The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Akkuz
That damages the handbrake in the long-term. :biggrin:

The rest of the car will have fallen to bit by the time the ratchet in the handbrake is damaged anywhere near enough to make a difference.
Reply 21
ive never been told to press the button to pull it up, only putting i down. i can think of anyone i know who pushed it to pull up
Reply 22
spikeymike
This probably sounds like an angry rant... :p:

I'm not sure what you've been told but i was told when pulling up the handbrake you press the button at the end of it then pull it up.

Often i hear people just yanking it up. It ***** the handbrake up!

It doesn't.
Reply 23
If I don't use the release thingummy on mine, I can't put the handbrake on :biggrin:

And yeah, I really hate the noise it makes when people don't use their button, but I'm not so sure it does that much damage.
Reply 24
[QUOTE=:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]ive never been told to press the button to pull it up, only putting i down. i can think of anyone i know who pushed it to pull up

But don't you notice the HIDEOUS noise?!

It doesn't make any difference, but you might as well. It's not as if it takes any more time or any more effort. It's just good for your ears.
Reply 25
beesbees
But don't you notice the HIDEOUS noise?!

It doesn't make any difference, but you might as well. It's not as if it takes any more time or any more effort. It's just good for your ears.

i have never thought about it the noise isnt THAT bad and only lasts a fedw seconds.
i think i just pull it up, n i believe i always have, but i dont know
when i drive i play with the button because can hear the sping click pisses everyone off lol
x

edit: actually i think i press the button in but then pull it up another so it clicks i like to hear the click then iknow its on...
Reply 27
As others have said, it doesnt really do any damage (not thats going to be noticed in the time that the car survives!) but i is still good habit to press the button.

Our students union owns some Merc Vito people carriers which have a foot control to apply the handbrake (yes - logical i know:s-smilie:!) so you always hear the ratchet sound on that (then get clouted round the ankle when you pull teh release handle and the pedal shoots up!)
Reply 28
[QUOTE=:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]i have never thought about it the noise isnt THAT bad and only lasts a fedw seconds.

I guess so, it's just me being petty, but it does annoy me :p: :biggrin:
fungixsai
i can't pull it up or push it down either way. im a weakling- my mum or driving instructor has to do it - its so hard it won't move no matter how hard i try

u must be in severe difficulty in doing simple things then
Reply 30
It doesn't matter. OP, you're a tool.
Reply 31
I've never seen anyone do it without the button! I'm scared of the noise now. :s-smilie:
Reply 32
spikeymike
If your instructor didn't tell you to use the button... what else is it used for then?

To release it.

The sound doesn't bother me though.
I was told to use the button to avoid excessive wear, but it's clearly designed so you can do it without the button or you wouldn't be able to pull it up without pressing the button.

I use the button though, my handbrake lever seems a bit loose and it tends to go too far up if you pull it up without the button for some reason. Not a nice noise either.
Reply 34
my handbrakes knackered anyway, it makes the same noise whether i use the button or not :frown:
It's not even a bad noise. Women.
It isn't a bad noise.

It doesn't damage the handbrake.

Ed.
Well, I confess to doing that sometimes, but the handbrake is rarely used, so it isn't a huge issue.

riiight ? ok ! i you wish to hold that erroneous belief...
I can't pull it up without pushing the button anyway :s-smilie:
Speedbird2008
It isn't a bad noise.

It doesn't damage the handbrake.

incorrect on both counts, i hope you have little more mechanicla sympathy with other parts of the vehicle

Latest