The Student Room Group

A-Levels help

Hey,

I'm in Year 11 and making the transition from Secondary to HE, but I'm having difficulty choosing my A-levels.
I've already decided to take the three sciences (Chemistry, Biology & Physics) but I'm having problems with the other two (if I choose to take 5, which is most likely)

I would love to take Medicine in university, but what A-levels would help me in achieving this? I've heard that maths is a reliable option, yet although I'm good at it, I absolutely hate the subject, and don't think I could stand doing it again.
Also, I've heard that when selecting applicants for Medicine, universities like it when a student has at least one academic subject that is purely art or humanities based, such as English Literature. Or, perhaps instead of maths, I could take Psycology?

I'm so confused...
:frown:

NOTE: Oh, sorry for misleading everyone, but I meant take 5 A-levels and then drop 2 at AS level :smile: Guess I didn't make that clear...
Reply 1
Psychology would be a good one. Maths isn't really an advantage as you're taking physics.

Be aware that you want to ideally get straight As at AS. I'm not saying that you have to, but you want the best possible chance. Maybe just take the 4 AS levels, and drop physics and take the other 3 to A level. Medicine isn't like any other courses. You want to do exceptionally well in your necessary subjects (i.e biology and chemistry) and have as much extra curricular stuff as possible. Taking an extra A level when it may interfere with your extra curriculars would not be a good thing. If you think you can take extra subjects without spending significantly more time studying though, do it.
Reply 2
Don't take Maths if you don't like it. You need to choose something you do like so your motivated to succeed. If there is an arts subject you enjoy then take it. I wouldn't really reccomend five, it would be a lot of work, and unecessary. I wouldn't say its Extra Curriculars that matter so much for medicine, more relevant work experience in a surgery or hospital. EC's are only a strong point if they are relevant. E.g. if you did a first aid course or something like that.
I also agree with everyone else - five is unnecessary extra work! You could use the time you're doing an extra subject to do work experience for medicine etc.

Latest