The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well, no, I can understand that. I'd hate to go to an educational establishment with such an effeminate name, now I've crossed Queens' off my list I can't decide between Clare and Emma.

Queens' has a way higher than average number of applicants for the number of places it has, and is a larger than average college. Not sure why it is that not all that many find it to TSR, it's just luck of the draw. Weirdly, most of the regular Queens' contributors are philosophers, which make up about 1% of the population. :/
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
:biggrin: I thought it was odd too.
Reply 22
Keeps us off the streets.
Reply 23
And people say that philosophers don't get enough work.
Reply 24
There seems to be a unacceptably small number of applicants on this forum for what is undoubtedly the most awesome college at Cambridge. As a result, I have come out of hiding to partly rectify what is clearly a travesty of a situation ;-)... Anyway, I'm coming to study medicine at Queens' this October and I can't wait! See you all there...
Reply 25
Revolver
There seems to be a unacceptably small number of applicants on this forum for what is undoubtedly the most awesome college at Cambridge. As a result, I have come out of hiding to partly rectify what is clearly a travesty of a situation ;-)... Anyway, I'm coming to study medicine at Queens' this October and I can't wait! See you all there...

You're right! It sucks that there are so few of us on here. Maybe they're too scared to venture away from Facebook.
You'll have to do some advertising for TSR around the college. :p: I still can't quite believe I got an offer, it's like a really great daydream...
Reply 27
It's not too bad, really. You've got to remember that there's only about 180ish people out there with offers from Queens', you can't expect more than a few percent to find their way here. Unless they're going to be studying philosophy, in which case they're destined to, it seems.

Miss Queens' normally happens in Michaelmas term, and is very much like watching a car crash, where all involved are drunk and dressed up in drag. It's horrendous, sickening, and good fun. Most colleges have their own Miss <college>, though, they're charity events.
Reply 28
I feel quite intrigued by Queen's.

At the risk of sounding like just another on the Queen's TSR philosophy heap, can anybody tell me what it's like to read philosophy there? Thinking of applying for 2008.

Much obliged :smile:
Reply 29
7teen
I have an offer at Queens! For Economics. Haha.. isn't the bridge so great, you walk in and there's a river and a bridge right beside you :biggrin:

congrats! third yr queens' economist here so if you have any qns fire away.

BTW yes we do have a Ms. Queens' and it is quite cringing to watch to be honest.

BTW i helped out the later interviews so i may have seen some of you there...good luck anyways.
Reply 30
zeno89
I feel quite intrigued by Queen's.

At the risk of sounding like just another on the Queen's TSR philosophy heap, can anybody tell me what it's like to read philosophy there? Thinking of applying for 2008.

Much obliged :smile:

oops, sorry for the lateness of this reply, I thought I'd replied to it when I first saw your post but I obviously didn't. Either I'm immensely forgetful or technologically incompetent. Maybe both.

There's not an awful lot to say that is particular to studying philosophy at Queens', because for the most part teaching for all subjects is dealt with by the faculties rather than the colleges. Our current DoS has been, however, really quite good for us (I think), and our supervisors are on the whole excellent.

If you have any particular questions about either Queens' or philosophy then post away here or in the philosophy thread on the main Cambridge forum, or just PM me or one of the other Queenspeople or philosophers about... it's kind of difficult to discuss stuff unless you have slightly more specific questions.

There's loads of information available for public viewing on the faculty website, as well. :smile:

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/
Reply 31
hehe im actually right now in the process of organising miss queens. getting some men to get sponsored to have their legs waxed on stage....mmm
Gael
hehe im actually right now in the process of organising miss queens. getting some men to get sponsored to have their legs waxed on stage....mmm

:toofunny: I absolutely NEED to see this! :biggrin:
Reply 33
It's got a sort of car-crash quality. At the same time horrifying and compulsive watching.
super_qi2
My gf and her mate organised a sponsored leg wax for charity (about 100 of us signed up), but the school stopped it, because of health and safety reasons, haha.
I also (stupidly) made a bet with the same 2 people, that I would get dressed up as a woman n go out if I got into Cambridge, hahaha. Think i'm doing it in a couple of weeks, woo!! Anyone get the feeling my gf is a secret lesbian n trying to turn me into a woman?

I trust the photos will end up online somewhere? :wink: :p:
hey, I'm coming down to cambridge on 5th may for the maths open day and I'm coming to see Queens. I still don't know if I want to read maths, or go off to do Dance, pretty silly desicion, hey. Well, I love contemporary dance, obviously seing my decion, and I was wondering what's the group like in Queens because I heard about it. Also, what's it like in general, is it 'funky'? well, I guess I'm gunna see when I come down, hey.
Reply 36
I think that it was only setting up this year, but they put on a show this year in the Fitzpatrick Hall... I'm not sure what the quality is like because I know nothing about dance and didn't go to the show.

However, the girls who are currently in charge of it are absolutely lovely. They won't be here if (and when) you got here, though, so that's pretty irrelevant.

Great to see that you're thinking of applying to Queens' -- I want a growing Welsh contingent here. :P
Reply 37
My school received a letter from Queens' asking if anything has changed since I was interviewed, which seemed to get my teachers a bit confused, lol. Did everyone get this letter?
It also said on it that there would still be a chance of me being accepted even if i didnt make their conditional offer. Any idea how likely this is?
Reply 38
It's just a letter asking whether you've had any change in circumstances regarding teaching etc since you applied. They often take disrupted teaching or extended illness etc. into consideration when considering your grades. If you've had problems then get your school to tell them, and if you haven't then don't worry about it.

About not hitting the grades: apparently they take people with missed grades, though it's certainly not something that ought to be relied upon. It's best to try to ensure you get the grades, rather than fretting the "What if"'s. Hopefully I'll be seeing you next year. :smile:

Cf
What's Classics like at Queens'? I walked past and fell in love with the bridge!
Can anyone give me some advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending