The Student Room Group

Corsets - Girlfriend - Questions!

My gf is well into wearing corsets (has been for bout 6 mnths now) but i'm startin to get concerned that she's wearin them too tight. The last corset she bought a couple of weeks ago is worryin me, as it seems like its a big thing with her to get it closed completely.

Hav looked at other threads on here bout corsets, but I just wanna see if any other girls are into corsets, and what they think of them, etc. I mean proper boned corsets wiv laces.

If you wear a corset, wot size corset do you have compared to your waist size? Do you find it uncomfortable? How long can you wear it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you wear a corset four inches smaller then your waist.
Reply 2
Trigger
I think you wear a corset four inches smaller then your waist.

This is where i'm coming from. She is tryin to wear them smaller than that. She is quite a slim girl but the lastest one is an 18" corset.
18" :O

goodness. got to cause some breathing problems..? =/

i suppose it depends how she slim she is. and why shes into them? for dita von teese-type reasons?
I have a 26" natural waist, and my corset (steel boned) is 22". If I tighten it gradually, I can do it up almost all the way. It depends on how big you are to begin with - if a girl has a lot of body fat, then it is easy for her to wear a corset a lot smaller than her waist because it just moves all the fat about. But for girls with very little fat, then it is more difficult to reduce waist size more than a couple of inches because it becomes your actual internal organs or ribcage that is being compressed. However, amazing things can be done, with not a lot of health problems, if you are persistent and only try to decrease your waist size very gradually. I have read that the main problems you can have, and this is if you wear a corset all day every day, are weakening of your lower body muscles, and also constipation due to the bowels being compressed. I doubt that your girlfriend is wearing her corset all the time though, so she ought to be fine.

Edited to add: 18"? crikey! what is her natural waist size?
Reply 5
The Strangest Quark
I have a 26" natural waist, and my corset (steel boned) is 22". If I tighten it gradually, I can do it up almost all the way. It depends on how big you are to begin with - if a girl has a lot of body fat, then it is easy for her to wear a corset a lot smaller than her waist because it just moves all the fat about. But for girls with very little fat, then it is more difficult to reduce waist size more than a couple of inches because it becomes your actual internal organs or ribcage that is being compressed. However, amazing things can be done, with not a lot of health problems, if you are persistent and only try to decrease your waist size very gradually. I have read that the main problems you can have, and this is if you wear a corset all day every day, are weakening of your lower body muscles, and also constipation due to the bowels being compressed. I doubt that your girlfriend is wearing her corset all the time though, so she ought to be fine.

Edited to add: 18"? crikey! what is her natural waist size?

Her natural waist is 24" to 25". She doesn't wear them all the time - though she does seem to be wearin them more now than she used to. She started with a 22" corset which she managed to close after about 4 weeks of wearing it on and off. Then I bought her a 20" one which she can also wear closed. Then a couple of weeks ago she got this 18" one which she can't close.
Reply 6
If she's comfortable then it's ok.
She's not killing herself if she can get her waist down to 18" when corsetted, it just she's squishable. Once people have experienced the 4", their waists by them may have gone down a little bit and it might not be as 'tight' for lack of a better word. I know loads of people who have more than 4" reductions. The 4" rule is for people who aren't really into corsets or who are first trying it out because it's most comfortable for them. I have one corset that gives a 4" reduction, and another one in the same style that gives a 6" reduction.

You never know, she might be waist training..but I kinda doubt it from what you've described.
It does sound like she's going a bit fast with it. Also, when you get into the realms of very small corsets, it goes from fashion to actual body-modification, which needs to be considered. And for extreme waist reduction, it is really important that the corset is properly fitted so it doesn't squash your innards in the wrong way, or just become incredibly uncomfortable. My corset is a pretty cheap off-the-peg one (I'm a poor student), but if I was going for serious tightlacing I would definitely save up and get one made to measure. I think you should definitely have a talk to her about it, and find out how she feels about this, and how far she wants to go with it. I'm sure there is a lot of excellent information on the internet on this kind of thing, to make sure she isn't doing anything that might be harmful.
Reply 8
6" inches isn't body modification, just because it goes down to an 18". If she was wearing it 24/7 it's bodmod/waist training. If she's wearing it for a couple of hours once in a while, it's her liking corsets. If she's getting boned expensive corsets, then she's wearing the right ones.
Reply 9
La Trampa
If she's comfortable then it's ok.
She's not killing herself if she can get her waist down to 18" when corsetted, it just she's squishable. Once people have experienced the 4", their waists by them may have gone down a little bit and it might not be as 'tight' for lack of a better word. I know loads of people who have more than 4" reductions. The 4" rule is for people who aren't really into corsets or who are first trying it out because it's most comfortable for them. I have one corset that gives a 4" reduction, and another one in the same style that gives a 6" reduction.

You never know, she might be waist training..but I kinda doubt it from what you've described.

A squishy gf! I'm worried she's gonna squish too far.

She has never mentioned she's wantin to waist train but she does want to close this 18" corset. Last night we had a night in and she put it on at 5 closed bout half way. At 9 she got me to tighten it some more, I'd guess to bout 20" judging by the gap at the back. That felt quite tight to me as the one pullin the laces and she was defo noticing it. Then at 11 she got me to try and tighten it again and I was not very keen and said no. She pestered so eentually i tried and i guess it went another 1/2 to 3/4 " - still over aninch to go before closed. She was defo uncomfortable with that but she still wore it til bout 1

I dunno wot to do, she wants me to tighten it, but i cant say i feel like doing so.

Love thelook of her wearin a corset but its gettin freaky at the mo!
Reply 10
The Strangest Quark
It does sound like she's going a bit fast with it. Also, when you get into the realms of very small corsets, it goes from fashion to actual body-modification, which needs to be considered. And for extreme waist reduction, it is really important that the corset is properly fitted so it doesn't squash your innards in the wrong way, or just become incredibly uncomfortable. My corset is a pretty cheap off-the-peg one (I'm a poor student), but if I was going for serious tightlacing I would definitely save up and get one made to measure. I think you should definitely have a talk to her about it, and find out how she feels about this, and how far she wants to go with it. I'm sure there is a lot of excellent information on the internet on this kind of thing, to make sure she isn't doing anything that might be harmful.

I hav read some stuff on the internet bout it. The last 2 corsets she's had hav been expensive, though not made to measure.
Why would someone be so unhappy with their body as to go through physical torture? :eek:

Corsets belong in the 18th century.
Reply 12
From what you've said, I wouldn't worry about it for now. 6" reduction isn't that big a deal.

But as she's been buying increasingly smaller corsets, I'd talk to her about it more seriously if she wants to get an even smaller one.
Reply 13
Keziah
From what you've said, I wouldn't worry about it for now. 6" reduction isn't that big a deal.

But as she's been buying increasingly smaller corsets, I'd talk to her about it more seriously if she wants to get an even smaller one.

I think an even smaller one wud be a whole new level as it'd be less than 18" which is not off the shelf. She never really has reason why she wants to go smaller - she has a great figure anyway. I dunno what it is.
La Trampa
6" inches isn't body modification, just because it goes down to an 18". If she was wearing it 24/7 it's bodmod/waist training. If she's wearing it for a couple of hours once in a while, it's her liking corsets. If she's getting boned expensive corsets, then she's wearing the right ones.

Fair enough, but I do feel it is better to be cautious than rush in headlong with this kind of thing - I think for me 6" would be getting into the realms of bodmod, but I'm not that squishy, and in general thin girls aren't that squishy. And it does sound like this girl is having trouble getting past a 4" reduction anyway even in the smaller corset. Which implies that to get that extra 2" would take some degree of waist training.

I'd actually also be more cautious about it only being done infrequently, when it is quite a large reduction, than if it was very regular, because it makes it more of a strain on the body to be occasionally really squashed than to be regularly gently squeezed. I've got more cautious about this myself as I've found that just putting on a corset and lacing it right up without a long warm-up period and getting used to wearing it and stuff leaves me with all sorts of aches and pains the next day. I might just be getting old :frown:.
Reply 15
The Strangest Quark
Fair enough, but I do feel it is better to be cautious than rush in headlong with this kind of thing - I think for me 6" would be getting into the realms of bodmod, but I'm not that squishy, and in general thin girls aren't that squishy. And it does sound like this girl is having trouble getting past a 4" reduction anyway even in the smaller corset. Which implies that to get that extra 2" would take some degree of waist training.

I'd actually also be more cautious about it only being done infrequently, when it is quite a large reduction, than if it was very regular, because it makes it more of a strain on the body to be occasionally really squashed than to be regularly gently squeezed. I've got more cautious about this myself as I've found that just putting on a corset and lacing it right up without a long warm-up period and getting used to wearing it and stuff leaves me with all sorts of aches and pains the next day. I might just be getting old :frown:.

How long wud you consider a warmup period? Last night she wore it for 4 hours before going tighter. She has never complained bout ache and pains the next day mind.

How long a period do you wear yours for typically? Do you find it uncomfortable a all?

Last night sarah was figeting loads after i tightened it the second time so i cud tell she was uncomfortable.
6 inches isn't bod mod at all people. people who exercise and lose 6inches off their body aren't bodmods are they?

when people put on corsets, they don't just tighten it by 6 inches...the body has to adjust, then slowly they decrease the gap. for some it's 20mins, for others it's 2 hours, for others it can take years...again depending on how squishy they are. if she can fully close her 4 22inch corset, then obviously it'll take less time for her to get into her 18 inch one. The thing is, after wearing corset for a long time, it does help reduce the waist, not because of the corset pushing the ribs, but because of the things the person does whilst wearing the corset..so they eat less when wearing it, they stand up striaght increasing good posture, they lose a bit of fat.

if she was wearing it 24/7 that's when you should be worried because that would be in the realms of bod mod. for anyone who wears corsets, they know they can get a bit uncomfortable. i'm sure your gf knows that after every tightening it's going to be a bit uncomfortable because the body has to adjust..it's like wearing shoes a size smaller. she will have no doubt learnt she has to take it easy and won't go as tight next time. i'd also like to point out that although she might have an 18 inch corset,there's every chance that she might not be able to close it fully, just for physical reasons. i would be worried when she begins to 'force' herself to get it fully closed, i.e. when it becomes an issue for her. also finally on the uncomfortable thing, if you see that clearly her tightening the corset is after heR breathing or something, then i suggest you loosen it or make her loosen it. If she's just uncomfortable that it's tight and she can still get on her normal stuff, then she's ok..again it's like wearing something a size smaller, it'll be uncomfortable but it's not deadly.

another thing, just because it wasn't made to her exact measurements, it's still a proper corset, because all the expensive ones use real boning and are slightly 'made to measure' when compared to off the peg corsets.. you may never know though, she might have sent her measurements off to where ever she got it from.
emt123
How long wud you consider a warmup period? Last night she wore it for 4 hours before going tighter. She has never complained bout ache and pains the next day mind.

How long a period do you wear yours for typically? Do you find it uncomfortable a all?

Last night sarah was figeting loads after i tightened it the second time so i cud tell she was uncomfortable.

Well, my 22" one I got a couple of months ago, and I've been wearing it for a couple of hours a day whenever I have time, only as tight as is comfortable to get used to it, as my eventual aim is to be able to wear it comfortably for an evening clubbing, and be able to dance in it. I usually lace it just tight enough to stay on and leave it like that for about 15 minutes and then keep easing it a little tighter, and keep it on for a few hours, but loosen it if it starts to get uncomfortable (this one presses on my ribs a bit more than I'd like at the top). When I first got it I was a bit eager to try it on and laced it up quite quickly quite tightly which is when I was a bit achey in my lower back the next day - since then I've gone a lot slower, and I'm not forcing it at all - I'm now getting it within an inch of closed without much discomfort. It is a lot better on an empty stomach, unsurprisingly. And every time it goes a bit tighter a bit easier. But i think that it is much better in the long run not to rush it, and not to do anything that is overly uncomfortable. Patience and practice and all that.

To be honest, they can get quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours regardless of tightness - I've had a 26" victorian style one for ages and even that gets uncomfortable after a night of wearing it. I think it's more about the fit than the size per se in that case, and the posture.
Reply 18
Don't some girls wear them for the discomfort? (amongst other reasons)
emt123
A squishy gf! I'm worried she's gonna squish too far.

She has never mentioned she's wantin to waist train but she does want to close this 18" corset. Last night we had a night in and she put it on at 5 closed bout half way. At 9 she got me to tighten it some more, I'd guess to bout 20" judging by the gap at the back. That felt quite tight to me as the one pullin the laces and she was defo noticing it. Then at 11 she got me to try and tighten it again and I was not very keen and said no. She pestered so eentually i tried and i guess it went another 1/2 to 3/4 " - still over aninch to go before closed. She was defo uncomfortable with that but she still wore it til bout 1

I dunno wot to do, she wants me to tighten it, but i cant say i feel like doing so.

Love thelook of her wearin a corset but its gettin freaky at the mo!

just tell her that you're worried, When you size a corset I know you have to give your actual waist measurement and they give you a size for 2 inches less, she shouldn't really go over 4 inches all the time, and its odd that she keeps getting you to tighten and tighten...it suggests that she's more focused on waist training, or that she's insecure about her waist size, rather than just wearing a corset because it looks nice

Latest