The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

piece_by_piece
What makes you say that?

They aren't really a requirment ... dont get me round its great to get a couple of A*'s but I hate the fact that people get so worked up and annoyed if they dont get all A*'s :|
Miserable Colours
They aren't really a requirment ... dont get me round its great to get a couple of A*'s but I hate the fact that people get so worked up and annoyed if they dont get all A*'s :|

Well for some subjects it may as well be a requirement. Basically, the more you get the better, but if you don't get any it's not the end of the world. (IMO anyway!)
Reply 162
Hmmm, I don't think it matters at all how many A*s you get. Afterall, it's just a rough indicator of where you're at. Getting an A* at GCSE certainly doesn't mean you will sail through that certain subject at higher levels(that's why you get lots people who got A* at GCSE languages and failing their A-level courses).
And same is said for an A or below. One of my friend only got an A in Geography at GCSE and she has got 600/600 in her Geography A-level. :smile:

16 Bananas
usually an A* at GCSE is 70%.

Errrm, not to be rude ro anything but that's not the case at all! According to the statistics, A* is usually awarded to those who get 88%+ - that's a rough average for all the subjects.
I.e. some has super high boundaries, like Art (98-9%). Some have quite low ones, like English Literature(77-8%, but I think they are going to set it on 80% from this year on-wards).
And for languages, 90%+ is an A*(of course, UMS-wise only!).
Nimbus
Hmmm, I don't think it matters at all how many A*s you get. Afterall, it's just a rough indicator of where you're at. Getting an A* at GCSE certainly doesn't mean you will sail through that certain subject at higher levels(that's why you get lots people who got A* at GCSE languages and failing their A-level courses).
And same is said for an A or below. One of my friend only got an A in Geography at GCSE and she has got 600/600 in her Geography A-level. :smile:

Errrm, not to be rude ro anything but that's not the case at all! According to the statistics, A* is usually awarded to those who get 88%+ - that's a rough average for all the subjects.
I.e. some has super high boundaries, like Art (98-9%). Some have quite low ones, like English Literature(77-8%, but I think they are going to set it on 80% from this year on-wards).
And for languages, 90%+ is an A*(of course, UMS-wise only!).

That is artist (:rolleyes:)
English Literaturist
And languagist!

I think the barrier should be 88% - no more, no less, for whatever subject it is. :shifty:
Reply 164
zero A*'s

but i got the grades when it mattered :smile:
Reply 165
27 with 15+?!

Surely that's a bit too many...
Right now I've only got 1 since I've only sat my core science gcse and an A 'no star' in short course religious studies.
94.5642 million

Latest