The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yup there is. go to the postgrads side of trent where the computer room is and go to the lowest floor, go through the corriddor with the rooms on the right and at the end on the left is the tunnel. i try to take students through it when i'm doing a campus tour but always forget where it is from the portland side. i know it's close to the ark i.e mooch/the venue
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
La Trampa
i know it's close to the ark i.e mooch/the venue

it's the stairs at the opposite end of the portland building (the end closest to Trent) - just go down them and I think there are signs.

There's an awesome really old fashioned lift down there (the type where you have to open the door yourself and there's one of those lattice inner doors. When I went in it I couldn't work out how to make it go back down, and we ended up inside a locked seminar room. Luckily the one of the windows was unlocked so we climbed out (turned out it was ground level) - I wouldn't recommend using it!!

Also there's a fire exit that comes out in the middle of a wall near the Trent Building car park, which is a bit weird the first time you come out of it and realise where you are.
Reply 3
haha you see.i can never find it from the portland end. oo i'd like to try the lift.
It's accessible from the Language Suite, i went through it the other day - when you walk into the Trent building main doors and see the reception, turn left - keep walking until you reach the stairs - go down the stairs until you reach Lower Ground, which I think is just the one flight - you will see double doors directly in front of you - look to the left and there is another set - go through the doors to the left - Keep walking in a straight line until you see the sign that says 'Language Suite' - to your left there will be a door in an alcove thing, open it and there you have it :smile:
I was really excited when I found the tunnel!! The echoes in there are fantastic..
Reply 6
This tunnel sounds exciting! I'd be too afraid to go by myself though and most the the people I've become acquainted with here are girls so it'd look really dodgy if I lured any of them down there :P
Reply 7
it's not a dodgy tunnel, at night maybe alone, but it's quite a nice light blue if i remember correctly. nice and echoey though, could have a nice rave down there :biggrin:
Haha it's really quiet but quite big - nothing seedy! :biggrin:
Reply 9
That doesn't sound too bad then! I'll find someone to drag in there between lectures tomorrow if I can! :P
Lol fancy a tunnel meet at 3pm? I'll have just come from a language workshop :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thanks guys, I found it this morning, it was pretty cool. :p: If you want to find it from the Portland end, go in the main entrance on the lake side, turn left and go all the way through until you get to a room closed off by big glass doors (it's a support centre or something, didn't pay too much attention) then go right just before that, down a few stairs and there you are.

That lift sounds fun, didn't see any signs of it today though.

I did get curious about a big door under the stairs next to the Portland building though (next to whatever office building 13 on the map is, also where the big ramps are down to the car park). The door's locked but if you go round the back you can see that through there it heads down underground. :confused:
Reply 12
markdr

If you're going from Portland to Trent, it's on the right hand side of the corridor, about a third of the way down the wall before the tunnel turns left. (The fire exit is on the right hand wall just after the left hand turn)
Reply 13

Ooh, this sounds kinda fun. I may go investigate at some point, lol.
markdr
Thanks guys, I found it this morning, it was pretty cool. :p: If you want to find it from the Portland end, go in the main entrance on the lake side, turn left and go all the way through until you get to a room closed off by big glass doors (it's a support centre or something, didn't pay too much attention) then go right just before that, down a few stairs and there you are.

I did get curious about a big door under the stairs next to the Portland building though (next to whatever office building 13 on the map is, also where the big ramps are down to the car park). The door's locked but if you go round the back you can see that through there it heads down underground. :confused:

I was looking for the tunnel myself today thinking it was on the lower ground floor where Mooch is.

Thanks for the heads up - I take it that the tunnel is just off some stairs near the Student Support area on C floor , it seems quite well hidden (until now that is :p: )
Reply 15
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Thanks for the heads up - I take it that the tunnel is just off some stairs near the Student Support area on C floor , it seems quite well hidden (until now that is :p: )
Not sure honestly, I just know it was on the floor you come in on from the entrance on the side by the lake, then all the way to the left. It was easier to find from the Trent side, just going as far east as you can on the LG floor (through a weird added corridor with a plastic roof).
Yes, it's near to Student Services :smile:
Reply 17
I've hunted out some floor plans for you:
Portland Building A Floor
Portland Building B Floor

The lift's marked there as a box with a cross in it - it's just above the big arrow next to "Tunnel to Trent Building". The map's a little out of date, because The Venue is still referred to as The Ark, and Mooch is still just A32.

I must have ended up in B7 when I went in the lift - the door into B6 was unlocked, but all the doors coming out of B6 were locked, so my acquaintances and I had to climb out of a window...
Reply 18
I went in the tunnel in Monday :smile: I went in the fire exit and found the lift and scary solitary chair in the corner! We then went outside where it chucks you out in the car park between trent and portland and looked to see where the windows in the roof of the tunnel were. They were surrounded by hedges and I never would have noticed them in my three years here otherwise!
Couldn't get the lift to work but did get it to make a buzzing sound which scared my companion to death :P
Reply 19
CE49
I went in the tunnel in Monday :smile: I went in the fire exit and found the lift and scary solitary chair in the corner! We then went outside where it chucks you out in the car park between trent and portland and looked to see where the windows in the roof of the tunnel were. They were surrounded by hedges and I never would have noticed them in my three years here otherwise!
Couldn't get the lift to work but did get it to make a buzzing sound which scared my companion to death :P

oh, the one in the fire exit is a different lift. There's also one directly off the corridor, near the portland building end.

Latest

Trending

Trending