm capable of, my social life has really seemed to get in the way the last couple of years. My punctuality and (sometimes) my attendance aren't exactly great.. Do you have any idea if anything like punctuality is referred to in any part of the ucas application? I guess you wouldn't know much about this as I'm sure an Oxford candidate such as yourself is an all round perfect student :tongue:
aha, i did edit my post as soon as i noticed i'd got your predicted grades wrong actually (:
but narr, if your predicted grades are above the minimum offer then it's definately worth applying! even though i am the kind that would rather take a risk than play safe, so it depends on what you're like a bit as well i guess.

i know yeah i'm the same, i cannot wait to get out into a city and start the whole insane city life thing.
that's the thing i'm worrying about with oxford, i don't want the hard work getting in the way of my social life :/
butt i'm sure i can balance it, ive been doing alright so far anyway aha (:

and yeah i think my personal statement was pretty good- after my tutor ripped my first two drafts to pieces,
so narr i'm good, but not quite the all round perfect Oxford candidate :P
& attendence isn't mentioned anywhere unless your teacher/tutors put it in your reference, which they shouldn't do unless they're particularly harsh.
you can message me your personal statement if you want me to have a look through it? i'm in a nice mood and pretty bored aha.
x
Matt_Triggs_(:
the offer was AAB for Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
I got the same offer from the University of York yesterday as well :biggrin:

You're so lucky guys! These posts really make me feel like "first come, first serve" actually takes place :frown: Oh well, hope my app will be sent soon, unfortunately we're having school holidays at the moment and the co-ordinator can't send off my app until next week :frown: damn it...

Latest