The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
topdude
lol, im not shallow enough to care about the vast majority, the people i care about are people with morals and values. and by the way, i think that these are the socially elite people.

Surely elite means the cream of the cream, the top 10%, and hence the vast majority would not fit into this catergary. You are so shallow, that becuase you see gays are accepted on tv, are accepted by people on the streets, you agree so you can be part of what you think of the socially elite, you pathetic waste of life.

Just because the majority of people think something is acceptable it does not make them right, and it does not make them better then everyone else.

but morals and values are subjective. my point is that gay people enjoy one of the best quality of lives in the country. they're substantially richer than the average person (on average!). they work considerably nicer jobs. and they enjoy some kind of elite status where the vast majority of people on earth thing they're the most fabulous thing since sliced bread. whether you deem this to put them in a social elite or not is not the point. the point is they'll be enjoying a considerably better quality of life than you :biggrin: Just something to think about when you condemn them. but you're not shallow enough to care about that!
Reply 41
topdude
lol, im not shallow enough to care about the vast majority, the people i care about are people with morals and values. and by the way, i think that these are the socially elite people.

Just because the majority of people think something is acceptable it does not make them right, and it does not make them better then everyone else.

The insinuation is that gay people don't have morals and values.. if that's what you mean then you're missing the point, of COURSE they have.. do all homosexuals go around in an amoral way, killing people? No, because they do have morals and values, they just don't concur with your own code of belief.

And why is it not right to be gay? If you can give me a better reason than "because I/my religion say/s it is" then I shall eat my hat :smile:
topdude

Surely elite means the cream of the cream, the top 10%, and hence the vast majority would not fit into this catergary. You are so shallow, that becuase you see gays are accepted on tv, are accepted by people on the streets, you agree so you can be part of what you think of the socially elite, you pathetic waste of life.

Gay people can be very caring. I have worked a summer season as cabin crew and 99% of the cabin crew members were gay, with great caring personalities. My best friend is gay and a nurse. Very caring and concerned about others. In fact the have morals and values. Just what is wrong with loving someone of the same sex?
the only problem i have is the way they have to advertise the fact that they are gay, going around reminding everyone that they prefer men. i wish they would just get on with their lives!
Reply 44
jamieholmear
the only problem i have is the way they have to advertise the fact that they are gay, going around reminding everyone that they prefer men. i wish they would just get on with their lives!

I think it was Fishpaste who pointed out earlier in the thread that people like that aren't representative of all gay people, you just notice the loud ones more because the quiet ones do "get on with their lives" as you put it!
Reply 45

I have a lot of gay friends, but saying "gays are great" or "gays are this" is similar to people calling homosexual people something bad. There are nice gay people, there are horrible gay people. There are some nice straight people, some not so nice. Being gay doesn't make you more or less of anything. Its a part of someone but it shouldn't define them as a person unless they want it to. To me my friends are just my friends, if they p*ss me off i very much doubt it will be because they are gay. Just because they are annoying!
Reply 46
To whoever gave me neg rep (glitter I suspect) - I wasn't trying to be big, I don't think I'm better than him (where did I say or imply this?), I know I was a newbie once. All I was doing was pointing out that he seems offended by people who say that homosexuality is abnormal, which is a crazy reaction as they're just telling the truth because your average person isn't gay.

Also :bootyshak
Reply 47
Bezza
Abnormal
Pronunciation: (')ab-'nor-m&l
Function: adjective
1 : deviating from the normal or average

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abnormal

I think most people would agree that the average person is heterosexual, therefore to be homosexual is abnormal.

The dictionary you just referred to also had deviant in the definition of abnormal.

One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

I wouldn't say that the behaviour of gay people differ from accepted social standards at all.

Don't be pedantic.
Reply 48
fishpaste
but morals and values are subjective. my point is that gay people enjoy one of the best quality of lives in the country. they're substantially richer than the average person (on average!). they work considerably nicer jobs. and they enjoy some kind of elite status where the vast majority of people on earth thing they're the most fabulous thing since sliced bread. whether you deem this to put them in a social elite or not is not the point. the point is they'll be enjoying a considerably better quality of life than you :biggrin: Just something to think about when you condemn them. but you're not shallow enough to care about that!

Everyone is claiming that the vast majority of people love/hate homosexuals... :rolleyes:
[IMO]
I'm a Christian, I am an ambassador to Jesus during the duration of my time here. In the Bible, Jesus never compromised his beliefs to meet popular demand and he never condemned people. So that is what I shall do. IMO, homosexuality is wrong, to exactly the same extent that divorce, cheating on your partner, sex outside of marriage, embezzling money from your workplace, bitching behind people's backs, ect, is wrong. But I'm in no condition to wag a finger at anyone who does those things, it would be a case of pot calling kettle black, unfortunately. The old cliché 'love the sinner, hate the sin' applies here.[/IMO]
Reply 49
Dr_Death
Everyone is claiming that the vast majority of people love/hate homosexuals... :rolleyes:
[IMO]
I'm a Christian, I am an ambassador to Jesus during the duration of my time here. In the Bible, Jesus never compromised his beliefs to meet popular demand and he never condemned people. So that is what I shall do. IMO, homosexuality is wrong, to exactly the same extent that divorce, cheating on your partner, sex outside of marriage, embezzling money from your workplace, bitching behind people's backs, ect, is wrong. But I'm in no condition to wag a finger at anyone who does those things, it would be a case of pot calling kettle black, unfortunately. The old cliché 'love the sinner, hate the sin' applies here.[/IMO]

I read a study which said that the Bible doesn't actually condemn gays and their sexual activities, only acts of enforced sodomy. If this is true then the "I'm a Christian" argument could just be a cover-up for preexisting bias and prejudices.

I would read the bible and dismiss/confirm this argument, but.. er.. it's long :redface:
Reply 50
topdude
u people can be gay all u like, but the fact is if anyone of my friends became gay, they would no longer be my friends, and if a family member become gay they would be disowned/killed. ok im sik, im homophobic and i should go back 2 the 18th century.....

Gay people like the same sex. Straight people (myself) like the opposite sex. I just thought I'd clear that up for you, because you seem to think the term "gay" means a total freak with two heads, and an outcast of society who drinks sewage water and lives in a wooden shack in The Andes. No. Gay is the modern way.
Reply 51
F. Poste
I read a study which said that the Bible doesn't actually condemn gays and their sexual activities, only acts of enforced sodomy. If this is true then the "I'm a Christian" argument could just be a cover-up for preexisting bias and prejudices.

I would read the bible and dismiss/confirm this argument, but.. er.. it's long :redface:

Yes, longness is a defining characteristic...

To be honest, sodomy turns my stomach. That's not intolerance or anything, that's just the way I am. You could claim that I'm intolerant and bigoted against GM food manufacturers too... :smile:

In my view, human beings were designed for monogamous heterosexual relationship, (or alternately perpetual batchelorhood,) and that is the best way for us to live our lives. Not because some old abstract book says so, but because the chap who designed us said so, and he knows what he's talking about. Anything that breaks that relationship, is a bad thing, because it's settling for a lower standard and not getting all you could out of life. It would be like getting a powerful Mercedes car but not using the 4th gear, leaving you crawling at 35mph when you could be doing 95...

Hopefully, under all that text, my point is visible somewhere...
Reply 52
Dr_Death
[IMO]

~would it be contradictory then for you to be friends/associate with gay ppl, with ur above opinions ? My position is similar to yours-- I am not against them in any way...i accept them as part of society, tolerate their presence....ok, i'm kinda confused now :confused: :redface:
Reply 53
leopard
~would it be contradictory then for you to be friends/associate with gay ppl, with ur above opinions ? My position is similar to yours-- I am not against them in any way...i accept them as part of society, tolerate their presence....ok, i'm kinda confused now :confused: :redface:

I don't personally know any gay people, or at least, if I do they haven't told me! But they're no different to anyone else, I should treat them as I would treat anyone else. Everyone is doing stuff that is wrong, no sub-groups should be excluded. Jesus dined with tax collectors, they were considered traitors and scum by all the Jews because they were taking Jewish money and giving it to the Romans, and embezzling it too, but Jesus welcomed them and they changed. Hopefully, I wouldn't do anything different. I shouldn't do.
Reply 54
~i mean, ultimately i think there is something not 'normal' in being gay b/c I believe that God created us humans to be heterosexual beings....but in today's society...with so many developments/changing behaviours and attitudes...and being brought up in a secular society....I accept them as 'normal'....hmmm. does that make any sense??

one thing i do disagree with is when same-sex couples want to have children. [i know i'm gonna get bashed now... :ahhhhh: ] this is going back tothe bit above...that children were meant to be brought up (ideally) under the care of a man and woman...i believe it would be damaging for child to be brought up in a society where most ppl have a 'mummy and daddy' and they find themselves with two dads! that's just my thinking on the issue with children...
Reply 55
~*sparkle*~
many people think that to be gay is wrong and shouldnt happen. i have even experienced people who say that it is abnormal!
the truth is that it is not abnormal in any way and people who believe that are either just plain scared that you will try and hit on them, or are narrow minded and still have not begun to live in the 21st century! what really annoys me is the view a lot of my friends have of me, especially when they constantly believe that all i do is slag about with any other gay guy that i think is fit.
what are your opinions on gay people?

awww bless you hun! ignore em! as you say, they still havent managed to catch up and start living in the 21st century! just coz ur gay doesnt mean that they can pre-judge you or anything! they more than likely are just being insecure about their own sexuality! being gay is no more abnormal than being straight. its not about who you're attracted to, its what makes you happy that counts :smile:
Reply 56
Dr_Death
I don't personally know any gay people, or at least, if I do they haven't told me! But they're no different to anyone else, I should treat them as I would treat anyone else. Everyone is doing stuff that is wrong, no sub-groups should be excluded. Jesus dined with tax collectors, they were considered traitors and scum by all the Jews because they were taking Jewish money and giving it to the Romans, and embezzling it too, but Jesus welcomed them and they changed. Hopefully, I wouldn't do anything different. I shouldn't do.

~ok..same here. well said DD :smile:
Reply 57
I dislike the "it's not natural" argument.. Why is it so pleasurable for gay people if it's something innately wrong?

Plus.. even if certain parts of our bodies were designed in order to fulfil a function, it doesn't mean it's wrong to use it for another function.. Funny how homosexual sex is wrong because we are "meant" to have sex in order to conceive. Funny how these same people likely engage in sexual relations that don't result in conception. Elaboration will get me banned but I'm sure it's not hard to guess what I'm getting at.

To extend it to a non-sexual example.. we use our hands for loads of things. If our hands and the way we use them have evolved in order to help us carry out functions to keep us alive, why is it still okay to use them for things not related to our survival?
Reply 58
leopard
~i mean, ultimately i think there is something not 'normal' in being gay b/c I believe that God created us humans to be heterosexual beings....but in today's society...with so many developments/changing behaviours and attitudes...and being brought up in a secular society....I accept them as 'normal'....hmmm. does that make any sense??

one thing i do disagree with is when same-sex couples want to have children. [i know i'm gonna get bashed now... :ahhhhh: ] this is going back tothe bit above...that children were meant to be brought up (ideally) under the care of a man and woman...i believe it would be damaging for child to be brought up in a society where most ppl have a 'mummy and daddy' and they find themselves with two dads! that's just my thinking on the issue with children...

I think the question about adoption is whether homosexual parents are better or worse than an orphanage, or a chain of foster families. And to be honest, I've got no idea, I cannot answer that question until I know some gay people and gay couples, and know more about what their relationships are like.
Reply 59
~ok, but i'm thinking of the child here. THe infant is the innocent one, i don't think it's right that jsut because the couple WANT a child, they automatically have a right to be parents....it's not a 'natural' environment for the child. there must be a reason why only a man and woman can create a child..if we look at evolution and the whole story...somewhere down the track, there weren't two male whales that managed to conceive a baby whale! We look at the sturggle for survival...the upbringing of a child with a mother and father must be the ideal environment...imo

Latest

Trending

Trending