The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Woahyou've been accepted to Cambridge already? (non-related question)
Reply 2
SiaSiaSia
Woahyou've been accepted to Cambridge already? (non-related question)

yeah... last january
I got a place for deferred entry and I'm currently on a Gap year
I think (for me at least) everyone in Cambridge hears whether they got an offer on the same date (usually 3rd of Jan or so) regarless of their subject
Reply 3
Rather than a specific introduction, the most useful thing might be to read the original works (in English translation) - both Nietzsche and Kafka are very readable and interesting. For other introductions, there are quite a few; have a look in the library, see what they have.
Other great German philosophers, if a bit less accessible are Frege, Kant and Wittgenstein; might be worth looking them up as well.
Reply 4
joth
Rather than a specific introduction, the most useful thing might be to read the original works (in English translation) - both Nietzsche and Kafka are very readable and interesting. For other introductions, there are quite a few; have a look in the library, see what they have.
Other great German philosophers, if a bit less accessible are Frege, Kant and Wittgenstein; might be worth looking them up as well.

which works do you suggest?
Reply 5
yellowwdaisy
which works do you suggest?

For Kafka, The Trial and Metamorphosis are probably a fairly representative sample. For Nietzsche, try Thus Spake Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil.

For Frege, The Foundations of Arithmetic are a great summary of many aspects of his philosophy, and is a great book to read.

I'm not too familiar with Kant and others - in fact, it might be worth getting a general guide anyway, which can give you a more expert opinion about the most important works of each.
Reply 6
Those are good works to try, I'm not sure about the Frege though tbh. I'd have a read of those before you move onto Kant etc.

You can get a copy of Wittgenstein's Tractatus where on all the left hand pages its written in English and on the right hand pages in German. That's pretty interesting if you want to read something actually in German - although I warn you, the Tractatus isnt an easy read!

Latest

Trending

Trending