The Student Room Group

Help Me With My Choices!

Ok so I am going to be sending my UCAS application off soon, to apply for September 2009 universities in the U.K (I live in Australia atm, so I am counted as an international student I guess)

Anyway, I need some help selecting my top choices for universities, and as I am unable to get to the U.K until January I will be unable to see the universities and cities before applying.

I am applying to:
Leeds Metropolitan
Bristol UWE
Leicester University
Hull University
Keele University (already given me an offer)
Kingston (I hear this is a 'dead' university, poor student union etc...any input on this?)
Kent University

(Obviously I can only select 5, but these are the ones I think I will be choosing from) - Oh, an I am studying International Relations if that makes any difference.

I am looking for preferably a campus university, or at least a university which is very social + has a good student union, so it is easier to meet people etc.
I also want to be situated in, or nearby cities with good nightlife (clubs)/shopping, because I don't really want to have to travel to a different city all the time to enjoy my nights out...

Um, I guess that is pretty much all I am looking for with my choices, I have looked at the prospectus' for the course I want to do and it sounds good for most of them.

So, any advice!
Reply 1
Considering changing Leeds Met to Leeds University, but unsure as to whether I will get an offer :frown:
Reply 2
Having done some research on this particular course, maybe you could switch Kingston with Queen Mary University London???!
Reply 3
xoxoo
Having done some research on this particular course, maybe you could switch Kingston with Queen Mary University London???!

I have never actually heard of this university, but I shall look into it.

Is it a well known/rated university?
Reply 4
JDon
I have never actually heard of this university, but I shall look into it.

Is it a well known/rated university?

1. It's part of the University of London, so this is an added bonus for resources and such.
2. The politics department seems to be top notch.
3. It is ranked 42 on the times league tables and 162th worldwide.
4. I've heard that the social scene is pretty good.

Seems like a good choice.:biggrin:
You could check its subforum here ----->http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=121
Reply 5
check out www.unionview.com, it's excellent

kingston uni is near where i live, kingston is on the edge of london so not a uni town at all, there's an oceana etc. but personally i wouldn't think it's great for student life!
Reply 6
Haha, interesting. I shall get a prospectus sent out to me :smile:
I read that white people are the minority there tho? and also it is in a dodgy part of London? Correct me if I am wrong...

So, back on topic, any opinion on the rest of the universities I listed?

:s-smilie:
Reply 7
JDon
Haha, interesting. I shall get a prospectus sent out to me :smile:
I read that white people are the minority there tho? and also it is in a dodgy part of London? Correct me if I am wrong...

So, back on topic, any opinion on the rest of the universities I listed?

:s-smilie:

Oh yeah, thats true:o:
Sorry I cant give you an opinion on the rest because Ive only been researching universities in the London area.
Reply 8
kingston's practically in surrey, so it's not dodgy, it's just that it's not in central london like LSE or KCL so you don't get that atmosphere, but because it's so close to london you don't get a big campus or student town feel like you do at keele or anywhere...
Kent is literally at the top of Canterbury, so you've not only got the on campus bars/clubs but also the clubs in town (which, admitedly I haven't been to yet, so can't comment on really). On campus you've got 6 (?) bars/clubs, which includes The Venue - The main club. They do lots of different nights; as do the bars (one has an indie night, there's a hip-hop/RnB night, a pop night) and there's always *something* going on.

Canterbury is quite a small little city, it's really pretty and quite touristy - Lots of french/german/italians in the centre. Lots of international students as well; we seem to have a lot of french people here. Presumably because it's so close to Dover.
Reply 10
I dont know anything about International Relations at each uni but out of those I would put as my top few unis (based on reputation):

Leicester, Kent, Leeds if you can change it from Leeds Met.

I would also look to change Kingston to Queen Mary.

Just my thoughts of course!
JDon
I read that white people are the minority there tho?

..So?
fake plastic love
..So?

I was thinking that
JDon
Considering changing Leeds Met to Leeds University, but unsure as to whether I will get an offer :frown:

Oh God, please don't apply to Leeds Met!! Apply to Leeds, much better uni.
Reply 14
fake plastic love
..So?

Just asking the question, no problem with it.
Leicester is one of my favourite cities in the UK, it's got a really good atmosphere. I can't really describe it though.

Latest

Trending

Trending