The Student Room Group

can you lend me your brains please ? as physics,aqa

Despite looking at this question again an again, i dont know how to approach it. it's to do with photoelectric emmision.

I 've been asked to find the maximum speed of a photoelectron emitted from the surface of a metal surface.
I've been told :
-photon energy[3.32x10^-19 J]
-work function-[2.90x10^-19 J]
- aswell as Mass of an electron[9.11x10^-31kg] and
plancks constant[6.6x10^-34Js]

I don't know how to approach the question.:confused:
(perhaps part of it is to do with me being in a slightly zombified state by hey!)
Can anyone asist me please ?:rolleyes:
Reply 1
You know that a photont completely gives up it's energy when it meets an electron. However, electric forces must be overcome for the electron to be released from the metal. This minimum amount of energy required is called the work function.

If the photon can only completely give up it's energy then the photon's energy minus the work function must be the e;ectrons kinetic energy.

You know that the kinetic cnergy KE = 1/2mv^2.

You know the kinetic energy and the mass .. just sub to find the maximum speed.

(it is the maximum because the phootn can sometimes travel deeper into the metal and then if it hits an electron, weven moe energy is required.).
DeanK2
You know that a photont completely gives up it's energy when it meets an electron.However, electric forces must be overcome for the electron to be released from the metal. This minimum amount of energy required is called the work function.

If the photon can only completely give up it's energy then the photon's energy minus the work function must be the e;ectrons kinetic energy.

You know that the kinetic cnergy KE = 1/2mv^2.

You know the kinetic energy and the mass .. just sub to find the maximum speed.

(it is the maximum because the phootn can sometimes travel deeper into the metal and then if it hits an electron, weven moe energy is required.).

ahh...thnks. much appreciated <3
perhaps i need to re-read the txtbook.
the maximum speed bit threw me off.
& i dunno now if i have such a sound grasp on what exactly photons do ...:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Mismatched_dollie_pepper
ahh...thnks. much appreciated <3
perhaps i need to re-read the txtbook.
the maximum speed bit threw me off.
& i dunno now if i have such a sound grasp on what exactly photons do ...:s-smilie:

If you do be prepared to be the most famous physicist of ALL time. Feynman couldn't answer, Einstein and Dirac were not able to imagine. It is quantum and wierd - in fact, I am confused as to how Maxwell's wave equations and the time varying poynting vector show that the energy of an em wave must be lower than that of a photon of light of the same frequencie, and yet people suppport Maxwell's equation and regulary use them quoting - they are not flawed and perfect. Come on ... It is crazy.
Reply 4
Sorry, you want to know what they do. My mistake. Well, they aren't a particle in the conventional sense, and their relativisic properties also deny us imagining (or should I say specifying) it's approximate location even more so than a normal 'particle' who only obeys Heisenberg;s uncertainty principle. You should not think of it as being a soley particla nature. You should think of a probability wave near it (see Heisesnberg's uncertainty and relativistic effects). Also, you can't specify it's path (If you are interested as to why this is so, read Feynman's path integral article on wiki). It is pure enrgy and not made up of anything smaller. You can't imagine how it travels. All a photon is a way of energy being transefeered from one place to another.
DeanK2
Sorry, you want to know what they do. My mistake. Well, they aren't a particle in the conventional sense, and their relativisic properties also deny us imagining (or should I say specifying) it's approximate location even more so than a normal 'particle' who only obeys Heisenberg;s uncertainty principle. You should not think of it as being a soley particla nature. You should think of a probability wave near it (see Heisesnberg's uncertainty and relativistic effects). Also, you can't specify it's path (If you are interested as to why this is so, read Feynman's path integral article on wiki). It is pure enrgy and not made up of anything smaller. You can't imagine how it travels. All a photon is a way of energy being transefeered from one place to another.

hey.soz for the delayed reply.
why is physics so complicated?:shifty:
i've come to the conclusion that my text book is too concise when it comes to the photoelectron emission topic. will try to find other explanations to aid my understanding on it.
-lol. Will print out your above explaination for comprehension l8r.:p:

Latest